Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So do you think this area will be okay for me for the month of July?

I will have my car, but will probably leave it parked most of the time except for occasional trips to the burbs (and maybe even then we will take the train). Worst case, on a game day, I could walk to and from work - couldn't I???

I assume it would be safe to do so in that area - do you agree?
I think is is safe enough for the most part to walk for sure. It is a hell of a long walk though! Still though you will make it faster taking the bus than walking. If anything during night games you might have to get off at Southport or Ashland and walk from there.
If you are only going to be around a couple months you should be fine.

DM me if you need more specific help. I live in Lakeview about a half mile away or so from the intersection you are thinking about moving to and know Chicago quite well. I am one of the few on this site that was born here and grew up here.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-22-2009 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
...You can walk down to the Border's at Broadway and Diversey in about 15 minutes time...
The Border's (it is actually Barnes and Noble) on Diversey near Diversey/Clark/Broadway has been shut down. It will not reopen.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM

179 posts, read 480,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Border's (it is actually Barnes and Noble) on Diversey near Diversey/Clark/Broadway has been shut down. It will not reopen.
Yeah the B&N is gone, but the Borders directly on Broadway and Diversey is still up and running.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Yeah the B&N is gone, but the Borders directly on Broadway and Diversey is still up and running.
I forgot about that one. Good catch.

I go to the one in Uptown more often as it is way closer to me than the one that you mentioned that is almost in Lincoln Park.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think is is safe enough for the most part to walk for sure. It is a hell of a long walk though! Still though you will make it faster taking the bus than walking. If anything during night games you might have to get off at Southport or Ashland and walk from there.
If you are only going to be around a couple months you should be fine.

DM me if you need more specific help. I live in Lakeview about a half mile away or so from the intersection you are thinking about moving to and know Chicago quite well. I am one of the few on this site that was born here and grew up here.
I will only be there for the month of July.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
But its always better by september
heh heh heh

21 days till pitchers and catchers report W00t!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM

Okay, so this really threw me for a loop this morning:

I confirmed my stay at the condo and sent a deposit.

The landlord had expressed concern about the fact that I have kids - was worried about the placed being damaged. I thought, whatever, I'm not worried, and isn't that a security deposit is for? So I let that slide.

Via e-mail, I casually inquired about additional parking for guests who might visit while I'm there. The response was: You are not allowed to have visitors on the premises.

Is this common? I was amazed. I e-mailed back that this was not acceptable to me, as part of the reason I would be in Chicago for that length of time was to spend it with friends and family. She agreed to refund my deposit - no hard feelings - but I thought this was crazy!

Any thoughts?

I found a place in the Mayfair Park area instead. Not the area I wanted, but the place and neighborhood seem nice enough - it will do. Any thoughts on this? (Incidentally, I spoke to the owner on the phone and told him I might occasionally have dinner guests and was that okay - and he thought I was nuts! "Of course it's okay!" )

Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Okay, so this really threw me for a loop this morning:

I confirmed my stay at the condo and sent a deposit.

The landlord had expressed concern about the fact that I have kids - was worried about the placed being damaged...
No, it is not common nor is it legal. I would file a complaint with the appropriate government agency. Perhaps some of the people involved with law here can give you more info...

Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
My thoughts are this:

First, they can be "concerned" all they want about kids but it is illegal to discriminate based on having kids unless it's a dedicated senior center. That said they can prevent you from stuffing 9 kids into a one-bedroom apartment.

Second, once you pay your rent, the place is yours to enjoy within reason. They have no legal grounds to tell you that you can't have visitors. I'd have said "OK, whatever," taken the apartment anyway, had guests whenever I felt like it, and dared them to do something about it.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My thoughts are this:

First, they can be "concerned" all they want about kids but it is illegal to discriminate based on having kids unless it's a dedicated senior center. That said they can prevent you from stuffing 9 kids into a one-bedroom apartment.

Second, once you pay your rent, the place is yours to enjoy within reason. They have no legal grounds to tell you that you can't have visitors. I'd have said "OK, whatever," taken the apartment anyway, had guests whenever I felt like it, and dared them to do something about it.
Yeah, I thought about that. But I just want to enjoy myself and not have any hassles. I also don't want to say anything until my deposit is returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago