Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times

Advertisements

Fields was a Chicago institution and family tradition. Every Christmas holiday we went downtown to see the holiday windows and visit Santa at Fields. We'd dine in the Walnut Room underneath the big Christmas tree. That was a huge treat and we looked forward to it all year. Everytime I was on the bus or train and saw someone holding the signature green and white shopping bags, I knew they had just been to Fields. Fields was as much a part of my upbringing as Fannie Mays chocolate santas or turtles for Christmas or the buttercreme Easter eggs. The Fields clock is one of the most recognizable images around. It's a shame. Now I"m just getting mad. Screw Macy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
It was such an arrogant move by Macy's to change the name of Marshall's (and I'd add some of the other local chains it bought up like Famous Barr in St. Louis and the Jones Store in Kansas City)

They really seemed to think that we'd all be thrilled with their renaming of our stores, and made some real miscalculations in relation to that. they handled the whole thing very poorly, and they're suffering for it.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Customers should vote w/their dollars for whatever stores offer best value in a safe, pleasing setting....don't really care what brand of store is...or where's HQ....or City vs suburbs...."capitalist democracy" tends to work best to screen out winning businesses from losers....not blind regional/national patriotism
exactly!

now do you want to know the definition of gross stupidity? take a huge downtown department store (one that could only have been built in another era) and remove all the tradition and experience from it through the ingenious move of name change and chain change. IDIOTS! Why on earth would I or anyone want to go up 9 or 10 floors of Macy's which does not relate to Chicago and has the same junk at all its other stores.

These fools didn't see that Field's on State was part merchandise and also part (very important part) entertainment, a connection with the city and its retail history, loaded with traditions. What geniuses. Squeeze all the pizzaz out of a huge department store and still expect people to put on mileage walking the place.

And while we're at it, Federated (now Macy's Inc) had three magic names in retailing....two from NY (Macy's, Bloomingdale's) and one from Chicago (Field's). And they dump the Chicago one. Now THAT'S respect.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
...They really seemed to think that we'd all be thrilled with their renaming of our stores, and made some real miscalculations in relation to that. they handled the whole thing very poorly, and they're suffering for it.
Let them suffer more.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM

157 posts, read 363,519 times
It also took over Foley*s in Houston. I guess I really never thought about it, but it is weird that I will never see a Foley*s again. (astrick intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It was such an arrogant move by Macy's to change the name of Marshall's (and I'd add some of the other local chains it bought up like Famous Barr in St. Louis and the Jones Store in Kansas City)

They really seemed to think that we'd all be thrilled with their renaming of our stores, and made some real miscalculations in relation to that. they handled the whole thing very poorly, and they're suffering for it.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Fields was a Chicago institution and family tradition. Every Christmas holiday we went downtown to see the holiday windows and visit Santa at Fields. We'd dine in the Walnut Room underneath the big Christmas tree. That was a huge treat and we looked forward to it all year. Everytime I was on the bus or train and saw someone holding the signature green and white shopping bags, I knew they had just been to Fields. Fields was as much a part of my upbringing as Fannie Mays chocolate santas or turtles for Christmas or the buttercreme Easter eggs. The Fields clock is one of the most recognizable images around. It's a shame. Now I"m just getting mad. Screw Macy's.
Exactly. This was something that I looked forward to every year and even tried to get back to Chicago to see the windows & tree at Christmas; no matter where I lived at the time. Now, I won't even go to Macy's here in Charlotte and have told all of my friends & family to boycott them as well.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
It's like the New Coke. Anyone remember that marketing brain cramp? BUT Coca Cola was smart enough to back track and bring back Classic Coke. If business continues to decline, perhaps Macy's will be smart enough to back track. At some point it has to be cheaper to pay for extra signage and extra bags(for the local brands) than bear the costs of lost sales. I don't even care if the merchandise has Macy's on it. If they put the local names back in and carry a few local traditions, like Frango Mints, then I think that's enough of a goodwill gesture.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I still have an old empty box of Frango mints with the Field's name. I use it to store paper clips.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
Macy's lol- I only shop at Carson Pirie Scott now. One thing about Chicagoans is that we try to support our companies first- that's why you'll rarely catch me at a CVS, because we have Walgreens.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Macy's lol- I only shop at Carson Pirie Scott now. One thing about Chicagoans is that we try to support our companies first- that's why you'll rarely catch me at a CVS, because we have Walgreens.
that is so funny!! When they started building Walgreens here (in Charlotte), I was so excited. Most people looked at me weird, but, I said, Walgreens is THE place to go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago