Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post

Chicago is absolutely nothing compared to a city like L.A. or NYC in terms of crime.
Sorry bud, but basic crime stats prove you wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of internet blowhards who like to talk about crime who are best ignored (I've lived in Chicago since '92 without major incident other than property crime, although I've had more than a few friends get mugged), but it is fairly common knowledge that New York is now one of the safest big cities in the US and the crime rate there is significantly less than that of Chicago (and definitely less than that of Boston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
I am getting so tired of these threads. Grow some balls and stop being terrified of everything in life; it builds character.
Yeahhhh !!!! If someone has to ask if Chicago is safe, then they don't belong here. Chicago has some measure of danger for everyone who lives here. It's a city with risks and rewards.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No they aren't. That's just ridiculous. Some are shrinking while others are growing. Overall, the city is not becoming more dangerous.
Now to me that is a ridiculous statement.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Chicago has not gotten more dangerous in the last few years - and the homicide rate is half of what it was in the early 90's. Chicago has a lower homicide rate than Philly, Baltimore, DC, New Orleans, Detroit, Atlanta, Oakland, Pittsburgh,....and many more. There are a number of reasons why everyone seems to be freaking out:

- The homicide rate dropped steadily for 2 decades, and it has stayed basically flat for the last 2 years. There is reason to be concerned that the rate is no longer steadily dropping, but Chicago is safer than it has been anytime since the 70's.
- There have been a number of high profile crimes that have gotten a lot of media attention. It's not the number of crimes that bring the attention, but the fact that someone shot a video of it, the age of the victim, etc.
- Blago worked everyone into a frenzy about crime in Chicago to try to distract people from his problems (talking about sending the National Guard in). Politicians on a national level latched onto this since Obama is from Chicago.

Based on crime stats Chicago is not experiencing a massive growth in crime and it is not exceptionally more dangerous than other US cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
i've lived in Boston for 7 years and never once felt threatened. Also lived in NYC for 3 years and the same--never felt threatened.
I've been in Chicago for 17 years and never once felt threatened.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Chicago has not gotten more dangerous in the last few years - and the homicide rate is half of what it was in the early 90's. Chicago has a lower homicide rate than Philly, Baltimore, DC, New Orleans, Detroit, Atlanta, Oakland, Pittsburgh,....and many more. There are a number of reasons why everyone seems to be freaking out:
Yep, and the biggest reason some folks are freaking out is because our local newspapers and TV outlets have adopted a sensationalistic and hysterical approach to reporting crime. Both industries have shrinking revenues and are taking this tabloidish approach to help grab attention and ratings.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Anyone that feels scared living in this city is a goddamn wuss and needs to just move.

Chicago is absolutely nothing compared to a city like L.A. or NYC in terms of crime.

Anyone telling you not to make "prolonged eye contact with strangers" is a ****ing *****.

I am getting so tired of these threads. Grow some balls and stop being terrified of everything in life; it builds character.
Chicago is crime rate is higher than LA and definitely NYC. Where you live in the city does somewhat shape your perspective on Chicago's crime. I know many people from the southside believe Chicago is getting worse. Many people in Chicago rarely leave there community district, let alone whatever side they live on(northside, westside, southside etc.). A person living in Englewood will believe Chicago is getting worse. While someone in River North or Lincoln Park might view the city is safe and clean. Chicago's northside lakefront/northeast side(500,000 people) has 10 homicides or less per year. Meanwhile, shootings and killings are weekly on the southside.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Homicide rate has only "dropped" because medical technology has improved and is saving more people. Crime stats have "dropped" because there are 2230 less police on the street than there should be. Less Police equals longer times to get to calls which equals less people waiting for reports. Example, your car gets broken in to and minor things are stolen. It's still a burg to motor vehicle. You call and are told it'll be a 3 hour wait time for a report or you can drive into the District to have a report done. You say screw it, it's not worth it and never file the report. Well a crime took place, but it's never reported so it's like it never happened. Same with violent crime such as batteries, robberies and shots fired. When the "victim" is a gang banger, they either aren't going to call the Police or won't cooperate. With this it's hard to document the crime. So again the crime is taking place but no stat is generated for it. Plus it's no secret Daley will force Weis who will then force his staff to "reclassify" crimes. Nope wasn't a burglary or a stolen car, was a criminal trespass instead. The list goes on. Crime is up and happening, it's just not getting reported or documented or is reclassified. Or just because the stat numbers aren't rising doesn't mean that the violence isn't becoming worse. The media has always been if it bleeds it leads, this is nothing new. So it would appear that the media is reporting what truly is taking place on the streets.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Homicide rate has only "dropped" because medical technology has improved and is saving more people. Crime stats have "dropped" because there are 2230 less police on the street than there should be. Less Police equals longer times to get to calls which equals less people waiting for reports. Example, your car gets broken in to and minor things are stolen. It's still a burg to motor vehicle. You call and are told it'll be a 3 hour wait time for a report or you can drive into the District to have a report done. You say screw it, it's not worth it and never file the report. Well a crime took place, but it's never reported so it's like it never happened. Same with violent crime such as batteries, robberies and shots fired. When the "victim" is a gang banger, they either aren't going to call the Police or won't cooperate. With this it's hard to document the crime. So again the crime is taking place but no stat is generated for it. Plus it's no secret Daley will force Weis who will then force his staff to "reclassify" crimes. Nope wasn't a burglary or a stolen car, was a criminal trespass instead. The list goes on. Crime is up and happening, it's just not getting reported or documented or is reclassified. Or just because the stat numbers aren't rising doesn't mean that the violence isn't becoming worse. The media has always been if it bleeds it leads, this is nothing new. So it would appear that the media is reporting what truly is taking place on the streets.
I should have figured that this post would end with some wicked, conspiratorial plot hatched by Darth Daley and his evil allies.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Anyone who has studied the subject at all knows the crime numbers are massaged.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Anyone who has studied the subject at all knows the crime numbers are massaged.
And we know that no other cities massage statistics, only Chicago. The evil puppetmaster Daley alone wields these powers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago