Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:50 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

We are coming up in August, kinda a scouting mission before we move there. What should we see? I do not know much about the area, so I am wondering what we should do while we are there to give us a good feeling of the city.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
If you come to Chicago, I'd appreciate it if you saw an empty wallet. Spend money!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 AM

114 posts, read 362,944 times
The Planet Aquarium/Oceanarium

Field Musuem of Science and Industry

Lincoln Park Zoo

Brookfield Zoo

Magnificent Mile

Millenium Park

Navy Pier

various beachfronts on Lake Michigan

Many good restaurants;too many to name

beautiful skyline at night on Lake Shore Dr.

Hope this helps some

Oh,and Hyde Park-President's Home and other attractions

Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 AM

118 posts, read 459,197 times
the garfiled park conservatory and humbolt park

Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Lower Wacker Drive.

Chinatown - I believe it is still there

Buckingham Fountain

Take a taxi and let the driver show you the town and tell you the history.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 37,159 times
The Lincoln Park Zoo is pretty cool; it's also free to get in.
Also at Lincoln Park, you can rent paddleboats and go out on the water.

The Shedd Aquarium is neat; it's just a bit expensive to get in.
Same thing for the boat Architectural Tour along the Chicago River; it's something I want to do again, but I believe it's $26 for adults, so a little pricey, depending on how many people you're going with.

Absolutely go to Navy Pier. (Since you're going in August, you might even be there at the same time they are doing the air show--I was there at that time last year and kept hearing fighter jets scream overhead.) Aside from that, you can ride the Ferris Wheel (the views are great!), the carousel, you can rent bikes or other modes of transportation that involve pedaling (I wish I knew what those things were called--they're like golf carts that you work together to pedal along).

Chicago also has a great theater scene. I've been to many shows all over the place there; I saw "Wicked" at the Oriental Theatre last summer (which was absolutely fantastic but has since ended its run), have seen a couple Second City renditions at the Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier, and have seen others just here and there around town over the years. (I bet if you googled "Chicago Theater" or something, you could get a good list of what is currently running.)

I don't know how old your kids are, but I have been to the Children's Museum there more times than I can count (I'm the oldest, so on family vacations I outgrew it before everyone else did and was ready to stop going!) It was always a good time.

Go to Millennium Park--kids will love the Crown Fountain and everyone loves seeing Cloud Gate (aka the Bean). It's also a good picnic spot; there's also an ice cream place there as well as an outdoor seating restaurant.

Any questions or comments on any of these, let me know! Have a good time in Chi-town!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
If you are coming here with an eye towards possibly moving here, don't spend too much time just doing touristy stuff, you really could spend a couple of weeks just doing that depending on what you're interested in. I would second going to Millenium Park and taking one of the architectural boat tours on the river. I think Navy Pier is a skip. I would have skipped Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco if I hadn't been overruled, so you know where I'm coming from. We talk a lot more about the Farmer's Market we went to than anything we did at the Wharf.

You need to look at the neighborhoods where you'd potentially be living. I like Andersonville and Lincoln Square for wandering around and doing a little shopping. If you tell us how old you are and what you like to do, people can give you more specific suggestions rather than just the stuff you'll find in guide books.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Wow! Chicago sounds like alot of fun. We are not bringing the kids this time, kind of a mommy daddy time!! We are both in our late thirties and we LOVE big cities. As far as neighborhoods to live in, we like older homes, lots of trees and of course good schools. We like being outside, we also like museums and my husband loves architecture ( especially older buildings). Love to see china town, do you also have a little Italy type part of town? ( My oldest is interested in the mob history, so he wants me to find "historical areas" to take photos of!! Do not know if they even still have the mob there, but I told him if there is anything historical I would try to find it. What is the miracle mile? Thanks again guys.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Wow! Chicago sounds like alot of fun. We are not bringing the kids this time, kind of a mommy daddy time!! We are both in our late thirties and we LOVE big cities. As far as neighborhoods to live in, we like older homes, lots of trees and of course good schools. We like being outside, we also like museums and my husband loves architecture ( especially older buildings). Love to see china town, do you also have a little Italy type part of town? ( My oldest is interested in the mob history, so he wants me to find "historical areas" to take photos of!! Do not know if they even still have the mob there, but I told him if there is anything historical I would try to find it. What is the miracle mile? Thanks again guys.
Have a great time Nea1!. Chitown is a great restaurant city too. Great Italian, Polish, German, and Greek food there.:-)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Have a great time Nea1!. Chitown is a great restaurant city too. Great Italian, Polish, German, and Greek food there.:-)
We are very excited. Need to diet to enjoy more food!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago