Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 43,322 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I see a lot of new developments in the 23rd and Wabash intersection and am actually interested in one of them. Now, I see some talks on the safety issue around the area, especially considering its proximity to the Hillard Ickes projects (I believe they are located on State and 22nd). I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the area, especially being in the Motor Row district where the properties are still affordable yet the area is a little questionable.

My question is, if you don't really venture out to west of Wabash, will it still be safe to live in the area? I will be living with another roommate and we are both petite harmless female, lol

I am also going to school at night, so most likely I will be taking the Michigan bus that drops me off right in the corner of 23rd and Michigan. How safe will it be to be taking the buses at past 9PM at least twice a week? My roommate will be driving a lot, and we do have a garage in the development that we are looking for, so I don't think that she will have any problem.

Any thoughts on the area (Motor Row district as a whole) is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,324 times
To me it seems once you get south of Cermak along Wabash, Michigan, & Indiana it seems a bit desolate. Also, with Ickes so close by, I don't know if I'd want to live there. If you do move there, I'd definitely say be careful, and watch yourselves.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I think calling 23rd and Wabash the "South Loop" is really stretching things... Is the "South Loop" ever going to get any official boundaries, or will real estate agents keep pushing it south until it hits Hyde Park? I mean, as a North Side comparison, 2300 North is WELL into Lincoln Park, and there are several other neighborhoods between there and the "Loop" (River North, Gold Coast, Old Town).

Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the response, guys!

Lookout Kid, hey you made a great point. When I first took a look at the property, I was questioning whether or not it technically still qualifies as South Loop. However, my agent insisted that it is part of the Motor Row district, which basically is a part of South Loop (along with Dearborn Park and Prairie district - again, according to him). What do you think of the safety issue?

Mister Mappy, just as you stated, I am really hesitating on moving in there right away, especially with my part time school situation.

Anyone heard of the possibility of Hillard Ickes projects transferring somewhere else?

Motor row district is really a pretty fascinating neighborhood. I see nicer homes/lofts and new developments east side of Wabash, but it is in such a stark contrast to the section 8 housing on the State street side. What a drastic change, looking at how close these streets are to one another (two blocks).

Any other inputs?

Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Safety? Well, you could have some issues. But every year gentrifiers push further south. I remember thinking several years ago that it looked sketchy south of Roosevelt. A few years later I thought 14th Street looked like the edge. Now I think I'd want to be north of 18th Street, but I haven't been over the in at least a month so my information could be dated already!

The low-rise projects on State Street aren't going anywhere any time soon, so I would avoid them. Motor Row seems like it has some potential, however. I love the strip of older buildings on Michigan.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:00 PM

91 posts, read 293,960 times
Default Surviving in any big city - regardless of location

Well - its hard to give you advice without making you paranoid. As usual, most people will simply state "Oh dont live there" - as if everyone has the means to ONLY live in the more utopian areas of the city. I guess its easier to run away from any potential "problems" then actually becoming proactive & learning to deal with the fact that opportunistic n'er do wells exist in ANY big city; whether its a mugging or identity theft the crime trade is everywhere - you simply have to use common sense & take precautions so that you dont raise your chances of being a victim - thats the essence of CITY LIFE.

TRUE - there are some areas/neighborhoods where people can leave car doors unlocked, sit their purse down for more than 3 seconds, & even walk with their wallets sticking partiways out of their jeans - but no matter WHERE you are dont temp the fates!

TRUE - The Ickes projects are 99.99% black & since the area is gentrifying - there are more police patrols, BUT unless you plan to be involved in illegal drug buys & gang type activities - chances are that most of those "thugs" arent gonna even cross your path - ( When you make $5K+ a day in drug sales - robbing random people kinda loses its appeal - dont you think? )

Here's my advice: I'm born & bred in Chicago - (the dreaded South side - that most folks dare not live if they dont have too - we cant all live next to Wrigley Field )
  • Chicago wont let you carry taser guns & mace should be on EVERY womans key ring. The days will get shorter soon - so you need to be aware of your surroundings at 4PM - not just 9PM.
  • When you exit the bus or walk to the bus - keep the CELL PHONE IPOD / headphones OFF!!!
  • Wear ONE type of satchel - carrying a purse, gymbag, briefcase, & groceries can turn you into a mark.
  • Carry ONLY the ID & cash cards that you need - BELIEVE ME - if you drop your wallet on the bus - you will be giving hundreds of thieves a Merry Xmas.
  • If you encounter the random HOBO that seems bothersome - be firm & direct if you feel them to be bothersome. Use your "outdoor voice" you dont have to be belligerent - but do be curt.
  • Lastly - IF you walk a route that passes other residences - SAY HELLO to people that appear to reside there - let people know you arent just a random pedestrian. Its easier to remember faces when they acknowledge your presence.
I hope this helps - crime does happen unfortunately - but if you poll the women from the graduating classes of our top universities ( UIC , IIT, UofC, DeVRy) i doubt if more than 1% have been a victim of a crime where the assailant was a resident of the not so nice neighborhood nearby.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks again for the responses, guys!

You are all definitely right, we just have to make sure that we "don't tempt the fates". I am really attracted to the neighborhood just because I see the potential of it gentrifying faster. Coming from a not-so-safe third world country, I can definitely relate to the entire "you gotta be careful wherever you go" view.

I am not sure what other people's experience has been if they've lived close by projects, so I am definitely interested in their input as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 PM

I live on the edge of Uptown, which is a neighborhood with it's issues. However, until the "Baby Wellness Check" scam I posted about yesterday, we haven't had any trouble. People who live in the heart of Uptown tell a different story. A few blocks makes a big difference in this town, even if the borders are perceived.

The South Loop isn't priced like it nestles up against some nasty CHA housing, so I don't buy DADASGIRL's argments there. There are plenty of condos in this city priced lower than the furthest southern edge of the "South Loop" that aren't unsafe at all.

That said, the Ickes projects don't seem to generate a lot of thuggish foot traffic in the direction of Motor Row area. This area was sparsely populated before this condo boom, and suffered more from the high density of poverty in the since-demolished Robert Taylor homes. the lower-rise housing there now isn't as big a factor. I think Motor Row is probably a little bit less safe than the blocks further north, but it's not totally crazy to live there or anything. Maybe ten years ago, but not now. Just be careful, as DADASGIRL has mentioned.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,413 times
Default NewGal83- Did you move to the Motor Row area ?

My wife & I moved to the Motor Row Lofts (Michigan/23rd) in September
and although the area needs to get developed, we love it.

SoLoMotorRow

Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
It's still a very mixed area. Last year I would have told you that the development was rapidly heading south towards Mercy Hospital and the convention center and that Motor Row was a great investment. Now...I'm not so sure. Cermak seems to be the dividing line. North of Cermak, State, Wabash, and especially Michigan, are fine. South of Cermak...Michigan is OK, I think, but Wabash is still very iffy and State street just plain unsafe with the public housing projects there. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd be a bit more cautious now with the economy the way it is. It isn't going to pick up anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: