Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times

Advertisements

What I think is funny is that when called that there was no game, he hasn't commented since. Who's lying through their teeth?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What I think is funny is that when called that there was no game, he hasn't commented since. Who's lying through their teeth?
Yes, I see that one, too....

Old 04-18-2008, 03:54 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,351 times
This was the original post. Read it carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post

As promised, the results for tonight:

At 5:30 P.M., I counted 65 people plus a baseball game on Halsted between Harrison and Roosevelt.

At 8:30 P.M., I counted 43 people pass the Turrell sculpture at Roosevelt/Halsted within a minute and a half.

Anybody who says the east campus is "abandoned" or "dangerous" at those times is not telling the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I thought it was too ridiculous to reply to, but since you want it, here it goes:

1. The UIC Flames play baseball at Les Miller Field, which is south and west of Roosevelt Road, in the athletic field complex. Les Miller Field is not even VISIBLE from Roosevelt/Halsted, so how or why would I count or include people in the complex to begin with?

2. There are three semi-public baseball fields on the UIC east campus, plus Les Miller Field (where the UIC Flames DO play baseball) plus the women's softball field (where the women UIC Flames DO play softball), for a total of five ball fields. The field I was referring to is the one that is at the north west corner of Roosevelt and Halsted, immediately south of SES, which, as I said, is NOT the field where the UIC Flames play baseball nor is the place where the women UIC Flames play softball.

3. The university rents the semi-public fields out, and they are VERY popular with neighborhood teams. They are also used for UIC's intramural programs. The kiddie soccer leagues use them for soccer in the summer (talk about a slice of suburbia).

4. The UIC Flames website only announces or talks about UIC Flames games. They do not announce or talk about non-UIC Flames games.

Please read what I said, and follow the logic, you will see that claiming no game was taking place because the UIC Flames were not playing on a field they never play on anyway is a joke. As I said, it is evidence of a limited knowledge of the geography of the UIC campus as it is today.

The UIC Flames USED to, a long, long time ago, play on the field at Roosevelt/Halsted, as did the UICC Chikas (what the UIC teams were called before they were called the Flames). That might explain Avenger's confusion, but then again, it might not.

Point, match, set.

Last edited by NearWestSider; 04-18-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 04:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Point, set, match?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Point, set, match?
Damn, I thought I edited that.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey View Post
I live in the UIC dorms right nex to uv. do not even think about moving there if you are planning on driving a lot. halsted bottlenecks right at roosevelt all the way down to about 18th, so it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to drive those few blocks.

anyone who thinks there is gang activity in this neighborhood has clearly never been there. i grew up in naperville, and this area is disturbingly similar. the place borders on uic's campus and the already-gentrified east section of pilsen, which is soon to become another naperville in the city anyway. the only crime you will have to deal with is drunk uic kids like me yelling at each other while stumbling down halsted at 2 am. plus, there are about 7 police cars at the maxwell & halsted coffee shop at any given time of the day or night.

the halsted st metra is a nice thingto have - way more reliable than the cta. however, the blue line is only a 5-minute bus ride away, and the halsted bus has been fairly regular lately.

I live in the highrise lofts of Univ Village---anyone who thinks there isn't crime present is incorrect. Just yesterday (8/20/08) we were watching from our balcony as about 30 Chicago Policemen had their guns drawn on someone that was hiding in the bushes. Two years ago a UIC student was bludgened to death with his own bike lock right in front of our building, and last year a young woman was kidnapped by her ex-boyfriend from the building, driven to a remote location and killed. The ex-boyfriend had gotten into our building via the garage door and walked up the back stairwells. The University Village subdivision is nice in itself, but we surround crime areas-and that is a fact. Many times we have been out on the balcony eating dinner and watch homeless people push shopping carts through our subdivision.

To whomever is saying it is 100% safe, you are wrong.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 114,452 times
I don't live in UV, but last summer/fall I walked a dog down there pretty regularly. I was surprised at how nice it was! They have really built up down there, and my client had a beautiful loft. I was a little uncomfortable outside of the village, but I think that had less to do with crime and more to do with not being familiar with my surroundings. Still, there is a very distinct change from the developed parts of that neighborhood and the....not developed parts. I think I'd feel uncomfortable walking my dog outside of the immediate area at night, but it wasn't so bad.

It's probably even nicer now. I'll admit I haven't been down there in a while.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniche View Post
I live in the highrise lofts of Univ Village---anyone who thinks there isn't crime present is incorrect. Just yesterday (8/20/08) we were watching from our balcony as about 30 Chicago Policemen had their guns drawn on someone that was hiding in the bushes. Two years ago a UIC student was bludgened to death with his own bike lock right in front of our building, and last year a young woman was kidnapped by her ex-boyfriend from the building, driven to a remote location and killed. The ex-boyfriend had gotten into our building via the garage door and walked up the back stairwells. The University Village subdivision is nice in itself, but we surround crime areas-and that is a fact. Many times we have been out on the balcony eating dinner and watch homeless people push shopping carts through our subdivision.

To whomever is saying it is 100% safe, you are wrong.
NOBODY said or is saying it is 100% safe. Stop making stuff up.

FYI, the murder of Tombol Malik occured during a drunken street fight between Malik (a UIC student), a student from College of Du Page, and a pre-med student from Illinois Weslyan in Lisle. And while the incident was indeed unfortunate, it hardly fits the profile of armed robbery gone bad or gang turf shootout that most people associate with inner city crime.

The kidnapping and murder of that yourg woman by her ex-boyfriend stalker is another sad incident, but once again, this is not the kind of crime that most people fear.

As far as the homeless people pushing shopping carts around your fair little urban retreat, most people in the city would be ecstatic if that were the only thing they had to deal with. Maybe you need to learn to live and let live, because there is no law against pushing a shopping cart that I am aware of.

If you take the time to attend one of our neighborhood CAPS meetings, you will find out that the University Village precinct has had one of the lowest calls for service in the city. That means, among other things, that University Village is one of the least active places, crimewise. Which sounds great (especially on the internet), but means far less in real life because "least active" is NOT the same as "inactive".

The truth is, anything can happen on any given night, because it only takes one jerk getting out on parole to unleash a crime wave, and our jails are overflowing with them.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
my girlfriend use to live right over there next to reggios off of halsted for about a year and I go to that area once or twice a week to visit friends and get something to eat (joyees). The area is very nice I really dont know how anybody can say otherwise. I would agree that the surrounding areas do get worse but they are getting better and there really not that bad. The area is always pretty busy even at night, there are a couple pretty decent resturants that are open late and Morgans bar is usually busy as well. Going down Halsted towards Greek town is not bad either. Personally I would consider this one of the safer places to live in the city, but I also do live in a pretty not safe part. I would definetly consider moving there if there was an L near by that I could walk to daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago