Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 AM

9 posts, read 28,586 times

Advertisements

There definately is a Chicago accent to the people who think there isn't. I live in central Illinois, but I go to Chicago ALL the time to visit family and friends. Some of the people I know from the Chicago have more of an accent than others, but they all have one at least. It seems their O's are pronounced like A's I know someone who would always complain about his "mam"(mom) and his girlfriend "mally"(molly) haha. They have a somewhat nasal accent. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter what part of the metro you come from because I know people from the city, Buffalo Grove, Palos Hills, Joliet, Elgin, and Orland Park that all have the same thick accent. Oh well, its not a bad thing, I don't find it annoying at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I don't think we have much of a southern accent, maybe the oldschool blacks have it. Idk some of us probably do, but its nowhere near in comparison with Mississippi and other deep south states. Anyway, what is consider a Chicago accent? I'm asking because African Americans make up the largest percentage and at least 60% of the entire Southside is AA. Northside neigborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park seem to talk the most neutral/nasal and on average faster talkers than a Southsider. Maybe because its more white collar compare to blue collar hoods on the south and westside.

THANK YOU! LOL

this is how many chicagoans sound

YouTube - Jerome Harris Interview

Below is an example of a southern accent...or you can youtube "lil' bootsie" (the i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t guy)

YouTube - wedding song

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1989 View Post
There definately is a Chicago accent to the people who think there isn't. I live in central Illinois, but I go to Chicago ALL the time to visit family and friends. Some of the people I know from the Chicago have more of an accent than others, but they all have one at least. It seems their O's are pronounced like A's I know someone who would always complain about his "mam"(mom) and his girlfriend "mally"(molly) haha. They have a somewhat nasal accent. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter what part of the metro you come from because I know people from the city, Buffalo Grove, Palos Hills, Joliet, Elgin, and Orland Park that all have the same thick accent. Oh well, its not a bad thing, I don't find it annoying at least.
This isn't just a Chicago thing, it's all over the northern half of the U.S., including Michigan. See, I would say that you (and others from central IL, IN, and OH; as well as the West Coast) pronounce your A's like O's, so "practice" becomes "proctice," and "accent" is "occent"; your O's become "AU's," so "Mom" sounds like "Maum," and "Molly" sounds like "Mauly." I'd say you're the one with the thick accent.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
This isn't just a Chicago thing, it's all over the northern half of the U.S., including Michigan. See, I would say that you (and others from central IL, IN, and OH; as well as the West Coast) pronounce your A's like O's, so "practice" becomes "proctice," and "accent" is "occent"; your O's become "AU's," so "Mom" sounds like "Maum," and "Molly" sounds like "Mauly." I'd say you're the one with the thick accent.
I have to agree here.

I say Mom like M-aaah-m and Molly like M-aaah-ly.

I was born in and grew up in Chicago.

I do have to say though that many people from Michigan (past 50 miles from Indiana or Ohio) I have met have a bunch of Canadian mixed in their accent as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The only thing that I noticed about Chicago speak is the way you say sausage as "sahsage" instead of "sawsage." Other than that, no discernable accent.
Again, that's the Drew Peterson old school South Side working class accent. Most Chicagoans don't actually speak like that. But if you go to, say, Midlothian, you'll hear a LOT of it. And "Canaryville" is basically a language to itself in addition to being a neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Again, that's the Drew Peterson old school South Side working class accent. Most Chicagoans don't actually speak like that...
Most Chicagoans and many burb people that grew up in the area speak like that to a point,some more than others,"working class" or not.

I usually can pick a transplant out or a person that grew up in the Chicago area within 10 seconds of talking to them.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Most Chicagoans and many burb people that grew up in the area speak like that to a point,some more than others,"working class" or not.

I usually can pick a transplant out or a person that grew up in the Chicago area within 10 seconds of talking to them.
But the people I know that grew up in suburbs like Naperville, Schaumburg, Mt. Prospect, Park Ridge, Oak Park, Palatine, etc. don't have that accent at all--even if their parents were from the city originally. Other friends of mine from places like Midlothian, River Grove, Justice, Addison, and even Tinley have VERY strong accents. It's hard to tell what causes this, since I've met siblings with different accents before (and in fact have a very different accent from my own younger sister). Obviously it has something to do with communities that just fester without any outside influence verses communities that are more open and transient. But the accent difference within families is strange to me. For instance, I even went to the same college as my younger sister, so post-homelife exposure to a new city wasn't the issue.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But the people I know that grew up in suburbs like Naperville, Schaumburg, Mt. Prospect, Park Ridge, Oak Park, Palatine, etc. don't have that accent at all--even if their parents were from the city originally. Other friends of mine from places like Midlothian, River Grove, Justice, Addison, and even Tinley have VERY strong accents. It's hard to tell what causes this, since I've met siblings with different accents before (and in fact have a very different accent from my own younger sister).
This is true as well. Part of it depends on the education system one is in as well as the town environment.

I am not saying all that grew up in the area have some of the accent, but most have at least a small amount.

I know many people whose parents have a very noticeable accent (and the parents are white collar even) but they themselves have very little.

I must add though I can tell the difference between someone that grew up in the burbs and someone that grew up in the city 99 times out of 100.

I have a great ear. I am a musician after all.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
You want a Chicago accent, talk to someone at the maxwell street hot dog place off 95 by UIC. or talk to a city worker, like a building inspector, theyre the true old schoolers. cops and firefighters too.

I read something interesting once saying that a persons accent says if the person is low class or high class, or (obviously) an immigrant and from what part of the world immigrated from. But the low class thing struck me hard. remember though, you can be high income and low class, like a baseball player or a rockstar who grew up in poverty.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
I read something interesting once saying that a persons accent says if the person is low class or high class, or (obviously) an immigrant and from what part of the world immigrated from. But the low class thing struck me hard. remember though, you can be high income and low class, like a baseball player or a rockstar who grew up in poverty.

No doubt speech is an indication of social class (though not of character). Working and upper class people generally have the most natural and unaffected speech while the often socially anxious middle class seeks to blend in and talk the way they imagine the upper class does, often with ironic and hilarious results.

Thus the boilermaker says "let's stop for a drink". The middle class guy says "let's stop for cocktails" and the old money guy says "let's stop for a drink". Paul Fussel is good on this subject.

By the way, the term "saasage" is often used when speaking of Italian and Polish sausage by a person who says "sawsage" when referring to breakfast sausage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago