Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM

866 posts, read 4,259,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
I've been there a few times, and I rarely find anything I like, I went for shoes and they have a pretty small selection of men shoes for such a big store, same when I went for other clothes and things, the only thing I find and they have a lot are long sleeved shirts. Now I usually go to stores that are specific for what I'm looking for, whether it's shoes, business clothing, sporting clothing, casual clothing, etc
I agree, I went to Macy's a few weeks ago for shoes (Dr. Martens) and they only had a size 12 when I needed a 11. So I went to DSW shoe warehouse and found a size 11. I paid about $15 more at DSW though, I just can't stand waiting for clothes. If I see it I want it today, I think that most people are like that. But I can agree that their shoe selection is very small for the size of the store.

Macy's has also lost sales to Nordstrom from me. Even though they are more expensive, they do have better service than Macy's does.

They only way that Macy's is going to come out of their slump is to update their stores. I know that many of their older suburban and city stores are not good looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
I am one of the boycotters, even though I live in Charlotte now. I refuse to go to the local Macy's on principal. They should never have changed the State St. Marshall Field's name nor the overall policies/procedures of the original store. Reading these posts, it appears that I have not lost anything by boycotting the store.

If they were to change it to condos, keeping the overall structure of the original store (and Marshall Field's name, of course), I think that would be cool. There is plenty of retail a few blocks over on Michigan Ave....

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM

838 posts, read 3,098,492 times
Yeah. i dont think the Marshall Field location is heavily visited by shoppers, and the top floor is literally empty with some rugs on display and a big empty second half. That whole place, historical and valuable maybe, just looks rundown and unwelcoming. dont get wrong, the place itself is amazing with the ceiling and columns and all, but its just not feel like an upscale shopping establishment

Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I agree, I went to Macy's a few weeks ago for shoes (Dr. Martens) and they only had a size 12 when I needed a 11. So I went to DSW shoe warehouse and found a size 11. I paid about $15 more at DSW though, I just can't stand waiting for clothes. If I see it I want it today, I think that most people are like that. But I can agree that their shoe selection is very small for the size of the store.

Macy's has also lost sales to Nordstrom from me. Even though they are more expensive, they do have better service than Macy's does.

They only way that Macy's is going to come out of their slump is to update their stores. I know that many of their older suburban and city stores are not good looking.
Their women's selection is huge! I bought some shoes there a few weeks ago and didn't even realize there was a second huge room of shoes!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 PM

157 posts, read 363,586 times
Default Marshall Fields vs. Macy's? What is the dealy-o?

Can someone explain from a locals point of view what the big ado was about Marshall Fields becoming Macy's. Don't flame me, I haven't moved to the city....yet, so I don't have a rich knowledge of the historical aspects here. Was Marshall Fields in danger of bankruptcy? Would they have gone out of business had Macy's not bought them?

Do tell..And please share your Marshall Field experiences.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
This should help you a bit:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-chicago.html

Maybe you could delete this new thread as well.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-14-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 01:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
I will never step foot in that Macy's.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:47 PM

So many stores and restaurants and what not have become chains. Sometimes I wonder if I ever really moved to a different city cuz I found the same stores everywhere I went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
As a metro Detroiter I had shopped at Marshall Field's for 5 years when it was operating in metro Detroit and Michigan. Anyway, since the name change on State Street in Downtown Chicago I have read numerous articles on the internet and heard from my relatives in Palatine, IL that the State Street Macy's is doing very poor. Is boycotting the State Street store really going to help the city or hurt it? What about if Macy's decides to totally shut down the State Street store and it sits empty as the Hudson's Department store here in Detroit did until it was demolished. I guess the way that I look at it is that yes, Marshall Field's no longer has the beloved Field's name but at least Chicago still gets to keep the landmark department store on state. In Detroit we not only lost the Hudson's name after being in the Detroit market since the 1800's. But we also lost the historic Hudson's flagship store in downtown.

I agree that Macy's should have kept the State Street stores name "Marshall Field's" but whats done is whats done. We are living in a United States were every store, restaurant, and barber shop is owned by a bigger company. So is it really worth it to hurt a landmark? I would love to hear from other people that live in Chicagoland and that are familiar with the topic.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM

473 posts, read 761,224 times
The quality in merchandise has definitely gone down since the switch to Macy's...Even the bags are flimsy and low quality. I don't buy any clothing at Macy's, whereas before I'd occasionally buy clothes at Marshall Field's.

I think the downturn started years ago, when the State Street store was renovated to look more like a mall. I also didn't care for when they created the "mini-stores" (Barbara's Bookstore, Mertz, etc.).

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Thats y there is nordstrom, neiman marcus, saks, and barneys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
The quality in merchandise has definitely gone down since the switch to Macy's...Even the bags are flimsy and low quality. I don't buy any clothing at Macy's, whereas before I'd occasionally buy clothes at Marshall Field's.

I think the downturn started years ago, when the State Street store was renovated to look more like a mall. I also didn't care for when they created the "mini-stores" (Barbara's Bookstore, Mertz, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago