Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times

Advertisements

[quote=xenourtv;855680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Why did you even bring up the homicide statistics....you are basically fueling the stereotype that most black people commit crime. The key thing is inclusion and basically when you make certain parts of the city inacessible towards certain minority groups ala people who live in your neighborhood, segregation forms. .
How is bringing up statistics fueling a stereotype? Citing statistics is not stereotyping. It's one thing if his numbers are not accurate (I don't know if they are or not) but if they are correct, the issues underlying them have to be discussed, and mitigated somehow, before integration can be successful or even desirable for most people.

I agree 100% with your idea that the key thing is inclusion. But if certain neighborhoods are contributing to homicides at a wildly disproportionate rate, how can you fault people for not wanting to live in those neighborhoods? Are you just going to put them in there and hope for the best? Do you live in one of those neighborhoods? I would guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,908 times
I was born in Chicago; lived here for 27 years. I grew up in Albany Park, which is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the U.S. It has one of highest percentages of foreign-born residents of neighborhoods in Chicago. People in Albany Park tend to keep to themselves; it's a working-class neighborhood. Losts of family-owned ethnic restaurants - Korean, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Thai, etc. A true melting pot.

I've also lived in Ukrainian Village. It's a mix of yuppies, artsy folks, and the original folks of the neighborhood (Ukrainians, Hispanics). Not as diverse as Albany Park, but it's a charming neighborhood. The social scene is more prominent here.

Now I live in Bucktown. It's an uber-gentrified neighborhood that's very different from the diversity I'm used to. It's a very family-friendly, dog-friendly neighborhood with nearby restaurants and bars. Although my neighborhood is very beautiful, I have met some unfriendly, snobby people. I hope it's not racism, but I cannot speak for those people. I'm an Asian woman, and I think I've seen one other Asian person in my neighborhood. There are a couple hispanic families, but it's a predominantly Caucasian neighborhood. Some people I've met were pretty condescending towards me. I try to not let it bother me, but it does...
I've noticed how different people are when my Caucasian boyfriend is with me - friendlier and they always talk directly to "him". Oh, well... just ranting now. Racism/sexism is everywhere; just try to find a diverse neighborhood to live in.

Good luck house hunting! If I were you, I'd try Lincoln Square or Andersonville.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Default Being Mixed Race in Chicago

Hi,

I'm also of mixed race and have lived in both NYC and Chicago. While I disagree with a previous poster that NYC and Chicago are much alike, I think that the race politics you've faced in NYC, the authenticity testing, will be no different than that you'll face in Chicago. And, I think you'll get less authenticity testing on the northside of town or in Hyde Park, as another poster said, because these neighborhoods are more racially diverse overall (well, Uptown and Edgewater on the northside). I've come to pay little mind to people's insecurities about how much of this and that I am. That's about them, not me (you). Best wishes with your move and transition!!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
I'm from NYC born and raised and I must say that not all NY'ers possess this holier-than-thou attitude about NYC. It really gives us New Yawkers a bad name.

I've checked out Chicago and I'm very impressed with their neighborhoods and amenities. I come from a gentrified, formerly all black neighborhood in NYC (which has been mentioned here several times for comparison) and I doubt highly that the OP spent much time in my neighborhood prior to gentrification.

My question is this, why ask about neighborhoods and their mixed social/racial atmosphere if your preference is so clearly to be in favor of that which is more 'homogenous.'

Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
My question is this, why ask about neighborhoods and their mixed social/racial atmosphere if your preference is so clearly to be in favor of that which is more 'homogenous.'
That's exactly the issue I have with identifying the worst or most dangerous areas of the city. The questioners are not going to move there or probably even visit the areas so why ask? Just to get a stack of war stories by proxy? Its a form of cyber-slumming.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:56 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
I'm not sure why this myth persists that Chicago is more segregated than New York City. A Census Bureau study comparing five different methodologies for measuring segregation found that African-American/Black residents are less segregated in the Chicago PMSA than the New York PMSA under three of five indices:
Housing Patterns - Table 5-4

As for the OP's question, I might note that a certain very well known Chicago politician is also a biracial former New Yorker.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I'm not sure why this myth persists that Chicago is more segregated than New York City. A Census Bureau study comparing five different methodologies for measuring segregation found that African-American/Black residents are less segregated in the Chicago PMSA than the New York PMSA under three of five indices:
Probably because people are talking about the cities proper, not the PMSAs.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM

194 posts, read 303,878 times
Quote:

As for the OP's question, I might note that a certain very well known Chicago politician is also a biracial former New Yorker.
And Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, and Staten Island are *sooooooo* diverse, why, there's no segregation in New York at all! Those areas are so progressive and welcoming to black New Yorkers, Chicago is like another world!

There's *SO* many white people in Brownsville, East New York, East Flatbush, Bedford-Stuyvesant, The 90s, Morrissania, Fordham, East Tremont...even residential neighborhoods like Cambria Heights, Laurelton, South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens, Hollis, and St. Albans...Chicago could learn a thing or two from those well-integrated neighborhoods...

Yep, Rogers Park, Uptown, Edgewater, Evanston, Andersonville, Old Town, and Oak Park could learn alot from Howard Beach and East New York.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 PM

41 posts, read 98,904 times
Quote:

How much does that certain politician exemplify Chicago would be my question (and hope)? I think in the days of Michael Jordan, another Chitown star, people in general in the world seemed to be a bit more color blind. I think that certain Chicago politician who happens to be running for president is bringing back that same vibe. I wonder whether Chicago on a whole is a kind of semi-conductor of that sort of thing. If so, that's fantastic for the OP. Thoughts out there? That certain politician won about 80% in Chitown in the Illinois primary - is that a positive reflection on race relations in Chicago? I would think it says at least something very positive -

Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Default How Accepting is Chicago

HI I currently live in Houston and out of curiosity i wanted to put this question out there.

How often do people see inter-racial friends hanging out and partying together?

Over in Houston; although it is diverse there is a type of demographic that people stick with. Literally, all you see around is Asian People with other Asian People, Indean People with Indean people, White folks with other White Folks and so on.

To me this doesn't count as diversity.

And in case I ever move to Chicago(which i really want to) is there a same type of atmosphere as there is in HoustoN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago