Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

I definitely wouldn't not consider a move to Beverly because of one incident. If you did that, you'd pretty much have no where to live

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
There was a shootout between police and a robbery suspect near Armitage and Sheffield in Lincoln Park a few years ago... Did anyone say that was the end of Lincoln Park? Of course not! The whole idea that Beverly is going downhill because of one shooting is completely ridiculous. Even if there were five shootings in a year I wouldn't call it a trend. Have you ever heard of the idea of an isolated incident? Do you remember the shooting spree in Wilmette a couple of years ago? What about this thing in Tinley Park? The Brown's Chicken thing in Palatine? All of these communities are fine today.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Exactly.

What I found alarming was the shooting further south in Morgan Park. Some dude got shot in the back at a birthday party! I know East Morgan Park is having some gang issues right now, but how crazy is that?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM

36 posts, read 148,447 times
it's still on the list since my husband was kind of considering it because of affordability, but frankly i was never gunhoe about it. really, i can't imagine it's less safe than lakeview, where we live now, but i mean part of the reason why we are considering a move out of the lakeview is affordability, but also schools. beverly would be private school for us, so then the main idea in a move to beverly would be affordability, but also because it's one of the "safest" neighborhoods in the chicago area. well, if the level of safety is not gonna be any better than say, oak park or most places in the city, then i would rather live somewhere else, where safety is about the same, but i won't have to pay for private school.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh, and if you know of any Beverly residents fleeing because of this incident, shoot me an email with their address so I can pick up their house on the cheap

Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There was a shootout between police and a robbery suspect near Armitage and Sheffield in Lincoln Park a few years ago... Did anyone say that was the end of Lincoln Park? Of course not! The whole idea that Beverly is going downhill because of one shooting is completely ridiculous. Even if there were five shootings in a year I wouldn't call it a trend. Have you ever heard of the idea of an isolated incident? Do you remember the shooting spree in Wilmette a couple of years ago? What about this thing in Tinley Park? The Brown's Chicken thing in Palatine? All of these communities are fine today.
I agree. If anything would characterize Beverly as thriving and on the upswing over the past five years (though it has always been a good neighborhood).

Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles81 View Post
it's still on the list since my husband was kind of considering it because of affordability, but frankly i was never gunhoe about it. really, i can't imagine it's less safe than lakeview, where we live now, but i mean part of the reason why we are considering a move out of the lakeview is affordability, but also schools. beverly would be private school for us, so then the main idea in a move to beverly would be affordability, but also because it's one of the "safest" neighborhoods in the chicago area. well, if the level of safety is not gonna be any better than say, oak park or most places in the city, then i would rather live somewhere else, where safety is about the same, but i won't have to pay for private school.
Have you looked on everyblock for crime stats? Beverly still has stuff going on- just like Lakeview. It's still extremely safe.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles81 View Post
Yes, public high school is the big issue in Beverly. There is a big push by BAPA to integrate Morgan Park High School, but it's not currently a popular choice among Beverly residents (it's interesting to read about their efforts). For K-8 Sutherland is very good. My kids go to Lab School in Hyde Park. It does hurt to write the tuition checks every quarter, so I can understand how you feel. Still, I can't stomach the suburbs, and Beverly prices and housing stock are unbeatable, even compared to Oak Park.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

maybe my word choice wasn't clear. i am saying that i am sure beverly and lakeview are pretty on par in terms of safety...i have never felt unsafe in my neighborhood. actually i felt less safe where i lived in miami, and i lived in one of the nicer areas of town.
anyway, the issue with us is schools. i would rather live in an equally safe neighborhood where i don't have to pay for school. lakeview is not it, atleast not where we live in lakeview, and neither is beverly, i think, although my husband still wants to consider it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM

i would love to send my kids to lab, but really it's just not a choice for us. we can't afford to pay that much for private school (assuming he would even get in, which seems nearly impossible unless the parents are alums themselves or professors at U of C) and saving for college and retirement.

trust me i would love to stay in teh city, but it's just not affordable for us with law school loans, etc. the other option for us would be to stay in the city and try for a magnet school, but it's risky. i have heard that even considering that our son is a minority (i am cuban), the likelihood of his getting into a magnet is zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago