Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:42 PM

62 posts, read 274,941 times

Advertisements

Now that I am in the need for something to replace the gaping hole where my poor radio used to be, what do you guys suggest I do? Since apparently, any halfway decent radio will get stolen, would a stock civic radio be safe? $175/month for parking is too much for me to afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to be mean when I say things (at least much of the time.)I am not trying to be mean here either...

If $175 a month for parking is too much for you to afford perhaps you should have not moved to Lincoln Park or you should not still own a car. I do not think you need to rent parking out because of this. Just get a radio that will not be a target to be stolen.

Two options only: You can either get rid of your car or learn to deal with the risk of parking on a public street.

Do you work in the burbs?

In terms of violent crime, Lincoln Park is lower than most North and Northwest side areas. The areas of crime that are a bit higher than normal are rape,theft, and burglary than in other parts of the North and Northwest sides. In terms of getting killed, shot,beaten, or stabbed it is lower than much of the city.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-26-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM

62 posts, read 274,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to be mean when I say things (at least much of the time.)I am not trying to be mean here either...

If $175 a month for parking is too much for you to afford perhaps you should have not moved to Lincoln Park or you should not still own a car. I do not think you need to rent parking out because of this. Just get a radio that will not be a target to be stolen.

Two options only: You can either get rid of your car or learn to deal with the risk of parking on a public street.

Do you work in the burbs?

In terms of violent crime, Lincoln Park is lower than most North and Northwest side areas. The areas of crime that are a bit higher than normal are rape,theft, and burglary than in other parts of the North and Northwest sides. In terms of getting killed, shot,beaten, or stabbed it is lower than much of the city.
I didn't think you were being mean. I am fine with the risk of parking on a public street since I can't afford to a parking space. I really like my car and I think the benefits of having one greatly outweights the fact that I can't have a good radio. I was just wondering what are some things I can do to make it less of a target in the future. It seems like having any radio at all in your car would make it liable to be stolen.

And it is good to know that my car is a much likely target for a beating than I am.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,971 times
This happened to my neighbor in a nice area of Evanston this weekend. It can happen anywhere.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizilla View Post
I didn't think you were being mean. I am fine with the risk of parking on a public street since I can't afford to a parking space. I really like my car and I think the benefits of having one greatly outweights the fact that I can't have a good radio. I was just wondering what are some things I can do to make it less of a target in the future. It seems like having any radio at all in your car would make it liable to be stolen.

And it is good to know that my car is a much likely target for a beating than I am.
I've never had anyone break into my car in Chicago, though I only parked on the street for a few years. Here are my rules:

1. Get a more theft-proof stereo with a detachable face, and NEVER leave the face in the car.

2. Don't leave ANYTHING in your car, even if it's not valuable. Especially bags of any kind. A gym bag with old clothes in it is an invitation, because a thief will wonder what is in the bag.

3. Obvious one: Always park your car in a well-lit area with a lot of eyes on the street, and make sure the doors are locked.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,821,060 times
I specifically sold my Acura Integra gsr due to it's high theft rates before I moved to Chicago. My '96 late model car w/ 122k miles and a mighty tape deck have never been touched other than the jerks who crash into it while parking. I have to deal with parking 3-5 blocks from my place for days at a time. I keep no incentives inside to attract a thief, other than the car itself.

Any aftermarket radio will make you a target. If they see a stereo without it's faceplate... most of the time it's stored in the glovebox. Same goes for portable navigation units. If you leave the suction cup brackets on your winshield you are inviting thieves to break into your car. If you really want to go low profile, find a stock oem cd player that was made for your car instead of an aftermarket replacement. I of all appreciate sound quality but street parking and flashy equipment do not go hand in hand. Or you can get an alarm installed. A professional thief will get what he wants regardless, but that little red light might be enough to deter petty theft, atleast for some time.

Last edited by sharkylittleton; 10-27-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Anti-theft systems and things like "The Club" are pretty much useless for stopping seasoned thieves. But like sharky said, a little red light may make them go for the car next to it that doesn't have one. I used to park a Honda Civic on the street, and I liked to think that any little deterent would make a thief go for one of the other ten Honda Civics on the block instead of mine--unless they liked the challenge.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,684 times
Just so you can keep it in perspective (which I'm sure is challenging right now), when I moved to a nice apartment in a desirable harbor area of a desirable beach city here in so cal- the first week i lived there, my OLD single disc car stero was stolen from my car (which was also in gated, subterranean parking under my apartment building AND parked across from the main public elevator). Happens everywhere, my friend. Sorry it happened to you, though. Its a pain in the butt, for sure. Don't give up a neighborhood or apartment you like due to this alone.

P.S.- In the next car I got, I did get an alarm system- just for safe keeping! I probably wouldn't have been inclined to spend the extra money on it otherwise- sine that was the first time something like that happened to me. And it was in a super nice area, too! Grrr!

P.S.S- If we do, in fact, move to Chicago- we will be taking my paid off 2007 Scion tC (otherwise- we would sell it, there is no way I would want to make payments/mortgage on a parking space AND make a car payment!). It has a flip down panel that hides the stereo system. Do you think it would have a high probability of getting broken into? I would hope it would deter a thief, since they can't tell if there is something cool under there or if the face plate was taken off, etc. Plus, I have a bright blue alarm light. What do ya'll think? Too big a risk to take for a potential theif?

Last edited by preppyglam; 10-28-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
Some misguided (and no doubt misbegotten) person stole the catalytic converter off my 9 year old Jeep. This happened in the middle of a Saturday afternoon while parked inside of Lincoln Park. $400 later my car stopped sounding like it had no muffler.

Which is why I try to stay on the south side.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Some misguided (and no doubt misbegotten) person stole the catalytic converter off my 9 year old Jeep. This happened in the middle of a Saturday afternoon while parked inside of Lincoln Park. $400 later my car stopped sounding like it had no muffler.

Which is why I try to stay on the south side.
Manigault, I had a friend who had the same thing happen! He was visiting some friends at UIC and came back to find his cat converter had been sawed off. Sounded horrific!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago