Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,345 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer with a company in East Chicago, IN and am trying to determine where a good place to live would be. I am a 22 year old single male and I don't know anyone in the area, so I want to live somewhere safe that has a nightlife so I won't be bored on the weekends. I heard from a friend that lived in the area last summer that there isn't much to do in the East Chicago area, so I am wondering how long of a commute I could expect if I lived in Chicago, maybe in Hyde Park. Any other suggestions of places to live that don't have too terrible of a commute would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times
Hyde Park isn't exactly known for its nightlife either. I'd say University Village is the best bet. It borders UIC, so the nightlife areas will feature a younger crowd when UIC is in session, and its right by the Dan Ryan, so the commute shouldn't be too terrible.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,195,084 times
Default East Chicago

There's no nightlife in EChgo, and precious few jobs. It has the distinction of being the only predominantly Hispanic city in the Midwest and the guy who was mayor of the city for 30 years is under indictment. He's not Hispanic.

But, as to your question, most of the people who work in East Chicago commute there from Merrilville or Crown Point in Indiana or the southern suburbs of Chicago. Those areas are settled, bedroom communities. Its very possible to live in youth oriented areas (like the north side of Chicago) and commute to work there (East Chicago borders on Chicago and is only 14 miles from the loop). There remains a number of East Chicago workers who live in Hyde Park, by the way.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:40 AM

About how long of a commute should I expect from University Village to East Chicago during rush hour?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times
I'm not sure, I've never made it. I don't think there's much of a reverse commute though, I'd venture to say half an hour.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Commuting Time

The time to commute from University Village to East Chicago depends. Going to work you may want to take the Skyway ($2 toll) and you can make it in about half an hour. I believe the car toll pass will work on the Skyway. Watch the short line railroads in East Chicago. One once made me late for an appointment and its no use honking a horn. There are roads you can use to detour around them, like Columbus.

On your more leisurely ride home, you can take the scenic route through Whiting, south Chicago and up Lake Shore Drive to Roosevelt Road. Its a straight shot up route 41 (I think that's the number). That may take closer to an hour.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM

How long of a commute would it be from one of the northern youth oriented areas like Lincoln Park to East Chicago during rush hour? Google maps says it's about 40 minutes, but that's assuming no traffic, so I'm guessing it would be at least an hour right?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM

I'd say about 45" in rush hour.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Do you have a generous budget? If you can afford it, downtown or lincoln park would be great. The commute will suck, but it has so many advantages. If you're young and single, you don't want to be here in NWI. There's not much of a dating scene and the pickins' are slim, to say the least. Chicago's full of intelligent attractive women, on the other hand.
You're kind of reverse commuting, so your journey may not take as long. The thing is, Chicago can be a tough place to drive, b/c winter weather slows things down and, when the weather is nice, construction fills that role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: