Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 PM

157 posts, read 364,349 times

Advertisements

It happened in my hometown of Houston when they renamed Enron Field to Minute Maid Park. It has never sounded right. Now in Chicago, I continue to call Comiskey park, comiskey park. Despite the fact that it is the Cellular Field. What if they renamed Wrigley Field???? Would you be upset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,712,383 times
The new Comiskey Park was renamed "U.S. Cellular Field" a few years after it was built. The new building that replaced the Chicago Stadium was called the United Center from the beginning.

We have already covered the Wrigley Field renaming topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-renamed.html

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 PM

157 posts, read 364,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The new Comiskey Park was renamed "U.S. Cellular Field" a few years after it was built. The new building that replaced the Chicago Stadium was called the United Center from the beginning.

We have already covered the Wrigley Field renaming topic.
Right. Sorry about that. US Cellular is what I meant. Sorry I brought up Wrigley, but the topic is not specific to Wrigley field. I was wondering what people thought of renaming historical arenas.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,733,935 times
Not to mention Dyke Stadium being renamed after Pat Ryan. Just doesn't sound right.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,712,383 times

Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 AM

179 posts, read 481,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
It happened in my hometown of Houston when they renamed Enron Field to Minute Maid Park.
Pretty good example how pointless this kinda discussion is. I can somewhat understand the moaning when a century old name like Wrigley is changed but to cling to a 2 year old name provided by criminals is really beyond me.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 AM

425 posts, read 1,440,239 times
I agree that it's annoying, and it's just another sign of decreased loyalties in sports. These days, I don't even want to buy a jersey anymore because who knows where that player will end up in 2 years. Players a playing for 5, 6, or more teams in their careers, often going straight from one team to that team's main rival.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,111,359 times
I don't particularly care all that much about renaming sports fields, but I do find it funny how people resist calling that place where the Sox play US Cellular field (and I admit to being one of them). Just the other day I came across directions my mom had written down, and she doesn't care all that much about baseball, but the directions referenced going past "Sox Park" and not US Cellular Field or even Comiskey Park, so I suspect that deep down, she didn't like the new name. I suspect if Wrigley was ever changed people would continue to call it Wrigley, or 'Cubs Park'.

Last edited by j33; 03-10-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,816,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I don't particularly care all that much about renaming sports fields, but I do find it funny how people resist calling that place where the Sox play US Cellular field (and I admit to being one of them). Just the other day I came across directions my mom had written down, and she doesn't care all that much about baseball, but the directions referenced going past "Sox Park" and not US Cellular Field or even Comiskey Park, so I suspect that deep down, she was didn't like the new name. I suspect if Wrigley was ever changed people would continue to call it Wrigley, or 'Cubs Park'.

Yeah, all the Sox fans I know call the ballpark either Sox Park or Comiskey. Media twits use the invented term "the Cell" in order to sound hep and "with it" but I don't know any normal people who use the term.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
They didn't come up with "The Cell" to sound hep, they came up with it because it's cumbersome to spew out "U.S. Cellular Field" each time.

Personally, I prefer "The Joan."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago