Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times

Advertisements

Not in the City of Chicago, but Illinois Beach State Park is one of my absolute favorites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times
riffle, you just go ahead and share your good reviews!

We love to hear anything that is positive!!

Thank you for sharing!!

Old 02-10-2021, 08:58 AM

Good morning, I do not want to speak heresy, but as much as I love Edison Park, and knowing that it is a rather well-to-do area, I am kind of surprised that the parks are for the most part, FORGIVE ME, rather plain.

Even the sign on Northwest Highway and Devon indicating you are now in "EDISON PARK" is a real small wooden sign.

My guess? This is a community that is NOT trying to draw attention, especially from outsiders?

When I think of Little Village or Chinatown, for example, those signs DEFINITELY tell you where you are entering...Or maybe because those are on strips of a lot of commerce that WANTS to be seen, so as to draw in clients?

Either way, my kids and I have enjoyed Olympia Park and Monument Playlot in Edison Park... And those parks are good sized, decent play areas, and usually rather filled with kids.

Again, I think of the splash pad at River Park, and the 2 hoses at Olympia Park do NOT compare.

I'm not trying to give a negative vibe, here. I DO love Edison Park. Maybe they are just being more reserved and humble?

Old 02-10-2021, 09:43 AM

223 posts, read 170,637 times
Master jay, Edison park does not have Much space I think. There is not much more to Edison park beyond northwest highway.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:15 AM

chicagoisthebest, how are you?

You are right. It is essentially all residential. There are the stores along Northwest Highway, as well as along Touhy Avenue.

I have attended mass several times at St. Juliana, on Touhy. Always a 45-minute mass!

Seems like a great area to raise a family. I guess one could always take a short drive to River Park for a free splash pad. Of course, maybe to spend money at Oakton Park in Skokie, or in nearby Niles, in order to utilize a nice swimming area is just "peanuts" to spend.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:14 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, I do not want to speak heresy, but as much as I love Edison Park, and knowing that it is a rather well-to-do area, I am kind of surprised that the parks are for the most part, FORGIVE ME, rather plain.

Even the sign on Northwest Highway and Devon indicating you are now in "EDISON PARK" is a real small wooden sign.

My guess? This is a community that is NOT trying to draw attention, especially from outsiders?

When I think of Little Village or Chinatown, for example, those signs DEFINITELY tell you where you are entering...Or maybe because those are on strips of a lot of commerce that WANTS to be seen, so as to draw in clients?

Either way, my kids and I have enjoyed Olympia Park and Monument Playlot in Edison Park... And those parks are good sized, decent play areas, and usually rather filled with kids.

Again, I think of the splash pad at River Park, and the 2 hoses at Olympia Park do NOT compare.

I'm not trying to give a negative vibe, here. I DO love Edison Park. Maybe they are just being more reserved and humble?
Hi - I dont envision a quiet suburb like Edison park having a huge sign like the ones in Pilsen or Chinatown, its more mellow than that lol. For sure your not going to get a sign like that over on the North Shore

I've driven in the suburbs and some of them dont even have any signage, not even a tiny one, but i know when i cross a particular main street, i know im there. maybe its more mellow to go with the flavor of the neighborhood. But sometimes you get something unique to the town like antique street lights, so that is in a way a sign you are in a particular neighborhood like Oak Park or even Taylor Street over by the restaurant area of Tri Taylor over by UIC neighborhood.

Old Town has a cute unique signage though too, come to think of it PLUS cute antique street lamps.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM

ChicagoMeO, good morning! Stay warm!!

Yes, I think the good folks of Edison Park prefer to keep things low key!

I do recall the Old Town signage. It has a good look! I have been to the Barnes and Noble by Division. I believe that is part of Old Town.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:09 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
japster28, good to see you here!

Thank you for backing up some previously nominated parks: Lincoln Park, Ping Tom, and Pamisano.

That Lilly Pond in Lincoln Park is on my summer list!

Speaking of good sledding hills, I saw an article of another mentioned park, Warren Park, where they showed a bunch of kids tubing in the snow.
Speaking of sledding hills, I forgot Gompers Park(west of Foster and Pulaski) was popular with sledders! Saw quite a few sledding there on the north side of that park(just north of Foster), when I passed through that park last week. It looked like there might be some potential places to sled there south of Foster within that park, when I passed through there as well.

And Evanston has 2 parks that are popular for sledding, in the winter. The better known of these 2 parks is James Park on the southwest side of Evanston(near Oakton and Dodge), where people sled down "Mount Trashmore" in the southwest corner of that park. I'm not joking btw, that hill is actually nicknamed that for whatever reason! Also Leahy Park(at Ridge and Lincoln), has a small hill that I saw people were sledding down on the east side of that park. It looked like that hill wasn't as high up, as the hill at James Park though.

Quote:
ChicagoMeO, good morning! Stay warm!!

Yes, I think the good folks of Edison Park prefer to keep things low key!

I do recall the Old Town signage. It has a good look! I have been to the Barnes and Noble by Division. I believe that is part of Old Town.
The pics I see of Old Town from say like the 1960s to 1980s, sometimes make me wish I could jump into a time machine to see what that older version of Old Town was like, vs. the cleaned up Old Town neighborhood you see today. It looks like per those older pics that Old Town(at least the shops on Wells St) had a little more charm back then, that's kinda been lost a little bit in recent decades. At least Old Town Ale House on North Ave(just west of Wells St) is still there, to this day. I hope that place survives COVID, and never closes! Ditto with the original location of Nookies Diner, on Wells.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,346 times
Lincoln Park zoo obviously..later you can visit thai lotus bodywork for your relaxation if you want

Old 02-15-2021, 06:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
......sled down "Mount Trashmore" in the southwest corner of that park. I'm not joking btw, that hill is actually nicknamed that for whatever reason! .....
The property that "Mt Trashmore"/James Park is on, was once a dump/landfill. The dump was shut down and made into a park begining in the mid 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago