Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 10:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,059 times

Advertisements

Those pics pwned English Breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 12:00 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
BigLake, and speaking OF...

Where is a great place to get breakfast, in the great city of Chicago????

Last time I had breakfast in the area was at Sander's, which is TECHNICALLY Skokie, on Touhy.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:29 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

Last time I had breakfast in the area was at Sander's, which is TECHNICALLY Skokie, on Touhy.
Lou Mitchell's or Eleven City Diner are both solid choices for breakfast. Cozy Corner is good. West Town Bakery is decent.
Best Brunch I ever had in the city was at Bistronomic. Very fancy!

Old 07-18-2023, 02:52 PM

quigboto, Thank You, brother.

Is Lou Mitchell's the place that advertises " the best coffee"?... and is this TRUE??

Normally I get the breakfasts at the hotels when I stay in Skokie or Niles. That's why I am NOT a breakfast expert.

Outside of a Dunkin Donuts here and there (lol), I remember Nellie's in Humboldt Park, back in 2017 and 2018.... And I went to Steak n Egger on Cermak and Morgan a few years ago....

Old 07-18-2023, 03:01 PM

43 posts, read 30,047 times
Late to the party but as someone who travelled the world and visited many cities in the Americas, APAC and Europe, in my subjective opinion Chicago has the most beautiful, clean and spacious CBDs.

Yes there are scary and ugly looking areas same as every other metropolis has but specific to the Downtown -- I have not seen better, to my own definition of beauty.

One bad would be public transport (I'm trying to put be in a tourist's shoes who won't be interested in driving but rather exploring the city on their feet) -- trains or L are scary for someone familiar with the quietness or convenience of train services available in EU or Asia or Australia.. Metra reminds me of the trains that were being phased out in Sydney, Australia back in 2003.

But, coming to the city by car, or even biking all the way from North Shore is great experience. Chicago traffic is nothing compared to Sydney (or Boston).

Old 07-18-2023, 05:04 PM

133 posts, read 68,266 times
I grew up in Chicago and my dad at that time worked west side of downtown for a manufacturer. He treated me to Lou Mitchell's once and I have to say I've NEVER had a meal on that level. Yes their coffee is other level but so are their scrambled egg (using whipping cream) their waffle's which are other worldly. If you haven't eaten there, you simply are NOT living.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:01 PM

425 posts, read 467,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb23 View Post
Late to the party but as someone who travelled the world and visited many cities in the Americas, APAC and Europe, in my subjective opinion Chicago has the most beautiful, clean and spacious CBDs.

Yes there are scary and ugly looking areas same as every other metropolis has but specific to the Downtown -- I have not seen better, to my own definition of beauty.

One bad would be public transport (I'm trying to put be in a tourist's shoes who won't be interested in driving but rather exploring the city on their feet) -- trains or L are scary for someone familiar with the quietness or convenience of train services available in EU or Asia or Australia.. Metra reminds me of the trains that were being phased out in Sydney, Australia back in 2003.

But, coming to the city by car, or even biking all the way from North Shore is great experience. Chicago traffic is nothing compared to Sydney (or Boston).
Yes, the L is noisy, and that's because some segments of the system run on track structures that are nearly a century old.

The system is pretty convenient though, at least for the most part. I live in the city proper (about 4 miles from the city center), and I take the L and the buses to get everywhere in Chicago.

I am a huge fan of the L, it's amazing to think that nearly all of the elevated sections in the system were already built out before the first world war. The Chicago L is an old system.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:21 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

MJ-- it's been so long, I'd hate to hazard a guess. You can never go wrong with Manny's though. I like several diners in Lakeview as well (would go frequently when I used to live up there).

Old 07-19-2023, 10:27 AM

BigLake, well then it is time for you to come on back, and try some of those places, and give us a nice review!

You'll be able to write a better review on a full stomach!..... OR, you'll be ready for a good nap!!!

Old 07-19-2023, 04:09 PM

885 posts, read 625,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
I grew up in Chicago and my dad at that time worked west side of downtown for a manufacturer. He treated me to Lou Mitchell's once and I have to say I've NEVER had a meal on that level. Yes their coffee is other level but so are their scrambled egg (using whipping cream) their waffle's which are other worldly. If you haven't eaten there, you simply are NOT living.
I haven't dined at Lou Mitchell's since before the pandemic.

Does the staff there still give patrons boxes of Milk Duds while you wait to be seated?

This is one of my favorite candies from childhood.

YUM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago