Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

[quote=chicagocubs;8517840]wow..someone has given this a lot of thought!!

What do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
As a transplant, I've noticed that some native Chicagoans have a very thick Chicago accent, while other natives don't seem to have an accent at all and sound very "standard American". Some seem to pass down the accent intact from generation to generation, whereas for others it seems to have gotten lost at some point generationally. Blame TV, I suppose.

I even know two brothers who grew up here, where one has a very thick Chicago accent and the other doesn't. Their mom grew up on Chicago's South Side, but their dad is from Ohio.

Also, I've noticed the Chicago accent itself varies. The thickest, of course, is the "Sout' Side" version with its "dese, dem, and dose"... but I've also noticed that there's a more "refined" version, if you will, that's still Midwestern nasal and flat, with some overexaggeration of vowel sounds, but not as coarse.
Actually, I used to think TV had an influence on accents, but it doesn't. Studies have shown that television has little to no effect on how accents are handed down from generation to generation. Rather, it's face-to-face interaction that does it. So if Junior spends more time with his friends than with Ma and Pops, he's going to talk more like them.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Actually, I used to think TV had an influence on accents, but it doesn't. Studies have shown that television has little to no effect on how accents are handed down from generation to generation. Rather, it's face-to-face interaction that does it. So if Junior spends more time with his friends than with Ma and Pops, he's going to talk more like them.
My parents and family are all from Milan. Born and raised. And they sound English, with crisp English accents. I don't understand it at all.

I myself have a very standard American accent. I do tend to be very strong on my r's, which especially now that I'm in another nation reveals to me that there is such a thing as a midwestern accent. It's just so very hard to discern.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think people tend to think there's no Midwestern accent because "that's how the people on the TV talk" Of course that doesn't mean you don't have an accent though.

For all you young Midwesterners out there, if you want to be a broadcast journalist or an actor you're in a heck of a lot better position to do so than someone from Atlanta or Boston.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
This is an excellent read (tho I've never seen the videos):

Amazon.com: The Story of English: Third Revised Edition: Robert McCrum, Robert MacNeil, William Cran: Books

Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,775 times
i love the new york accent. i prefer it to chicago. im from london and people always tell me how posh i sound which i thinks weird.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^ With a written phrase "which I thinks weird" you just may speak cockney. ^

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posh londoner View Post
i love the new york accent. i prefer it to chicago. im from london and people always tell me how posh i sound which i thinks weird.
good for you

Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
So right I say cah instead of car.Gabige (garbage) and im AA from the uptown area.I lived in the twin cities MN and I thought I was in canada but I could tell who was from chicago. It's where your from who you hang with for long periods I try to keep my accent, alot of people I know sound southern and it sticks at times.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM

188 posts, read 423,842 times
Chi-caw-go.

That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago