Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:03 AM

53 posts, read 348,930 times

Advertisements

Seems like every New Yorker's moving out to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 22,025 times
Thanks for all of the information and intelligent replies. I actually feel a bit less worried. It does seem like there are some major cultural differences between Chicago AA's and New York AA's, but I guess that will just take some getting used to when I run into it. I think I will miss the more progressive and intellectual attitude toward cultural differences that are prevalent on the east coast... but I'm sure there are other things to look forward to. I don't mean to offend. I look forward to Chicago - but you have to admit - the internationalness and cosmopolitaness of NYC is unsurpassed.

As for this and similar replies...

Quote:
I think that biracial individuals miss out on the "minority experience by isolating themselves. "Class is a state of mind". Do you feel connected to African American culture? Being called sister is a gesture of respect. I know Caucasians who admire the black/ African culture more that biracial individuals such as you. It's sad to see such self-deprecation and misinformation. Also, research more historical facts of the socially economic structure of America to get true understanding, love and compassion for YOUR OWN people. "

From one sista to another

It's not about where you're from but where you're AT"
Regardless of color - Being called sister, honey or anything else extra familiar by people I don't know is not respectful and endearing to me - it's weird. But that's my culture -- which you can't dictate to me and is why I choose not to associate with people like you - not because of the color of our skins. I reject when white people and all other sorts of people try to dictate my identity and culture to me, too.

Strange how being of a different culture is cause for some AA's to judge, criticize and attack people who are different from them. Self-hating, self-deprecating, blah blah blah... From people who don't know you from Adam. But are still panicked that you don't think the same way. Funny, how if we took your little rant and switched the adjectives "biracial" and "black," it would be called what it is - racist and hateful.

Quote:
Also, research more historical facts of the socially economic structure of America to get true understanding, love and compassion for YOUR OWN people. "
By this I assume you mean "American Black" - not the people who make up my ancestry. Thank you for clarifying who "my" people are for me, oh wise "sista." I'm such a silly, self-hating biracial.

Quote:
From one sista to another

It's not about where you're from but where you're AT"
I'm so glad you know "where I'm at," too. It really helped clarify for me that despite all the insightful replies from people like Manigault, Drover and j33 - What I've heard about Chicago race relations is really true.

I won't even bother to read this forum again. I know all I need to know.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
To thine own self be true. There is a man who lives a block from me. He has three white grandparents and one who is black. On his arm is a tattoo: "Black Power".

Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 185,088 times
You are a wonderful and honest and courageous young man. You really bared your soul here. I am not biologically biracial, however was raised socially biracial, if that makes sense. Everything you state here I have in my own way experienced. Chicago sounds quite difinitive in regard to neighborhoods and I know you'll find your home and success in school. I am proud to have come across such a thougtful andf insightful young man of mixed heritage.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
The city is very segregated as far as living, but out working or wandering around you see and work with people of all races, etc. It's a very mixed city, just not where people actually live.

Crime is also extremely segregated in this city, and this tends to keep the different races from mixing as far as housing, etc.

Here are some crime statistics on Chicago:

Chicago is basically 33% black, 33% white, and 33% hispanic (not exactly, but surprisingly close).

You would think the homicides would be those %'s too if things were all equal.

Murders in Chicago by race:

White: 6.5%
Hispanic 20%
Black 73.5%

The murderers were:

White: 5.2%
Hispanic: 18.4%
Black: 75.4%

I really wish people would start looking at the social and underlying issues with race in this city, and not just ignore the problem as long as it's confined to distinct quarters of the city. We need to start attacking the root of the issues in this city and country, as opposed to just attacking the results. Attack underlying prejudices, attack failed urban schools, attack policing problems and a lack of services in certain neighborhoods.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 PM

This is unfair.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 PM

CharlotteYork is brilliant and confident. He should not be treatly harshly and judged. Biracial identity is real, valid and whole. He deserves a place and voice in this world.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 PM

I think that biracial individuals miss out on the "minority experience by isolating themselves. "Class is a state of mind". Do you feel connected to African American culture? Being called sister is a gesture of respect. I know Caucasians who admire the black/ African culture more that biracial individuals such as you. It's sad to see such self-deprecation and misinformation. Also, research more historical facts of the socially economic structure of America to get true understanding, love and compassion for YOUR OWN people. "

This is so unfair. Search your heart and consider that white people may feel more comfortable with African-Americans and Asians rather than biracial people because they may not feel threatened by African-Americans and Asians who stay in their expected boxes and places. Honestly, why are you so angry at biracial people?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM

100 posts, read 408,110 times
[quote=Chicago60614;853720]The city is very segregated as far as living, but out working or wandering around you see and work with people of all races, etc. It's a very mixed city, just not where people actually live.

For a person with a Lincoln Park zip code please tell me where you see this in your vicinity. Chicago is the prime example of what segregation is. Not only where people live, but also socioeconomically, and the sad part is that even the workplace tends to be very homogeneous. Mixed in what way, there absolutely no signs of integration, just separation.

Why did you even bring up the homicide statistics....you are basically fueling the stereotype that most black people commit crime. The key thing is inclusion and basically when you make certain parts of the city inacessible towards certain minority groups ala people who live in your neighborhood, segregation forms. It is like this in almost every neighborhood in chicago... and it is sad cause I don't remember chicago being so segregated, there was actual integration among every single element of diversity as recent as 7 years ago. Then gentrification started, original chicagoans getting displaced far out south and in most cases out of this state. No sense of community at all. If the vision is to make the majority of the Chicago city limits look exactly like your neighborhood, im glad I am out of there. I also get tired of transplants calling chicago chi-town...so annoying.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
For a person with a Lincoln Park zip code please tell me where you see this in your vicinity. Chicago is the prime example of what segregation is. Not only where people live, but also socioeconomically, and the sad part is that even the workplace tends to be very homogeneous. Mixed in what way, there absolutely no signs of integration, just separation.

Why did you even bring up the homicide statistics....you are basically fueling the stereotype that most black people commit crime. The key thing is inclusion and basically when you make certain parts of the city inacessible towards certain minority groups ala people who live in your neighborhood, segregation forms. It is like this in almost every neighborhood in chicago... and it is sad cause I don't remember chicago being so segregated, there was actual integration among every single element of diversity as recent as 7 years ago. Then gentrification started, original chicagoans getting displaced far out south and in most cases out of this state. No sense of community at all. If the vision is to make the majority of the Chicago city limits look exactly like your neighborhood, im glad I am out of there. I also get tired of transplants calling chicago chi-town...so annoying.
I moved here working for a small non-profit based on the south side of the city and lived my first three years on the west side and then Logan Square. I live in Lakeview because I ditched my car and needed better transportation options - I didn't move here because I'm some airhead frat boy who runs around lincoln park like the rest of the world doesn't exist.

My roommate was an elementery teach for Chicago Public Schools in an extremely rough school on Central and Madison on the west side. I'm just saying this city is very much segregated and the situation is not getting any better. The city exists in two different worlds, some south/west side areas, and then the rest of the city. No one seems to care about the plight of thousands of people because it's "contained".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago