Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I don't know. It seems as if there is a disturbing glee in the tone of the original post.
You're not the only one who sees it

Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
You're not the only one who sees it
Maybe that's how Near-West Siders really feel.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
As we all know - crimes happen everywhere, just with more or less frequency in different areas. Its interesting that this morning's news made sure to state that the incident was not believed to be gang related - as if to shelter the neighborhood's reputation.

Yea, we see this with Oak Park all the time. When something bad happens there, there's almost always something in the article about it being spillover crime from Austin, isolated, committed by a non-resident, or something which reassures the reader that the incident is not indicative of daily life in the Village. When something bad happens in Cicero or Berwyn, such qualifiers are usually absent, even though both have lower overall crime rates than Oak Park. So, technically speaking, the qualifiers would be more appropriate when talking about crime in those communities versus Oak Park.

This isn't meant to slam Oak Park of course, but to underscore how perceptions (and dare I say demographics) definitely color how a story will be presented by the news media. If this had happened in Washington Heights or Chatham, I doubt you'd see the qualifiers and justification that we're getting here.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:28 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yea, we see this with Oak Park all the time. When something bad happens there, there's almost always something in the article about it being spillover crime from Austin, isolated, committed by a non-resident, or something which reassures the reader that the incident is not indicative of daily life in the Village. When something bad happens in Cicero or Berwyn, such qualifiers are usually absent, even though both have lower overall crime rates than Oak Park. So, technically speaking, the qualifiers would be more appropriate when talking about crime in those communities versus Oak Park.

This isn't meant to slam Oak Park of course, but to underscore how perceptions (and dare I say demographics) definitely color how a story will be presented by the news media. If this had happened in Washington Heights or Chatham, I doubt you'd see the qualifiers and justification that we're getting here.
That's interesting. Personally, I don't feel particularly comforted knowing I have neighbors who would assassinate each other to settle a dispute, but I guess it is better than a random shooting.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM

107 posts, read 327,553 times
God bless the poor guy who died. This only goes to show that the southside has a lot of cleaning up to do before people start considering it as a legitimate alternative to higher priced places to the north. The southside just can't shed it's image of being a haven for hood rats...

Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
God bless the poor guy who died. This only goes to show that the southside has a lot of cleaning up to do before people start considering it as a legitimate alternative to higher priced places to the north. The southside just can't shed it's image of being a haven for hood rats...
WHat?
As if there are never shootings north of Madison?!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
That's interesting. Personally, I don't feel particularly comforted knowing I have neighbors who would assassinate each other to settle a dispute, but I guess it is better than a random shooting.
LOL. True enough. Better unless you're the guy who got killed anyway.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
WHat?
Lest we forget Austin, West and East Garfield Park, and parts of Humbolt Park.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:58 PM

107 posts, read 327,553 times
Quote:
WHat?
This Google map shows a "plume" of shootings that seem to erupt south of 43rd street. It's almost as if there's an invisible barrier, that's why I was advocating as if there is a 38th parallel dividing the city as there is between the two Koreas.

Google Maps

Notice how downtown there are virtually no shootings... Chicago's neighborhoods are much more dangerous than its actual downtown! There are a few shootings scattered west of the loop, but that is a 'newly' rough area that has been run down by illegals and their gangs, and by no means as dangerous as the southern half of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago