Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So it's not publicly funded? If so, I don't see any reason Chicago residents should get in for free. These things cost money to run.

Honestly? There's a lot of free stuff in St. Louis -- essentially everything in Forest Park -- and that's fabulous for tourists, but the county and city residents carry a heavy burden because of this.

You can't have it both ways guys -- either you pay for it in taxes or you pay for admission. You can't have world-class attractions without money.
I don't think the issue is one or the other. We are paying for both. The majority of their funding does not come federally but through state taxes and probably also local property taxes. So we are being taxed for their maintenance as well as paying $20 for admission. DP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM

156 posts, read 331,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So it's not publicly funded? If so, I don't see any reason Chicago residents should get in for free. These things cost money to run.

Honestly? There's a lot of free stuff in St. Louis -- essentially everything in Forest Park -- and that's fabulous for tourists, but the county and city residents carry a heavy burden because of this.

You can't have it both ways guys -- either you pay for it in taxes or you pay for admission. You can't have world-class attractions without money.
Exactly. And, as was already mentioned, an $80/year pass really isn't all that much, if you plan on visiting a minimum of several times. I have one, and I think it's a pretty good deal. What an organization previously charged is irrelevant to me...times change, and nonprofit organizations have to find ways to shore up finances, just as individuals do.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
But there is still a price point argument to be made.

If you raise the fees too high, you will lose more revenue via less overall visitors. I would think for locals this would be especially true. Where I would have happily brought my entire family in for $5-$8 a head, I will really have to wonder how long my 8 and 11 year olds will last in the galleries, and if it is worth $60+ bucks for the family to go. Potential future patrons are now financially disincented from visiting and seeing all that the Art Institute offers. I don't know...maybe all the locals are already savy and know to go on Tuesdays or Thursday nights or whatever, so the reveune is insignificant compared to tourists.

But even tourists have a finite amount of cash, and so maybe they only see two museums instead of four now, and maybe they only stay two nights at a hotel instead of three. That's not good.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM

204 posts, read 761,517 times
Ok they want to charge 18 dollars a person then then whatever taxes illinois residents are paying should be cut off. If one of the best art museums in the country cant fund itself for some odd reason and has to raise its entrance fee then they should not be connected to the federal or state government at all, period. It seems funny how all of chicago cant fund themselves. They depend on taxing its citizens to exhaustion. sorry thats not the way to do it. For years the art museum was able to get by without an entrance fee. Now they have a 12 dollar entrance fee and that is not enough. They want to raise it 50%. Seems kind of weird doesnt it. Cant blame it on the economy can you. I pay a LOT of taxes to enjoy what chicago has to offer-parks, downtown,museums, beaches and zoos. I should not have to pay to get into any of these period. I can bet in the future they will start charging to use the beach and the beaches that are free to park at now will soon not be.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Things that used to be for the enjoyment of the city's residents are now being made into tourist attractions thus making them less available to the people of the city.

Look at the Shedd Aquarium. Used to be a place where a family could get out of the house on weekends but today many a Chicago family would be hard pressed to come up with the dough for a weekend visit. Oh sure, they have free Mondays but what working family is gonna be able to use that---what, take off work to go? And they have a free week, big deal, what, we gotta plan a trip to the goddam aquarium like a vacation or something? That's a bunch of bull****.

Just who are these institutions supposed to benefit? Not the residents of Chicago it seems.
You talk about families: children under 12 are free. Most other museums in Chicago charge for children.

Again, its a price hike no doubt, but the people making this sound like they will never be able to bring their kids b/c of the cost...come one. Its always been free for under 12 and will remain that way

Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
I should not have to pay to get into any of these period.
You don't see a connection between the anti-government leaders of the last 8 years (and for most of the last 40) and suddenly having to pay for everything? Let's see, did corporations clean up their acts after Enron? Do they like helping us get health care? Do they like handing out things for free? No, Americans voted against government and for corporate greed for years, and yet somehow they think everything should be free. By the way, the Art Institute was free for all of February, as a thank you to citizens of Chicago.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
You talk about families: children under 12 are free. Most other museums in Chicago charge for children.

Again, its a price hike no doubt, but the people making this sound like they will never be able to bring their kids b/c of the cost...come one. Its always been free for under 12 and will remain that way
I did not realize this. THanks for pointing it out.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Art musuem is the boringest of them all anyway.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Art musuem is the boringest of them all anyway.
There is no way it is more boringest then a quality public education.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

At the aquarium (which was my example, sorry that I wasn't clear on that) kids pay from 12 to 18 bucks.

That the Art Institute is free for kids is swell. Funny this thread coming up because just last night my wife and I were talking about buying the membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago