Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM

54 posts, read 165,300 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry to ask 101 questions!!

But while the Metra *bus* isn't affiliated with the CTA and the El, the RTA cards - like the 3 day visitor passes are good on both the El and the CTA buses? Yes?

RTA | Fare Information (http://rtachicago.com/travel/fareinfo.asp#cta - broken link)

This is what makes me think that. I'm sorry for asking, but I just wanted to doublecheck my info before deciding for sure to do park and drive. Last minute decisions are BAD for a family of eight. Better to have everything planned.

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,388 times
On a CTA card that I have, it states that the visitor passes are good for PACE buses, except route 835. So, you should be able to use a visitor pass for PACE buses, CTA buses, and the El. The Metra is the only thing you'd have to buy a separate ticket for.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:47 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
There is no such thing as a Metra bus. CTA operates buses in the city and some nearby suburbs, usually just passing through in or out of the city. CTA also operates the EL, again in the city and some nearby suburbs. Pace operates the great majority of suburban bus service. Metra operates commuter rail only from the distant suburbs into the city. The RTA theoretically coordinates transit among the three agencies. In reality, they don't do a thing except waste limited transit funds on an extra level of bureaucracy. Metra fares are completely and totally seperate from CTA and Pace. As for CTA and Pace, it used to be that their fares were pretty much interchangable. Nowadays, good luck trying to figure out which passes are good on which system, or how much it's going to cost if you need to use both CTA and Pace to get to where you're going. Not that you need to worry about any of this. If you do go to the Forest Park Blue Line Station you will only be using CTA to get around, so you only need to be concerned with CTA fares. If you're a bit lost when you get to the station, look for a CTA employee to explain your options. Incredibly, many of them are actually somewhat helpful.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:54 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
I'm so sorry to ask 101 questions!!

But while the Metra *bus* isn't affiliated with the CTA and the El, the RTA cards - like the 3 day visitor passes are good on both the El and the CTA buses? Yes?
To answer your question more directly, the answer is yes, the pass is good on both CTA buses and the El.

The bad news is, the visitors pass is not sold at the Forest Park station.

Click here for everything you need to know about visitors passes, and other CTA fares:

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/fares.html#e (broken link)

You know, I never realized how complicated our system can be until now.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:36 AM

54 posts, read 165,300 times
Actually, SHOCKINGLY enough, I found not only where I could buy the Visitor Pass, but also where I can buy it on a Sunday morning! Score two points for me. See ya'all before noon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago