Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times

Advertisements

I'm rethinking this living by the lake thing, this is still too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm rethinking this living by the lake thing, this is still too cold.
According to weatherbug sensors out here right now in New Lenox it's 74.... I see 53 at the Cubby Bear and thats a mile inland or so. Sure glad I'm not near that F-ing lake. LOL! Just thought I'd rub that in. Just came in from my break of sitting outside at our picnic tables getting some sun... Ahhh tis a beautiful day out here in the burbs.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
A lot of people, in the city, don't believe me when I say those southern burbs are often 10-20 degrees warmer than the city. It's quite amazing really. And they live by their own accord (as far as record highs and lows go). I remember 3 years ago, it was 101 degrees in the southern burbs (in late May/early June) but the city of Chicago only registered 93 or so.

I have weatherbug at home, my work computer will not allow me to download it. I think it is great, however some people have mentioned that it is chalk full of spam and spyware.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
According to weatherbug sensors out here right now in New Lenox it's 74.... I see 53 at the Cubby Bear and thats a mile inland or so. Sure glad I'm not near that F-ing lake. LOL! Just thought I'd rub that in. Just came in from my break of sitting outside at our picnic tables getting some sun... Ahhh tis a beautiful day out here in the burbs.
I remember the days of living inland(western Milw.) and it would be 82 and no wind and sunny then I would hop in my car drive 20min east and as soon as I was a mile from the lake I could feel a blast of cold air rush into my car and all of a sudden it was 65 degrees and windy. I would have to turn around on some days but most of the time you just dealt with it. I always have to explain to people that when you live in Milwaukee/Chicago you have two weather reports: inland or "cooler by the lake" or city and suburban temps.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
I remember the days of living inland(western Milw.) and it would be 82 and no wind and sunny then I would hop in my car drive 20min east and as soon as I was a mile from the lake I could feel a blast of cold air rush into my car and all of a sudden it was 65 degrees and windy. I would have to turn around on some days but most of the time you just dealt with it. I always have to explain to people that when you live in Milwaukee/Chicago you have two weather reports: inland or "cooler by the lake" or city and suburban temps.
A breeze from the lake is actually kind of nice. It makes a summer day more bearable.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
A breeze from the lake is actually kind of nice. It makes a summer day more bearable.
Too bad Lake Wind Season ends this month, then on average winds swing around to the SW and the lake is of no use to us what-so-ever for cooling. Michigan gets to take advantage of that, so we get screwed once again.

Research it yourself.

Chicago's average wind/storm patterns:

Nov-Feb : NW-W winds unless lows swing up into central IN which causes winds to come out of the NE while the low is in the area usually giving northern and western burbs heavy snow, while coastal and south side areas get mixed precip or rain. Slight temp variations most noteable at night where lows stay slightly warmer (1-7 degrees) in the city thanks to urban heating and the lake.

Mar-Mid June : Calm winds causing uniform temps area wide until heating of the day takes over, then NE, E, or NNE winds creating wide temperature variations (5-25 degrees) from Northside to South and inland (30 + miles)to coastal (>5 miles). Wide temp variations tend to cause clear skies coastal and puffy Cumulus inland. Wind shifts create severe storm development thanks to continual fronts developing and moving through.

Mid June-Sept 15 : Strong W, S, SSW, or SSE winds ushering up humid air out of the Gulf causes afternoon thunderstorm development. Uniform temps for all and in many cases MUCH hotter (10 + degrees above outlying farmland)in the city due to urban heat islands.

Sept 16-Nov 1 : Strong W or NW winds causing drier conditions unless lows move into the area. Uniform temps for all. Cloudy near the lake thanks to now warmer water feeding cloud development causing many low hanging Nimbus Clouds and occasional drizzly weather.

And that's it folks. Thats Chicago's weather in a nutshell.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
I love this weather! Beats what I was used to growing up in Alabama.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I love this weather! Beats what I was used to growing up in Alabama.

I don't know, gulf shores was nice 3 weeks ago when I was there

but I'll never eat at a waffle house again

:t hink:

Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
I don't know, gulf shores was nice 3 weeks ago when I was there

but I'll never eat at a waffle house again

:t hink:
Yeah, try July and August in Alabama.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
Even though it is about 8 degrees cooler than the daily average, that is still a June sun out there so today has been gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago