Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times

Advertisements

Parking is bad...

Crime? Crime is everywhere.....stop being so scared and just deal with it....

jeez.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM

16 posts, read 80,216 times
I live in the UIC dorms right nex to uv. do not even think about moving there if you are planning on driving a lot. halsted bottlenecks right at roosevelt all the way down to about 18th, so it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to drive those few blocks.

anyone who thinks there is gang activity in this neighborhood has clearly never been there. i grew up in naperville, and this area is disturbingly similar. the place borders on uic's campus and the already-gentrified east section of pilsen, which is soon to become another naperville in the city anyway. the only crime you will have to deal with is drunk uic kids like me yelling at each other while stumbling down halsted at 2 am. plus, there are about 7 police cars at the maxwell & halsted coffee shop at any given time of the day or night.

the halsted st metra is a nice thingto have - way more reliable than the cta. however, the blue line is only a 5-minute bus ride away, and the halsted bus has been fairly regular lately.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey View Post
I live in the UIC dorms right nex to uv. do not even think about moving there if you are planning on driving a lot. halsted bottlenecks right at roosevelt all the way down to about 18th, so it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to drive those few blocks.

anyone who thinks there is gang activity in this neighborhood has clearly never been there. i grew up in naperville, and this area is disturbingly similar. the place borders on uic's campus and the already-gentrified east section of pilsen, which is soon to become another naperville in the city anyway. the only crime you will have to deal with is drunk uic kids like me yelling at each other while stumbling down halsted at 2 am. plus, there are about 7 police cars at the maxwell & halsted coffee shop at any given time of the day or night.

the halsted st metra is a nice thingto have - way more reliable than the cta. however, the blue line is only a 5-minute bus ride away, and the halsted bus has been fairly regular lately.
There is gang activity very close to where you live and I have been around there thousands of times. Do you ever go very far west or south of where you live?
I am not saying that University Village is filled with crime, but there are very shady areas really close to it. I would keep my head up around there more than other areas.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
Parking is bad...

Crime? Crime is everywhere.....stop being so scared and just deal with it....

jeez.......
I just said that there are some dangerous gang-infested areas nearby, and this is a potential drawback to living there. I personally wouldn't let it stop ME from living there, but not everyone feels the same way about it. I stand by my statement.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:21 AM

145 posts, read 643,802 times
Can you guys give more concrete areas/intersections near University Village that should be avoided? Figure that UV is basically 14th and Halstead so what is nearby that should be avoided?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 12,485 times
Default University Village Rocks...

As a town homeowner in University Village, I have the following to say:

In response to desibear:
I agree with so much of what you say and would like to tell you what my experience has been. My husband and I bought a townhouse in 2001 (closed 2002) and have loved this home more than we ever imagined. When we bought this place, the neighborhood consisted of deserted buildings and it had a very scary vibe to be honest (2001). That is exactly why after learning about their plan, I knew the development would be a huge success and that we should buy a place! We only began enjoying the restaurants and retail in about 2004 or 2005 (because that is when they started to go in). We mostly lived through construction and we still very much have enjoyed ourselves. Mostly because we have a three story town home that is gorgeous with an unbelievable view of downtown Chicago (looking right at Sears Tower), we can see the summer (Navy Pier Wednesday, Saturday and 4th of July) fireworks from our rooftop, and we are a ten minute drive from work and all of what downtown Chicago offers. With regard to the highway and the trains, we personally never hear either, however we are tucked into the development on Village Court. Initially, we considered buying a loft but realized they were too close to the trains and then a few years later, we seriously considered buying a single family home but thought they were too close to the highway. Location is important anywhere, but especially in UV. I do not want to pay over 1mm for a house or over $500,00 for a loft and hear the expressway and / or train noise. You are safe in the town homes that are tucked inside the development, rest assured!

With regard to not being much cheaper than LP (Lincoln Park?) or LV (not sure). Can you really buy a three-story town home in Lincoln Park for less than $550,000? Of course they range in price, but these places are newer, and as you acknowledge have parking, and UV is a 10 minute commute versus an hour to downtown depending on your mode of transportation. I used to live on St. James and Clark and it took me an hour at best to get to work (to the loop via bus). If it’s raining or snowing, add a ½ hour!

I think that you should be sold on University Village; it is a great place to live. You simply need to evaluate your location within UV very carefully. I will be honest as a UV homeowner and tell you that I wouldn’t live on Halsted, next to the train, or next to the expressway. The added restaurants and retail have been such an incredible addition to our development.

To address Lookout Kid:
I would love to see what reports you have about the crime rate and gang issues in the UV area; we have lived there since 2002 and have never heard of any such problems. In fact, my husband travels on business quite often I have always felt very safe. We have never felt anything but safe in this location. We know many of our neighbors and there are a lot of children in the development and have never heard anything negative from those neighbors.

To address Sloopy:
One of your concerns is the lack of a nearby train station. Where are you going? There is a train right on 16th & Halsted that goes to Union Station. There is the Halsted bus that will take you close to the loop and / or connect you with other buses that will go elsewhere in the city. The blue line is just a few blocks away (between Harrison & Van Buren on Halsted). There are actually playgrounds (2-3) within UV; have you walked around? Having said that, I am curious why green space doesn’t equal a playground? I think having green space + a parent + a child + a baseball/football, etc. = a playground. There is a ton of green space surrounding UV. You are able to use the UIC field and courts as well. Additionally, there is a YMCA just a block away.

To address Jiraiya:
Roosevelt Square is okay if you want to live in a high-risk area. It is quite a bit further west than UV and it is not a safe area in my opinion. They are still working on tearing down projects in that area. UV is a much more stable and safe area. Additionally, they are building developments “here and there”. UV built over 900 homes consisting of condos, town homes, lofts and single family homes with approximately 50 retail / restaurant locations on Halsted & Maxwell Streets; a huge difference from Roosevelt Square. Additionally, University Commons is a development directly west of UV beginning on 14th Place going south and they must have 500 or so condos sold. That is a four or five building development (old warehouses that were converted into condos) development.

Halsted is conjested during rush hour, but what street in Chicago isn't during rush hour? There are many side streets in the area; I personally never drive down Halsted and avoid traffic successfully. I can get from UV to Canal & Monroe within 10 minutes in the morning.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by sumeas; 03-18-2008 at 02:41 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM

145 posts, read 643,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeas View Post
As a town homeowner in University Village, I have the following to say:

In response to desibear:
I think that you should be sold on University Village; it is a great place to live. You simply need to evaluate your location within UV very carefully. I will be honest as a UV homeowner and tell you that I wouldn’t live on Halsted, next to the train, or next to the expressway. The added restaurants and retail have been such an incredible addition to our development.
Sumeas, many thanks for providing an insider perspective. I think you and I are on the same page. The quote that I have copied from your response above basically summarizes our predicament at UV. Unfortunately, our intended townhome would have been right next to Union street and the Dan Ryan expressway and only one townhome away from being next to the Metra line, so it was kind of worst of both worlds. But it had so many positives (the modern layout, the view, the playground right in front, etc. etc.) that we almost went ahead with it. We have now pulled out for the reasons of noise and just wanting more space. In the end, the usable space, once you subtracted the 400 sq. ft garage away, would have been about 1900 sq. ft, which just does not leave extra room for a young family that is likely to grow. I take heart in knowing that if we see something we like on the resale market west of Halstead and away from the trains that UV could still be in our future. Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
pros:

LOTS of open space, more than any Chicago neighborhood away from the lake.
Has a definite suburban vibe, right down to the children playing soccer at the UIC athletic fields in the summer.
Spectacular views of downtown everywhere.
Designed according New Urbanist and current security principles, making it both walkable and safe.
The large number of students, the proximity to the university, and obvious borders on four sides give it a very strong sense of place.
UIC Soccer (won the Horizon league and finished ranked 9th nationally last season).
UIC Baseball (6 consecutive Horizon League titles and counting).
You can walk to Comiskey Park. A bit of a hike, yes, but nonetheless doable. Take the bus if you prefer.
Ditto for Soldier Field.
You can walk to the Shamrock Shuffle, Distance Classic, and Chicago Marathon starting lines. Or take your bike.
18 minute bike commute to River North. Even less to the loop.
The UIC rec center is an outstanding health club, and they offer community memberships. If you are a UIC, UIUC, or UIS alum, you even get a discount.
The new Maxwell Street is a great beer garden in summer.
The New Maxwell Street market will be moving to DesPlaines this spring, so the bargains of a lifetime at your doorstep.
Kohan's.
Fresh tortillas and top-notch tacos, carnitas, and tortas on 18th Street just to the south.
The best gorditas in the universe at St. Francis (Roosevelt & Newberry) on Sundays. No exaggeration.
Taylor Street, Greektown, etc. etc.
The gallery openings in Pilsen.
The UIC vs. Chicago Fire charity game at Flames Field! Hope they keep doing it!

cons:

Hipsters, pinkies, or tatooed wackos beware! The people are normal here! You'll HATE it, and furthermore your friends will hate YOU for aiding and abetting gentrification!!!
With the local bars being sports bars, and the focal point of the neighborhood being athletic fields, may be a tad too jockish for some.
I wish that power generating station in Pilsen would close.

bottom line:

UV is joined at the hip to its university like nowhere else in Chicago, along with all that implies. It is not that Hyde Park, DePaul, and Loyola don't have similar aspects - they do. It is strictly a function of the fact that UIC physically dominates the neighborhood to a greater degree than any of the others.

Anyone who says UV is "like" anywhere else does not really know this neighborhood at all. Where else in Chicago can you be out walking your dog and just stumble upon an NCAA baseball game? Or into David Beckham and Landon Donovan signing autographs from their practice at Flames Field before their game against the Fire? Where else can you just hoof it over to the longest-running flea market in Chicago on Sundays? Nowhere else - in the city OR the suburbs.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There is gang activity very close to where you live and I have been around there thousands of times. Do you ever go very far west or south of where you live?
I am not saying that University Village is filled with crime, but there are very shady areas really close to it. I would keep my head up around there more than other areas.
I totally agree. There is bad stuff west of Racine and it changes IMMEDIATELY and it leaks over to UV regularly. I have come out of St Ignatius at night (say, after 8 when it's dark, or later...) and do not drive. The $#&!*&#** number 12 CTA bus never came, NEVER, there was not ONE cab and I got mad and walked to the State Street Red Line. Numerous times. I did the "I'm on my cell phone talking" routine while walking.....the police cars were there...empty and I felt quite certain I wouldn't have a purse or backpack left if I weren't heads up....empty police cars by coffee shops aside......walking around at night dicey. Doable, but....I am not sure I would choose the area unless it were very cost effective or I went to/worked at UIC....

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I totally agree. There is bad stuff west of Racine and it changes IMMEDIATELY and it leaks over to UV regularly. I have come out of St Ignatius at night (say, after 8 when it's dark, or later...) and do not drive. The $#&!*&#** number 12 CTA bus never came, NEVER, there was not ONE cab and I got mad and walked to the State Street Red Line. Numerous times. I did the "I'm on my cell phone talking" routine while walking.....the police cars were there...empty and I felt quite certain I wouldn't have a purse or backpack left if I weren't heads up....empty police cars by coffee shops aside......walking around at night dicey. Doable, but....I am not sure I would choose the area unless it were very cost effective or I went to/worked at UIC....
I suspect this is a troll for two reasons:

1. The Blue Line stop at UIC/Halsted stop is 5 blocks from Ignatius. I am having A LOT of trouble believing that anyone would choose to walk 1.5 miles down Roosevelt to the Red Line instead.

2. The UIC campus starts at Roosevelt and Morgan, a whopping ONE BLOCK from where this person allegedly began her walk, and you'd think this person might have noticed that fact. The first building is the P.E. building, so I am wondering who intimidated her. Was it be the volleyball team, or the cheerleaders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago