Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 12:13 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times

Advertisements

Good day all, I decided to park by the Skokie Swift station near Dempster around 4:00 p.m. yesterday. I had nothing but time, so to be a bit different, I took the Yellow Line to Red Line to Pink Line trains, out to 20th and Western. I walked to a favorite neighborhood, and dined at Ignotz Ristorante on 24th and Oakley. I highly recommend it. Great food and great people. The staff gave me a couple of glasses of wine on the house. They know I come to visit from Milwaukee. I showed some of the staff a couple of self defense moves before I left... By the time I got to Howard Street, the Yellow Line had stopped running! A man came out the front car of the Red Line. He had a blue cap and jacket and looked like he worked there. I tapped his shoulder to get his attention, and asked, "Sir, there are no more Yellow Trains running?" He forcefully smacked my arm away, got right in my face, and threatened me to try to touch him again...I said to him, "Sir, I thought you worked here and I just needed some help." He continued to stay in my face and use aggessive words. So, I just held my own... and funny, no one threw any blows and we both boarded the Purple Line. We talked it out. And when I got off at Dempster, I shook his hand and gave him a side hug! Maybe I was wrong to tap his shoulder. But also, never let someone try to intimidate you! I just used logic and kind words, as nd it worked... it was such a nice crisp night, I opted to walk the 5.5 miles west to my car! Last night was definitely a different experience for me in Chicago!!! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
You have to be careful when touching people.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:26 PM

Hiruko, you ARE right! Although the intent was not meant to be invasive, it was not received well. As it turns out, he worked security for a company, hence his jacket and cap, but it was not train security. Anyways, it was an honest mistake, if I may say so. Ironic although he had made threatening remarks about touching him again, by the end of the quick dialogue on the platform, and in the Purple Line car, we exchanged 2 hand shakes and a "brotherly" side hug. So it ended on a positive note! But as you say, Hiruko, it surely CAN be NOT well received. I appreciate your response. Enjoy your Sunday! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 01:37 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,400,617 times
Glad all went well! Surprised you walked 5.5miles kudos to you.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 PM

noid_1985, thank you. Well, I didnt get a big workout during the day so the walk was a good one! Plus, I burned off the lasagna and wine. Ive been up and down Dempster many times. Walking it gives it an up close and personal touch! Have a great one. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 02:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
MJ, now you know. Touching strangers is verboten, especially on public transportation.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM

damba, good day. I swore he worked for CTA, based on his uniform color and style, and I was trying to get his attention as he quickly passed me... I didnt find it to be any behavior out of the norm... Well, it was handled in a manner that resulted in a mature outcome. So Im glad to say we made a good human connection, in the end...Thank you, damba, as always for contributing. I hope you have a great rest of the day, Sir. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Touching strangers to get their attention when you are not in critical danger is currently not accepted good behavior. While I personally could care less, it takes into consideration those individuals who may not feel the same way. In a loud voice ‘excuse me sir’ does the trick

Glad it ended well though.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:56 PM

damba, duly noted, my friend. Certainly Ive heard of much worse interactions taking place (Red Line included). And you are right; I, too, am glad I was able to process things with the gentlemen, so as to have a positive result... You may have read in a different post where I chose to intervene a man speaking loudly and inappropriately to the woman he was with, in Lincoln Square? He, also, got into my face. And he, also, ended up shaking hands with me, and having a "bro-hug". I trained in martisl arts over 25 years, and to date never had to use my hands or feet to resolve a situation, that I prefer to settle with kind and logical words. Take care! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 05:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
You lead a charmed life, Master Jay. Your experience reminded me of how Edith Bunker dealt with two burglars in this "All in the Family" episode:

Edith Writes a Song
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago