Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,360,781 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people in Chicago have thick Chicago accents like cops and others dont? Is it because a lot of people mover there from other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
I imagine that would be the case. If I moved to London, I wouldn't suddenly start talking in a British accent, I'd keep my own.

As far as the accent is concerned, I because I grew up here, I don't hear it all that much, although when come across a real 'youse guys' sort of guy and then it is more noticeable (especially down on the south-side or the south burbs, although I work with a handful of those sorts every day, so I guess I don't even notice that all that much either), but I wouldn't mind hearing from transplants, how noticeable is the damn thing? Or are you like me where you only hear it when it is very pronounced, or whenever the Mayor opens his mouth to mangle another sentence.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,433 times
I am originally from Chicago and still have my Chicago accent. Of course, I don't notice it but others do. However, when I get back to Chicago after having been away for a period of time, I certainly notice the Chicago accent which kind of has a 'gangsta' ring to it.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 PM

199 posts, read 618,945 times
Southsiders have the heaviest accent, i.e. dis, dat, dese and dose; though one of my closest friends was born and raised on the far northwest side and speaks that way. When I lived in California, I was told that the Chicago accent sounds flat. I often thought that if you mixed a Brooklyn accent with a Philly accent you'd have a Chicago accent.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:43 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,348,338 times
I think it has to do with parents...my dad grew up in chicago and his accent is really noticable, where my mothers is more southern (she is from southern illinois). I have more of a chicago accent (I didn't know til I was much older and went to other places and they told me so).

I think all of us who are native to this area have it, but it does vary among people. Maybe it is heavier on the southside...but I am not aware of that being the case.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
Southsiders have the heaviest accent, i.e. dis, dat, dese and dose; though one of my closest friends was born and raised on the far northwest side and speaks that way. When I lived in California, I was told that the Chicago accent sounds flat. I often thought that if you mixed a Brooklyn accent with a Philly accent you'd have a Chicago accent.

I don't speak like that..dis,dem,dese,dose. That's horrible to illustrate the Chicago accent that way. it ain't Phat.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
Brooklyn? no way there. I know people with a Brooklyn accent, and I don't mind it, but I don't think that those two accents sound alike at all. I don't know a whole lot about the Philly accent other than when I took that silly 'what American accent do you speak' quiz, it seemed convinced I was from Philly, but I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. But Brooklyn? Hardly.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 26,338 times
my grandpa is grew up on the south side and said dis dat dese and dose

Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM

308 posts, read 758,321 times
I think it's kind of cheesy when they show the "Chicago accent" on television. We don't all talk like the Super Fans. I mean, recently on Saturday Night Live, they were doing a spoof on Blago, and they had him talking like that. A little much!

I have been told that I talk funny. However, this was during a road trip when I stopped in Shamrock, Texas, everybody in there was wearing a cowboy hat, and the lady said to us "Y'all talk kinda funny" in a southern drawl. So I wasn't too concerned.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,326,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Why is it that some people in Chicago have thick Chicago accents like cops and others dont? Is it because a lot of people mover there from other areas?
As a transplant, I've noticed that some native Chicagoans have a very thick Chicago accent, while other natives don't seem to have an accent at all and sound very "standard American". Some seem to pass down the accent intact from generation to generation, whereas for others it seems to have gotten lost at some point generationally. Blame TV, I suppose.

I even know two brothers who grew up here, where one has a very thick Chicago accent and the other doesn't. Their mom grew up on Chicago's South Side, but their dad is from Ohio.

Also, I've noticed the Chicago accent itself varies. The thickest, of course, is the "Sout' Side" version with its "dese, dem, and dose"... but I've also noticed that there's a more "refined" version, if you will, that's still Midwestern nasal and flat, with some overexaggeration of vowel sounds, but not as coarse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago