Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 03:57 PM

46 posts, read 60,035 times

Advertisements

I’m considering moving to Chicago sometime after Covid. I rely on public transit and was wondering what anyone thinks about the future of public transit in Chicago. I’ve heard different things about the future of public transit in this country post Covid, but I wanted to hear input specifically from Chicagoans. I’m basically wanting to get away from small towns and small cities as they are too small minded, I’ve always been a big city person. That said, I think it’s best to continue researching a potential move.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Public transportation will not go away. Schedules will just be more limited and you might see some station closures in the future. Less bus stops and routes and less train cars. Most ridership is due to the daily commute and with remote work this will be cut in half. But it won't go away completely.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 PM

504 posts, read 497,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
I’m considering moving to Chicago sometime after Covid. I rely on public transit and was wondering what anyone thinks about the future of public transit in Chicago. I’ve heard different things about the future of public transit in this country post Covid, but I wanted to hear input specifically from Chicagoans. I’m basically wanting to get away from small towns and small cities as they are too small minded, I’ve always been a big city person. That said, I think it’s best to continue researching a potential move.
Don't worry about the CTA going away in your lifetime. It is only going to see more federal money in the future and they definitely won't remove the rails at any time. Chicago is a great city to live near the L! I barely drive once a week here and its mainly to Home Depot.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
It will pick back up. Give it a couple of years.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:15 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Don't worry about the CTA going away in your lifetime. It is only going to see more federal money in the future and they definitely won't remove the rails at any time. Chicago is a great city to live near the L! I barely drive once a week here and its mainly to Home Depot.
Amen! We're getting a huge pot o' gold from the feds. I hope a lot of that gets used for public transit expansion. We have a lot of public transit isolated neighborhoods, which is inexcusable for a big city

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Amen! We're getting a huge pot o' gold from the feds. I hope a lot of that gets used for public transit expansion. We have a lot of public transit isolated neighborhoods, which is inexcusable for a big city
There is no way any big city should consider public transportation expansion with remote work. The numbers will not support it.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
There is no way any big city should consider public transportation expansion with remote work. The numbers will not support it.
I think the issue is that at least in Chicago, some of the transportation isolated (e.g. on the South Side) are areas where more people are essential workers who are not eligible for remote work. Perhaps something like a transportation realignment would be more appropriate, with expansion in areas where there is still a need and a reduction in service in areas where fewer people are commuting.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Yes they will.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the issue is that at least in Chicago, some of the transportation isolated (e.g. on the South Side) are areas where more people are essential workers who are not eligible for remote work. Perhaps something like a transportation realignment would be more appropriate, with expansion in areas where there is still a need and a reduction in service in areas where fewer people are commuting.
That's correct. Not every Chicagoan lives in the Emerald City and has a high paying desk job that can be done from home. And there's also going to be a big backlash against the isolation of working at home, which fewer and fewer are thinking is a good long term thing, especially young professionals who were driving urban expansion pre-pandemic. There's a need and demand for public transit expansion.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM

425 posts, read 467,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is absolutely true! Within architecture and urban planning circles - many are anticipating that remote workers will be a slightly larger niche group after the pandemic - but still a niche group.

Companies are finding that their operations are passable working from home - but it is not the same as collaborating in the same space. Not to mention where does company culture fit in if everyone is working from home??

And lastly - high tech service jobs will likely be the professions that may see some of their ranks stick with remote working after the pandemic. And not everyone in Chicago's work force has a job in that sector. As Ramen Addict mentioned, for many many people - remote work still won't be an option.

Public transit will remain a backbone in the city's infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago