Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times

Advertisements

Most neighborhoods are made up of a single ethnicity.
But there's a couple of multicultural neighborhoods.

What I see is mostly older people that stick with their own kind.

Younger people don't care. i.e. me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
HI I currently live in Houston and out of curiosity i wanted to put this question out there.

How often do people see inter-racial friends hanging out and partying together?

Over in Houston; although it is diverse there is a type of demographic that people stick with. Literally, all you see around is Asian People with other Asian People, Indean People with Indean people, White folks with other White Folks and so on.

To me this doesn't count as diversity.

And in case I ever move to Chicago(which i really want to) is there a same type of atmosphere as there is in HoustoN?
I am somewhat a newbie to the city, but from what I can tell it varies by neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM

75 posts, read 201,019 times
Chicago is the most segregated and racist big city....That says a lot - point black, however, I do not want to generalize race relations and say that all whites stick together as well as blacks, hispanics or any other racial group. However, I will say the uniqueness about Chicago is that with this ethnic enclaves, you can have a true and genuine experience of different cultures, foods, events, etc that you might not get in a city like Charlotte, Houston, Atlanta or Miami.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Neighborhood-wise, Chicago is very segregated. However, alot of these divisions are more a result of the historical makeup of neighborhoods rather than currently held prejudices. In general it doesn't seem like people have a LOT of diversity in their social circles; however, I really think this is a product of neighborhood segregation.

Overall I think Chicago is very accepting of diversity and inter-racial relations; it's just that a lot of people don't meet people different from themselves due to neighborhoods. When I lived in Boys Town though it was VERY common to see bi-racial couples and groups of friends.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM

75 posts, read 201,019 times
Yeah, but still does't discount the endemic institutional and social racism that is notorious in the city

Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This question has been covered a couple times I believe.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Yeah, but still does't discount the endemic institutional and social racism that is notorious in the city
Jargon.

A Black man from Chicago is now president, I don't want to hear anyone crying about racism anymore. Few who signify give a damn about race anymore, even those disposed to be racists don't much care anymore, there are bigger fish to fry. If someone is a loser they better look to themselves.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Chicago is still segregated where one single group can dominate 90% of the neighborhood. The most integrated section in Chicago is the Northside and a few neighborhoods on the southside. Despite this, Chicago is accepting of interracial relationships, but still have a ways to go until it reach NYC or West Coast level. It's odd that the greatest Midwest city is also one of the most segregated in the country. Ironically, the suburbs are more integrated than the city, well it least for now.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 PM

381 posts, read 842,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Jargon.

A Black man from Chicago is now president, I don't want to hear anyone crying about racism anymore. Few who signify give a damn about race anymore, even those disposed to be racists don't much care anymore, there are bigger fish to fry. If someone is a loser they better look to themselves.
Irishtom29, so you're saying racism doesn't exist?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
Irishtom29, so you're saying racism doesn't exist?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago