Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM

24 posts, read 53,579 times

Advertisements

If I purchase a 7 day CTA pass will that cover all public transit options? Is the Metra differnt than the L? Like always your help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM

165 posts, read 371,992 times
CTA pass will cover the El, but will not cover Metra trains. You will have to purchase those tickets separately.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM

258 posts, read 760,130 times
The only thing you can use on both systems is cash. You can use the CTA pass only on CTA trains and buses. Not on Metra trains.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrownBuffalo View Post
If I purchase a 7 day CTA pass will that cover all public transit options? Is the Metra differnt than the L? Like always your help is appreciated!
The CTA pass is NOT accepted on the METRA trains or on the suburban PACE systems.

The METRA rail is generally all that great of an option unless you are commuting in from the suburbs or heading out of the Chicago city proper. The trains run FAR LESS frequently and are generally far more expensive.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 53,579 times
Thanks a bunch!!! That clears it up.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I really wish they'd figure out how to update Metra to a uniform pass system with the CTA.

with the gate-less entry though and zones, it would be difficult.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I really wish they'd figure out how to update Metra to a uniform pass system with the CTA.

with the gate-less entry though and zones, it would be difficult.
yea, theres really no way to do it. with most of metra boardings taking place at grade crossings spanning a couple city blocks, a turnstyle system is unfeasible. the only solution would be to grade seperate the entire line, which unfortunately wont happen in any of our lifetimes.

anyway, a Zone system is entirely practical for Metra where you have a system which almost extends into other states.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Just touch your Chicago card to a portable reader the conductor could carry on Metra trains. Simple enough. I was in Hong Kong a couple months ago, and not only could you use the stored value card on all forms of transit, it could be used in fast food restaurants, convenience stores, etc. We're way behind in the US.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
yea, theres really no way to do it. with most of metra boardings taking place at grade crossings spanning a couple city blocks, a turnstyle system is unfeasible. the only solution would be to grade seperate the entire line, which unfortunately wont happen in any of our lifetimes.

anyway, a Zone system is entirely practical for Metra where you have a system which almost extends into other states.
it's not unheard of. w/ the MBTA in Mass., the commuter rail passes (which is basically like the Metra in that it goes by zones) can be used on the regular MBTA trains and buses. basically, you buy a zone pass depending on where you live and that pass can also be used for unlimited rides on the T's subway lines, trolley, buses, and I think maybe the commuter boat. and the MA commuter rail does extend into RI

in fact, even w/ the regular subways, trolley and some bus lines, you have to pay a bit extra if you plan on going far out of Boston. there was even a time (not sure if this is still the case since I moved) when you had to pay to leave the station if you were out of the zone (there was even an old song about it, "Charlie on the MTA"). it wasn't a perfect system of course, but it's still in existence, AFAIK

Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it's not unheard of. w/ the MBTA in Mass., the commuter rail passes (which is basically like the Metra in that it goes by zones) can be used on the regular MBTA trains and buses. basically, you buy a zone pass depending on where you live and that pass can also be used for unlimited rides on the T's subway lines, trolley, buses, and I think maybe the commuter boat. and the MA commuter rail does extend into RI

in fact, even w/ the regular subways, trolley and some bus lines, you have to pay a bit extra if you plan on going far out of Boston. there was even a time (not sure if this is still the case since I moved) when you had to pay to leave the station if you were out of the zone (there was even an old song about it, "Charlie on the MTA"). it wasn't a perfect system of course, but it's still in existence, AFAIK
Now that is a nice system. The best we have locally is the link up sticker...only good on metra monthly passes and only good during certain hours.

I think it is a combination of problems. Lack of motivation and coordination on the part of the local transit authorities. And lack of compatibility. If metra accepted the cta Chicago card then a lot of the problem would be solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago