Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:48 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times

Advertisements

Come on Jay....You could at least look at Emily Blunt...can't call that garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, 2 things:

1. I must say that I am always amazed that Wrightwood Avenue along the park DOES seem to get a huge amount of traffic!.... That always stuck out, to me.

2. I needed you to back me up that the movie, A Quiet Place, was horrible garbage!

What I also like about the Wrightwood Park area is that it is very close to one of the only Barnes and Noble bookstores, in the city. It is on Clybourn and Webster. There is a Pequods Pizza there across the street, which I've never had, but it gets many good reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,230 times
I did not like that movie either. I wouldn't call it garbage, but it was all around... meh. There are movies with more likeable characters, and there are movies with better suspense and action scenes.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Stay away from the L and stay away from big intersections. I lived in an area of Bridgeport that was away from the highway, away from CTA, and away from a big intersection and it was pretty quiet.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,230 times
Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll keep in mind those places. I can't believe I forgot to ask this, but is there a tip to guess how quiet a building itself might be? Looking online I've been told rent in a concrete building, rent a pre-war building, etc. But I've also heard bad experiences of living in a pre-war building, and rental websites don't usually state building material.

I've considered getting an Airbnb for the first couple weeks to avoid renting without seeing, but I'm not sure if it's feasible with cats. I'm already stressed enough about physically transporting all of us to Chicago.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:03 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,252,251 times
hendersj31, good morning.

SEE Emily Blunt?!?.... Sir, how could I see ANYthing after my own head imploded when these 2 parent/ "Scientists" walked out of a store with their 5-year-old IN THE FAR BACK of the line?!?.... and that happened in the very beginning of the film!!

I wonder if "Scientists" know that childbirth makes noise?? How about a brand new BABY???

Well maybe we can just keep the baby behind a waterfall that all this time we never even told our other kids about ALL this time!

The GOOD news: our OP received some really good feedback from our esteemed colleagues. I wish them the most success with finding "a quiet place" in Chicago!

If distance wasn't an issue, I'd recommend Forest Glen or Norwood Park. If the overhead planes is not a factor, those neighborhoods are lovely AND quiet...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find a waterfall so I, too, can scream!!

P.S. remember when the little boy said, "Dad. you should tell your daughter that you love her."....... Ohhhhh, Father of the Year!

Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
You can look up building ages via this map:
https://data.cityofchicago.org/Build...ent-/hz9b-7nh8
Older buildings have less insulation, especially around windows and doors. There's a pocket of concrete loft buildings around Southport Ave that you might look into, which combine old heavy-duty construction, newer windows, and a location away from busier streets and nightlife.

I concur with others that Lincoln Park is a bit too close-in to be really quiet -- between the volume of cut-through traffic on roads like Clark, Clybourn, and Lake Shore Drive, the 'L' train, and the nightlife around DePaul. You might be better off looking a bit further northwest, towards Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:05 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylily11x View Post
I can't believe I forgot to ask this, but is there a tip to guess how quiet a building itself might be? Looking online I've been told rent in a concrete building, rent a pre-war building, etc. But I've also heard bad experiences of living in a pre-war building, and rental websites don't usually state building material.
I've lived in both old, prewar buildings and a modern concrete highrise. The concrete highrise was much quieter overall (except when there was interior construction going on). In the prewar buildings you can experience a lot of noise from above or below. Especially if there are wood floors without carpeting. In a prewar building your best bet is to get an apartment on the top floor if possible.

In either style building, avoid taking an apartment right next to an elevator (if there is one).

If you do end up in a place that's not as quiet as you'd like, remember that earplugs plus white noise (such as from a fan running) are an apartment dweller's best friend.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 PM

41 posts, read 44,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Last October one of the saddest stories I’ve ever read emerged from Buena Park. An Ecuadorian refugee, who worked at one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln Park, was gunned down around 2pm on Belle Plain. He worked two jobs and was simply coming home to rest before starting his second job at the Athenian Room.

I know Buena Park is classified as Uptown, but for years I always thought it might be OK.
That's too bad. We never lived in that neighborhood, but it always seemed quiet and kind of tranquil during the day (relatively speaking).

OP, if the kind of noise that bothers you is music or noise from neighbors, then 100% look for a concrete high rise. You really won't hear your neighbors in one of these buildings, though you may still get a lot of ambient noise from other buildings, compressors on roofs and of course sirens below. But to block out "people" noise, the concrete high rise is the way to go.

I still think getting an AirBB or a short term rental would be a good idea. Maybe just explain your situation to the AirB&B host and they'll make an exception. You don't want to get locked into a lease and be miserable. Trust me on that.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Best to live on a side street, near where not much bar or nightlife happens. In Lincoln Park, I'd say nothing just east of Clark Street, maybe go toward the lake actually, and maybe west of Halsted, I'm just guessing since I lived in East Lakeview, where i lived was quieter, i lived in that part east of Broadway and it was pretty quiet. the more west you go away from busy Clark Street and Halsted Street, i think its quieter. Even toward Ashland it gets quieter. So stay away from the bars and nightlife area and it will be quieter.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:29 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
For a quite place, avoid any building where there is a sign out front: "No Loitering".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago