Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM

4,663 posts, read 3,298,409 times

Advertisements

Toria T, thank you for your kind words. I truly appreciate it.

I certainly do the same in Milwaukee. But Chicago is always my second home. I never feel like "just a visitor" and I feel like I want to help take care of my city. You know when I was at The Book Cellar in Lincoln Square, I once picked up the trash that was blown into their area of tables and chairs in front of the bookstore. The employee said I did not need to do that. But I offered because I figured it would help from making an employee have to leave the store to do it. Besides, a business looks nicer with no garbage in front of it. It wasn't the businesses' fault as I'm sure the wind just blew it all there.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with trying to help others.

Exactly as you mention the kind people who make sandwiches and meals for people on Lower Wacker Drive. It never really hurts to at least TRY to be kind to others.

TRUE STORY: At a Barnes and Noble in Milwaukee (recently closed for good), I tried to make pleasant chat with a guy in the men's room. THAT did NOT go good!! I tried to apologize for upsetting him. I really tried to talk to him. He certainly had a right to be left alone by a stranger. However, that particular day the conversation did not work and he came towards me.

As embarrassing as this is, I put my dukes up and bounced in a boxer's stance and invited him to step closer and fight me then, if that's what he preferred.

He then took a quick right turn and walked away. But it was still embarrassing because the staff knew a different side of me, there were patrons watching this, and my kids were in the children's section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM

380 posts, read 126,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
devdaen, please forgive me.

I did not mean to imply that you do not give to others, or the community, in other ways.

Please accept my apology. I am certain you are a very good person.
Oh, I know, I didn't take it that way. I just wanted to put it out there that there are ways to help society without putting yourself in harm's way.
You're apparently trained in self-defense, so I can understand your willingness to get up close and personal.

I don't have the answer for the mentally ill who are on (or off) the streets and refuse to take medication ... but it's not a good situation for them or the rest of us.
Some of them are downright scary, and I know in Philadelphia, a lot of them carry knives.

Note: I'm not that good, but I try to be better every day. lol

Old 06-23-2020, 03:14 PM

devdaen, thank you. And you are right; there are many ways to show support for others. Thank you, for what you do.

I am a personable person. AND trained in counseling and self defense for 25 years. That definitely helps with approaching strangers

You keep on trying to be better each day! I think that is great advice for all of us. Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:19 PM

380 posts, read 126,470 times
You're welcome! Be safe out there.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:16 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,883,849 times
I never give cash to panhandlers. Food? Maybe.
I used to have some good connections with locals in our construction trades. If I really thought one of the "homeless. Will work for food." folks was legit I would let them use my cell phone to call the boss. The percentage of legits was about one in five.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 AM

Gunluvver2, Good morning. That was honorable of you to try to offer an employment opportunity! Good job!!

Sadly that only 20% of the people you offered it to, were willing to accept.

You did YOUR part. I salute you!! Thank you.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:19 AM

4,881 posts, read 6,961,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I never give cash to panhandlers. Food? Maybe.
I used to have some good connections with locals in our construction trades. If I really thought one of the "homeless. Will work for food." folks was legit I would let them use my cell phone to call the boss. The percentage of legits was about one in five.
I don't either. In Sioux Falls the homeless never go hungry if they have the simple gumption of getting out and walking to the several spots around the city that give free meals every day. There's free lunches at the schools as well. Same with clothing, it's available.

So, where does the money go? SOMETIMES it may be used for their family, but not very often. Booze and drugs is the answer.

There's a company in town that has daily jobs for any able bodied person. Businesses hire this company and they put together a daily work force and actually drive the workers to the job site. All workers are paid at the end of the day. Tons of opportunity to work here. Still, far too many simply don't want to work. Just plain lazy or strung out.

Instead of giving money to the panhandlers, the answer is to give money to the places providing the food, or simply volunteer your time to help with the meals at these establishment. Then you KNOW it's being utilized correctly.

This same scenario has to be available at some level in Chicago as well. If it's limited in scope it's time for the Chicago leaders to build more places to help the homeless to at least not be hungry. Just throwing money at these people does NO good.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,908,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm going to retire in a few years and the first thing im doing is leaving chicago. I may be in the suburbs or in a neighboring state. While i like some aspects of chicago and actually i live in one of the safest areas, with all i am seeing on tv i hope i make it the next couple years.

I dont like whats happening on the news with these autonomous zones which is another name for anarchists taking over some turf in the neighborhood, kinda like the gang banger do but now its amplified.

I hope i survive the next couple years, because whomever gets elected in 2020 as president and other govt positions, im wary of how life will be in the city. already it has a few political things that are hurting it, i dont like the mayor, she has shown she is not doing as good a job as i think she could, but she is another poltiician.

I hope safety is enough to keep us citizens here safe enough, but who knows.
Chicago continues to be safe in the vast majority of the city. It takes a mental toll, however, seeing the national headlines all the time. It's embarrassing and annoying always being asked by people from outside of Chicagoland, "is it really that bad in Chicago," lol.

But I wouldn't think you would have anything to worry about in terms of safety, especially if you live in a safe neighborhood.

For mental serenity, it may be good to move out if you just want a relaxing retirement though.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:35 AM

I find the community areas touching the borders of Lincolnwood, Skokie, Niles, and Park Ridge to be ideal (Edison Park, Norwood Park, Forest Glen). I can't even imagine those areas going under!

If I DO decide to move to Chicago (in about 7 years), THOSE are the areas I would look into

Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,908,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebey gif View Post
Yes, there are large swaths of the city that are perfectly safe, but the South and West Sides together are a good two-thirds of the city. Granted, there are plenty of nice areas in these parts too but let's not act like white people don't avoid them almost completely. If they didn't I would have seen more of you on the southbound red line (past 35th) when I lived there.
I do agree with you completely. I am white, and I honestly have not been to the south side, outside of Hyde Park, in all the years I've lived in Chicago.

I have only been to the true West Side a handful of times, although mainly just passing through on the green line to get to Oak Park. I have been to some medical meetings at health centers in Lawndale and Austin. I have been to parts of I guess "near west side" (Pilsen, Cook County, etc.) several times. I work in the Medical District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago