Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,346,064 times

Advertisements

Robert9, ironic isn't it? Someone says they'll work for food, and you offer them a job application and they refuse!

They don't know the saying: TEACH a man to fish, and yadda yadda yadda, we all know. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:01 PM

5,082 posts, read 2,208,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, ironic isn't it? Someone says they'll work for food, and you offer them a job application and they refuse!

They don't know the saying: TEACH a man to fish, and yadda yadda yadda, we all know. ...
lol yep I know

Old 06-22-2020, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 1,490 times
Quote:
Then he advised me to give my breadstick to a bird
That's actually pretty funny.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,509,439 times
Quote:
Good morning,

While dining outside on 24th and Oakley yesterday, there was a gentleman who appeared to be homeless and dealing with mental health issues. He was moving his seating location along Oakley Avenue frequently and appeared to be talking to himself. He had no shoes on. And he was NOT asking anyone for money or food, as their were about 30 tables in the closed-off-for dining section of the street.

At one point he walked and sat down on one end away from everyone. I thought this might be the best time to approach him since he was not near anyone (and I understand EVERYONE deserves to have respect, and has a sense of pride).

I quietly asked him if I could share a breadstick with him since I had a fresh basket delivered to my table. THAT ended up being a mistake! He went on to say that he was homeless until the end of the year, and he is a Chicago man, and he needs some real food. Then he advised me to give my breadstick to a bird and to get out of his face before he really shows me what he thinks. He proceeded to say these things as I walked away. And then I just avoided him.

I told my children that trying to share with him came from a good place, but sometimes even good intentions can backfire, but we should not let these kinds of experiences stop us from doing what we think is right (en route to lunch, I gave a man at the stoplight a couple of coins and made some quick pleasant talk).

Curious if anyone else would just say "F-it" going forward, or would you keep trying??

Apparently someone called the police, because 2 officers drove up and spoke with him, but did not force him to move on. And it also seems that one of the restaurant staff from Bruna's DID give him a meal. So I guess he was happy, then.
Sorry that happened Master Jay. You are a great guy and you definitely were coming from a good place there!

Your experience shows the extreme difficulties presented in dealing with the mentally ill. It's very trendy right now to call for defunding the police. Proponents make it sound like it's a simple matter of just redirecting the Department budget into programs, getting some social workers on the street to deescalate everything, and it'll all be good.

But that does not always work as you experienced. You approached someone while not wearing a police uniform and with a very disarming and friendly attitude with an offer of peace. Yet it nearly went sideways anyway. That's a situation when the authority of police may have to come into play. It is a balance that has to be employed sometimes, as much as we might wish it didn't have to be.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:20 AM

380 posts, read 127,040 times
Quote:
devdaen, I have an older brother. And he is NOT about sharing. I love him and respect him and admire him. We are very night and day personalities. I took him on a couple trips with me to Chicago. Anytime I offered to help someone in need, he would be about a block ahead of me. He never waited for me. .... so you are NOT alone in your thinking. Thank you for sharing.
Just for the record: I give back to my community in sweat equity.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:02 AM

BRU67, thank you for the kind words!

My first experience working with adults with severe and persistent mental health illness goes back to 2003-2007 when I worked in Waukesha, Wisconsin in what is called "The Clubhouse Model." It sounds like a bar, I know! But it is an actual model of rehabilitation for adults with mental illness. I believe it started in North Carolina, and is now worldwide!

And I certainly have had my experiences of working with people with mental health diagnoses, in the jail, over the last 10 years.

It does have it's challenges. And I appreciate the police department for what they do, and their own struggles they face daily.

As far as trying to help the homeless I see, I am Catholic and not that I ever push religion on others, but there is a quote in the Bible where Jesus said, "That what you do for my brothers and sisters, you did for Me."

As a Tae Kwon Doist, we have an oath to "strive to build a more peaceful world."

And I think just in general, "it is nice to try to do good things for others." no matter what your background is.

BRU67, have a great day, Sir.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:03 AM

devdaen, please forgive me.

I did not mean to imply that you do not give to others, or the community, in other ways.

Please accept my apology. I am certain you are a very good person.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,986,453 times
Sadly, although you meant well, its best to steer clear of these kinds of people. You were well intentioned but these kinds of things often backfire. Perhaps you are a bit naive? I think most Chicago people are street smart and don't interact. Sometimes I have seen people give others a buck or so and then move on.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 AM

ToriaT, good morning. I sure HOPE I'm not behaving naïve. I'd be ashamed of myself.

I once was riding my bicycle near Lincoln Park. I saw a woman digging in the garbage cans. I offered to take her across the street to the Subway. I told the guy behind the counter to give her whatever she wanted to order.

Another time, I was walking from Chinatown to Armour Square, and I saw a man going through the garbage. I offered him my take-home after leaving Moon Palace. He accepted the food, and we exchanged some conversation.

And I also remember driving through Bridgeport. It appeared to be a homeless person sleeping on a bench. I drove to the Walgreens and brought him some donuts.

Personally, I have many positive experiences in Chicago. Maybe that's why I felt comfortable to at least approach the man on 24th ad Oakley, this past weekend.

I can see why if most of my experiences were like last weekend's, then I probably WOULD just keep walking by.

I just always try to give food versus money. I understand why people are taking drugs or booze, but I'd rather assist someone on need with their hunger pains versus drug pains.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,986,453 times
Master Jay, you are awfully nice to do what you did. So I will not discourage it. However you never know what can happen. Unfortunately most Chicagoans have became some what hardened to homelessness and they just walk on by. On the other hand, I've seen people make sandwiches or meals for them and deliver them to lower wacker drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago