Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
As promised, the results for tonight:

At 5:30 P.M., I counted 65 people plus a baseball game on Halsted between Harrison and Roosevelt.

At 8:30 P.M., I counted 43 people pass the Turrell sculpture at Roosevelt/Halsted within a minute and a half.

Anybody who says the east campus is "abandoned" or "dangerous" at those times is not telling the truth.
What baseball game? The Flames are not scheduled to play today. If there was a game of any kind that might account for more people being in the area as usual also. Hmmm...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ickfacts08.pdf

Wow, you sure can count fast...you counted 43 people in 90 seconds? What is this the matrix? Come on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What baseball game? The Flames are not scheduled to play today. If there was a game of any kind that might account for more people being in the area as usual also. Hmmm...

This NearWestSider nitpicking and accusations of fabricating are off the point, anyway and I think a personal issue of some sort.

There is no doubt that the UV neighborhood at night requires vigilance at certain times and places, particularly for a woman alone. Period. The issues raised re education and personal protection, particularly for women in the city, are completely reasonable and viable,

Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:

I said the ball field at ROOSEVELT/HALSTED. The Flames play at Les Miller Field (further evidence of your ignorance of all things UIC )

FYI, the crowd was at the soccer game at Maxwell/Morgan, so no, I wasn't counting soccer fans, either.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I said the ball field at ROOSEVELT/HALSTED. The Flames play at Les Miller Field (further evidence of your ignorance of all things UIC )

FYI, the crowd was at the soccer game at Maxwell/Morgan, so no, I wasn't counting soccer fans, either.
LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE. YOU SAID THERE WAS A BASEBALL GAME. ACCORDING TO THEIR SCHEDULE THEY DID NOT PLAY AT HOME TONIGHT.

UICFlames.com - University of Illinois Chicago Official Athletic Site
[mod cut]

Quote:

No, you did not.

Quote:
As promised, the results for tonight:

At 5:30 P.M., I counted 65 people plus a baseball game on Halsted between Harrison and Roosevelt.

At 8:30 P.M., I counted 43 people pass the Turrell sculpture at Roosevelt/Halsted within a minute and a half.

Anybody who says the east campus is "abandoned" or "dangerous" at those times is not telling the truth.

Last edited by aragx6; 04-17-2008 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: no reason to post it that many times

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
And a complete fabrication.

The college of nursing is at Damen/Polk, far away from the east campus, and there were never any walkways over there.

Not that the truth matters when you are busy badmouthing neighborhoods you don't know anything about, lying about your experiences there, and making things up when you run out of lies........
How about I take you down to Madison and Pulaski and see how you fair by yourself? You would not last 5 minutes.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 PM

85 posts, read 398,675 times
There are alot of comments about West Loop/UIC area being unsafe around the el lines. I live in Andersonville right now, moved from West Loop area a few years ago. Andersonville is supposed to be a good neighborhood...it still has it's fair share of crime, can't keep your eyes shut. I wouldn't walk home from ANY area in the city from the EL past 9pm. Take a cab, and ask the cabbie to wait until you open your front door. A few years back, a string of rapes took place in Lincoln Park/Addison stop area. Model community or not, crime happens anywhere. Doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in, always look out for yourself.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
How about I take you down to Madison and Pulaski and see how you fair by yourself? You would not last 5 minutes.
And he's Bad....Bad....Leroy Brown............

Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbs78 View Post
There are alot of comments about West Loop/UIC area being unsafe around the el lines. I live in Andersonville right now, moved from West Loop area a few years ago. Andersonville is supposed to be a good neighborhood...it still has it's fair share of crime, can't keep your eyes shut. I wouldn't walk home from ANY area in the city from the EL past 9pm. Take a cab, and ask the cabbie to wait until you open your front door. A few years back, a string of rapes took place in Lincoln Park/Addison stop area. Model community or not, crime happens anywhere. Doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in, always look out for yourself.
You don't have to tell me. I used to have a three flat by De Paul in Lincoln Park. You know, that urban paradise, where everybody is white, nothing ever happens, and everyone is safe all the time? I had tenants get broken into twice over the period of ten years.

It turns out that property crime and burglary are a big problem in Lincoln Park, for the simple reason that most of the residents are DINKS (double income, no kids). That translates into fewer people around the neighborhood in the daytime, which makes easier pickings for addicts and scumbags. Thieves are not stupid.

The point here is not LP vs UV. The point is people who don't live in a given area and haven't been there for a long time (if ever at all), making boneheaded alarmist comments.

Sailaway, instead of saying "I was in unfamiliar surroundings and was afraid", says the neighborhood is unsafe.

Avengerfire, instead of saying "it USED to be a really tough neighborhood", says it IS "crime-ridden" and "gang-infested".

One is true, the other is false, and if they would stick to the true, there would be no argument.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 80,216 times
Quote:
First of all, the campus is not deserted at 8:00 P.M. That is complete horse manure, and anybody who says it is abandoned is lying through their teeth. We are not talking at 2:00 A.M. club hopping, she says she was at a function at Ignatius.

Second, there are 3500 student residents in the commons, right at Harrison/Halsted. That is not my definition of abandoned.

Third, students walk around that neighborhood all time of day and night. Because I actually live around there, and I see them all the time, including at 4:30 A.M., when I am running my dog. I would not recommend it, but I know of no neighborhood in Chicago that a female should be walking around alone at 4:00 A.M..

Fourth, my daughter lives in TBH. Goes out on weekends on the Blue Line, does not live in fear, and has had no problems in three years of living on campus. Is she lucky or stupid? I really don't think so.

The bottom line is I don't know what you are talking about, and I'm not convinced you do, either.

So rather than argue about it, why don't you head down to Roosevelt/Halted tonight at 8:00-8:30 tonight, come back and tell us how deserted it is? You say you live right there, so it should be easy, right? Come back and we'll talk about it. I'll take my dog down there (after the soccer game, whenever it ends) and we'll compare notes. Fair enough?

Trust me, you'll be fine. Just make sure you leave your DePaul hoodie at home.
uh, i go to uic and live in mrh, right next to your daughter's building. before that, i lived in the commons for 2 years, and i can pretty much conclusively state that uic's campus is, in fact, entirely deserted after 5 pm. all the students who live in the commons are inside at night, except for maybe a couple smokers out by the front door. it is very easy to walk across the entire campus at night and see exactly zero people, especially when it's cold out, as it is for the majority of the academic year in chicago. there are usually people outside around roosevelt and halsted, especially now that it's warm out.

there have been numerous sexual assaults on uic property and around taylor street in the last month or so. in fact, i still have a couple of the crime alerts from the chancellor saved in my email inbox. i can forward them to you if you like.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey View Post
uh, i go to uic and live in mrh, right next to your daughter's building. before that, i lived in the commons for 2 years, and i can pretty much conclusively state that uic's campus is, in fact, entirely deserted after 5 pm. all the students who live in the commons are inside at night, except for maybe a couple smokers out by the front door. it is very easy to walk across the entire campus at night and see exactly zero people, especially when it's cold out, as it is for the majority of the academic year in chicago. there are usually people outside around roosevelt and halsted, especially now that it's warm out.

there have been numerous sexual assaults on uic property and around taylor street in the last month or so. in fact, i still have a couple of the crime alerts from the chancellor saved in my email inbox. i can forward them to you if you like.
Thank you for this post. I do now recall about those assaults around Taylor Street and the "girls" at Ig were talking more about taing the bus as a "group", etc......

Hopefully the style of writing of NearWestSider is not indicative of neighborhood residents......I thought "lying through their teeth" particularly colorful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago