Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

We have covered this a few times.

I really do not feel like repeating the same advice that has been given by several of us on here dozens of times.

Maybe someone else is not tired of repeating himself/herself for the 100th time...

Good Luck.

No offense intended either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
It depends on you and your partner IMO. If you have totally adopted the African American lifestyle (how they do in Memphis - Gold fronts, clothes, speech, etc.) we would probably recommend other places for you than if you were a typical white guy with a typical african american woman. if you are both "typical" then I don't think you'll have problems anywhere near downtown. But you have to tell us more about you. Do you represent memphis like a lot of southern boys do aka 3-6 mafia style/paul wall style? Because if you do, then it will change some things. There is nothing wrong with it but obviously we'll find a better fit for you if you do. Need more info. to give you the best possible answers. I think your only problems may be in certain all black neighborhoods or certain all white suburbs. That's why diversity is best for you IMO. And downtown can offer that as well as many other neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Are schools important?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Perhaps Hyde Park, Oak Park(Suburb), Buena Park (uptown)

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times
I'd recommend North Center.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Try Hyde Park

Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
might be a bit out of that range, but Lake View is tolerant, as is Andersonville (both have substantial gay/lesbian communities, I think that helps set the tone).

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
might be a bit out of that range, but Lake View is tolerant, as is Andersonville (both have substantial gay/lesbian communities, I think that helps set the tone).
Yeah I suspect Lakeview to be accepting of IR couples, since they have a GLBT enclave. Can't get any more tolerant than that

Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypete View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to Chicago on a job transfer in the next 6 months. I was told to look at this forum. After reading posts on this forum for a couple of weeks, there seems to very knowledgable and brutally honest opinions on topics of the segregated neighborhoods, white flight and biases based on ethnicity.

I will be working in the downtown area and I would like to keep the price around $350k - 400kfor a single family detached.

I am a white male and my wife is African American. I'm really tired of the blatent discrimination. I'd love to be in a neighborhood where we can go for a walk to the neighborhood restaurant without getting the evil stare.

Any thoughts?
Don't worry about it and it won't be a problem. People stare at you because you talk funny.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Racism exists, yeah. It obviously isn't holding back motivated and hard working people, you know, like the President. That's what matters. I don't care what people think as long as their actions don't harm someone, people have racist feelings without acting on them you know. In fact a great many people who have racist feelings voted FOR Obama because they realize practical matters are more important than emotion.

Personally I'm more trusting of a racist who puts racism aside for practical reasons than of someone who claims to not be racist.

If you're looking for the perfection of mankind you're in for a long wait, I'm content with practical results. That's the old-school New Deal Liberalism in me.

Regards
Yeah!!!!

Right on!!

You right some great posts IrishTom.

What you wrote is what REALLY matters.

Chicagoland area would be much better off if everyone held to this way of thinking. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago