Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 07:32 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

SonySegaTendo617, good morning. So now I have learned from Chicagoisthebest that Gompers Park is great for turtles in summer and you shared that Gompers park is good for sledding in the winter. Sounds like an all around great park then!

I have only hung around Evanston a handful of times. I actually do like the town. And it has some really nice parks/beaches.

And as colleague BOBNCHI shared the history of James Park, well, it sounds like that land changed for the better

Old Town is another area that sounds like it would have been interesting to see "back in the day". I don't mind going through it. It's been about 3 or 4 years since I got out and hung around places there. Nothing bad about the area. Just not my typical hang out spot.

STAY WARM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 07:34 AM

syeed abir, good morning. Welcome, And thank you for sharing.

Yes, Lincoln Zoo is a definite favorite. And after all this time, NO entry fee! Unbelievable!

Thai Lotus Bodywork? I never heard of it. But I saw you mentioned it in another post. You must REALLY like it!

Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Lincoln Park - so much variety if you're using a broad definition of Lincoln Park stretching all the way up to the end of the lakefront path.
Chase Park at the border of Uptown/Ravenswood - it has a track
Hamlin Park - pool
Horner Park - nice big park
Warren Park - outdoor ice rink
Marquette Park - golf course, used to go there as a kid
Kennedy Park - used to go there as a kid

Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 PM

fusillirob1983, good afternoon!

A lot of parks from many parts of the city! Sounds like you had a lot of good experiences!

Thank you for sharing.

Maybe a little cold for ice skating, you think??

Old 02-15-2021, 03:47 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, good afternoon!

A lot of parks from many parts of the city! Sounds like you had a lot of good experiences!

Thank you for sharing.

Maybe a little cold for ice skating, you think??

Too cold unfortunately! They have broomball leagues at Warren Park that I participated in up there. I had several games in below zero wind chill during the polar vortex in 2014 unfortunately.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:08 PM

fusillirob1983, you are definitely devoted if you had gone out therein a vortex.

Stay warm. By March we should be ready to walk outside.lol

Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
<snip>

And Evanston has 2 parks that are popular for sledding, in the winter. The better known of these 2 parks is James Park on the southwest side of Evanston(near Oakton and Dodge), where people sled down "Mount Trashmore" in the southwest corner of that park. I'm not joking btw, that hill is actually nicknamed that for whatever reason! Also Leahy Park(at Ridge and Lincoln), has a small hill that I saw people were sledding down on the east side of that park. It looked like that hill wasn't as high up, as the hill at James Park though.

<snip>
Mount Trashmore was named that because it was built on a landfill

Mount Trashmore is a 65 ft. hill located in Robert E. James Park in Evanston, Illinois. Mount Trashmore is an example of landfill reuse as it was a solid waste landfill that was closed and converted into a park in 1965. In 1973, Evanston began allowing skiing on Mount Trashmore, installing a tow rope and snow making machines.

It is now prohibited by the city though. No one seems to pay attention to the rule.

https://patch.com/illinois/evanston/...ing-subculture

I am pretty sure the hill at Leahy Park is closed. It was right across the street from my Evanston house and unfortunately, the hill went right toward the street. I think they leveled it after we moved away.

Last edited by nana053; 02-17-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 AM

Good morning, here's one that I do not believe was mentioned on this thread: John Walsh Park, on the eastern end of the 606 Trail.

I remember several years ago before the trail was created, my dad and I rode our bikes into there. A man was just laying on the ground on the path, so I rode over by him to check on him.

When the 606 was created, I remember those trees along the edge were just recently planted babies!!!

I'm looking more and more forward to the warm weather, and getting my bike down there by you guys!!!

Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM

Speaking of bicycling, I love the North Branch Trail. And I plan to one day do the trip from the Chicago Botanic Gardens all the way down to Gompers Park.

Crazy experience: One day I was bicycling at the section near Edgebrook Woods Reserve (going east of Central Avenue). 2 bicyclists came around a corner towards me at a crazy fast rate, and came into my side of the bicycle path. So I just stopped in my spot because I figured I might move in the same direction they'd have to move, in order to avoid crashing into me.

So I was in my lane, and was NOT in the wrong. Well, one of the guys made a very rude remark to ME. And as peaceful as Master Jay is, THAT is when the old street-raised Master Jay came out. And I hopped off my bike and shouted for him and his homie to come back to my face and say something!!

They just kept going, and all the other people walking or standing around gave me a look. So I guess I ended up being the "bad guy."

Ohhhhhh, memories!!!!!

Old 02-17-2021, 01:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Hi - i just saw on tv - the Garfield Park Conservatory is going to be open indoor - so it has not been opened past last March (i mean its been a year since we could walk in).

so im thinking that might be one of the best parks because it has that Conservatory in it.

i was watching Geoffrey Beh's tour of chicago and he mentions the parks and so i had a memory about it there. when you go down the boulevards of chicago, they all link one continuous way to get around the city, and i remember he passed by a bunch of really good parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago