Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
A long time ago. I do not remember exactually. I think about 20 years ago. Its hard to find info on stuff like that now. I remember hearing and reading about it when I was much younger. I think she was a nursing student.
Awful, terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
Awful, terrible.
Yes it was.

It was very unsafe to go to UIC until the early 2000's and to a degree it is still a little unsafe. Even while I was there, a music student got shot in the head on the train platform so some crackhead could steal his $200 guitar.If I recall correctly it was at the Racine stop.

The campus is much safer than it was 10 years ago, but it still attracts all kinds of scumbags.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM

I definitely think night classes are a bad idea, particularly for a woman (city) at either UIC or a few other urban campuses which are on the deserted side. Sometimes it can't be helped, but you have to take precautions.

A sister of a friend of mine was married to a med resident and he was mugged on the train platform. He was "treated" but his liver was permanently damaged and he died of mugging related problems about 8 years later.....got sick and died because his system was still compromised. Not on the statistics.....

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I definitely think night classes are a bad idea, particularly for a woman (city) at either UIC or a few other urban campuses which are on the deserted side. Sometimes it can't be helped, but you have to take precautions.

A sister of a friend of mine was married to a med resident and he was mugged on the train platform. He was "treated" but his liver was permanently damaged and he died of mugging related problems about 8 years later.....got sick and died because his system was still compromised. Not on the statistics.....
Sorry to hear that.

Yes, night classes at any college in Chicago carry more of a risk for sure. Most of the time these things occur it is at night or very early in the morning when it is dark.

I cannot stress enough that women need to be more aware of their surroundings and not go places alone in the wee hours or when drinking or on drugs AT ANY TIME. Even in the "good" areas like Lincoln Park,Lake View,North Center, etc. there are tons of perps waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. Walk a different route home every time if possible. Even I do.

...and for gods sake dont walk around with the cell phone attached to your ear yapping away and not paying attention to your surroundings! This goes for men too.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.

Yes, night classes at any college in Chicago carry more of a risk for sure. Most of the time these things occur it is at night or very early in the morning when it is dark.

I cannot stress enough that women need to be more aware of their surroundings and not go places alone in the wee hours or when drinking or on drugs AT ANY TIME. Even in the "good" areas like Lincoln Park,Lake View,North Center, etc. there are tons of perps waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. Walk a different route home every time if possible. Even I do.

...and for gods sake dont walk around with the cell phone attached to your ear yapping away and not paying attention to your surroundings! This goes for men too.
You are totally right. At one of my daught's schools, they brought in this man to lecture about safety and how to be street/city/safety (or suburban mall parking lot for that matter) "smart." This was I think in 7th grade. It was extremely valuable, not scare tactics, but RECOGNITION tactics and avoidance mostly. I believe the young people's program was called "Kidpower". It also taught them how to recognize predatory people, abusers, bullies. It was not juvenile or hokey in the least.

I believe there is also a grown woman's seminar by this organization. I think it's a weekend thing in Rogers Park.

It's paramount to educate young women. The whole "I'm safe" thing or "I know what I'm doing" thing is fine......if you actually do.

And I totally agree re don't walk around/been drinking. I have seen SO Many girls walking out of the bars around Division & State....alone......with predators on their tail. I tried to alert a policeman to a situaiton once and he just shrugged, "those girls get what they deserve."

Remember that one girl, think this was in the '90's who was drinking on Division Street and these guys walked around with her (people saw them) and then had her go to an ATM which was then next to the Village Theater on Clark, took her money out, then killed her?

I have one more comment.....I have heard some people say they think it's a safety precaution to have the cell phone to the ear if you're on foot.....implying that you would immediately ask for help because you're on the phone. I'm not sure what I think here. Maybe if you're in a situation on the street where you are alone, it would be safer to be "talking" on the phone???? What do you think?

Last edited by Sailaway50; 04-16-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
...I have one more comment.....I have heard some people say they think it's a safety precaution to have the cell phone to the ear if you're on foot.....implying that you would immediately ask for help because you're on the phone. I'm not sure what I think here. Maybe if you're in a situation on the street where you are alone, it would be safer to be "talking" on the phone???? What do you think?
Not at all. By the time (if you had time) to tell the person you are talking to
where you are at and what is happening (and for them to call the police and get to you) you have already been robbed,beaten,raped or, killed. And in some cases all.

Most of the time (with very few exceptions) I only talk on the phone in public when I can see on both sides of myself, in front of myself, and I am stationary. I always make sure I talk somewhere where nobody can come up from behind on me.

It should be common sense to people...but we know how people are...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
As promised, the results for tonight:

At 5:30 P.M., I counted 65 people plus a baseball game on Halsted between Harrison and Roosevelt.

At 8:30 P.M., I counted 43 people pass the Turrell sculpture at Roosevelt/Halsted within a minute and a half.

Anybody who says the east campus is "abandoned" or "dangerous" at those times is not telling the truth.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Not at all. By the time (if you had time) to tell the person you are talking to
where you are at and what is happening (and for them to call the police and get to you) you have already been robbed,beaten,raped or, killed. And in some cases all.

Most of the time (with very few exceptions) I only talk on the phone in public when I can see on both sides of myself, in front of myself, and I am stationary. I always make sure I talk somewhere where nobody can come up from behind on me.

It should be common sense to people...but we know how people are...
I am glad to get your input on this. I do agree it'd be "too late." Ducking into an establishment or bldg w/doorman and calling a cab a much better option.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Awful, terrible.
And a complete fabrication.

The college of nursing is at Damen/Polk, far away from the east campus, and there were never any walkways over there.

Not that the truth matters when you are busy badmouthing neighborhoods you don't know anything about, lying about your experiences there, and making things up when you run out of lies........

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
And a complete fabrication.

The college of nursing is at Damen/Polk, far away from the east campus, and there were never any walkways over there. Great story, though....
It is not a fabrication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago