Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
A little freaked out - I am planning a birthday party next weekend with 16 kids and parents based on a barbecue and a playground. If the weather sucks I'll have to cram them all in my little apartment.
Yes, but the apartment is in Evanston so it must be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
It is typically cool, but not this bad. Typically you can expect mid 60s along the shore to 4 miles inland until about now to maybe 6/15, and mid 70s in the 5-30 mile inland range (including O'Hare where the records are taken from) and upper 70s-low 80s beyond especially the further south you go (Plainfield, Joliet, New Lenox, Aurora). What we have going on here is that the winter was so cold that the lake water made it right down to freezing basically in January and February and its going to take a long long long time now for that water to warm back up, so until it does (above 60 degree water) you can expect cold weather any time the winds come out of an easterly direction. Here is what we're battling... Note the majority of the water is still in the upper 40s, blow wind over it and what do you get? Cold air. Michigan Sea Grant Coastwatch This is also a good map I use alot that clearly can show the power of the lake on days where winds are blowing out of the east ( You won't see the effect too much anymore until next March, but there is still some). The map is on the bottom of the page, note the temps over the metro area may range up to 10 degrees from Gurnee to Lansing, IL, but go further inland and it goes up further. Weather Center - WGN
Excellent, Excellent post. The other side to that coin is that the warm lake will keep the land near the lake much warmer later in the year than the outlying suburbs.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 06-03-2009 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Why the hell is everyone hating on this weather?
I hate when these stupid weathermen on TV are like "And today another ugly gloomy cloudy day"

I love those days. I'd have cloudy cool days over a sunny day that burns your freaking face. Especially when there's humidity
aghghghghh

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadams View Post
Heya Chicago!

Well, I just moved to the Lakeview area yesterday. I'm from Tampa Florida.

Now, I knew that Chicago was a cold place. I have even been here in January to witness it.

I truly wasn't expecting below 50 degrees in June though. Is this common? Am I going to have to deal with this weather all Summer? I was really looking forward to living here, but if this is the norm, I might have to rethink signing a 6 month lease. (I am monthly now)
Be thankful it's cool outside. I am living in metro Atlanta and it is miserably hot and humid, and it isn't even 12PM yet.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I hate when these stupid weathermen on TV are like "And today another ugly gloomy cloudy day"

I love those days. I'd have cloudy cool days over a sunny day that burns your freaking face. Especially when there's humidity
aghghghghh
See, I'm a pasty white boy so I like some sun on my skin. Besides, people are in a better mood when the weather is nice.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Yes, but the apartment is in Evanston so it must be nice.

Excellent, Excellent post. The other side to that coin is that the warm lake will keep the land near the lake much warmer later in the year than the outlying suburbs.
False! lake wind season runs from March - June, not Nov - March. Twisters rake U.S.; city shivers in lake breeze - WGN Weather Center Blog Lake winds are know to cool areas up to 40 miles inland some 20 degrees below areas past 40 miles from the shore, while on the flip side, winter months, areas up to 2 miles away from the lake may stay up to 7 degrees warmer than outlying areas at night and at night ONLY. Daytime lighting heats land masses faster than water masses therefore wintertime "warming" is nearly irrelevant to even mention as it only is affected at night when lows are some 7 degrees warmer than inland burbs.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
False! lake wind season runs from March - June, not Nov - March. Twisters rake U.S.; city shivers in lake breeze - WGN Weather Center Blog Lake winds are know to cool areas up to 40 miles inland some 20 degrees below areas past 40 miles from the shore, while on the flip side, winter months, areas up to 2 miles away from the lake may stay up to 7 degrees warmer than outlying areas at night and at night ONLY. Daytime lighting heats land masses faster than water masses therefore wintertime "warming" is nearly irrelevant to even mention as it only is affected at night when lows are some 7 degrees warmer than inland burbs.
Is your name Tom Skilling?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Is your name Tom Skilling?
Should be. I've talked with him and met him and studied alot of his stuff in college. He is a hell of a nice guy, but very short actually. LOL! Sorry Tom.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM

156 posts, read 331,007 times
Quote:

aghghghghh
I actually agree with you. I hate hot summer days that make you feel lethargic and uncomfortable. Days like today are refreshing...I'd prefer it to stay like this for the entire month. But I like colder weather over warmer weather. Even when it was bitterly cold in February I thought to myself, "I'll still take this over 95 in July."

Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default I agree..

Quote:

aghghghghh
...as I have very low tolerance for hot, humid, shirt-soaking weather. There are few worse things than walking home from the subway on a blistering day, only to find out that the power has gone out in your neighborhood, and the utility companies have no idea when it will be restored. It makes for a very long, unpleasant night, usually without much sleep.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Florida native to Chicago generally doesn't work out due to the weather.
Oh ye of little faith. I have collected quite an enclave of native Floridian friends up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago