Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,824 times

Advertisements

thanx everyone. yea i noticed parking was pretty tight but i dont mind parking a few blocks away.
as long as i dont have to move it al the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You won't have a problem. I've known many people who have parked with out-of-state plates for months without tickets. It takes them a while to catch on, but they will eventually so you're better off to just register your car within the first few weeks of arriving.
I've said it before, and I will say it again: I Know people who lived in this city for years, in 383 /LV2 Zoned parking, with out-of-state plates and have not gotten a ticket for being a resident in this state. That being said, OP, you have three options:

1) Change your plates to IL, get the city sticker and the zone sticker. This way you can park anywhere in your Edgewater neighborhood. Keep in mind that the Zones are different for different parts of the city, so if you wanna go to Lincoln Park, you cannot park in a 143 zone with a Edgewater zone sticker.

2) Keep your out of state plates and get the city and zone sticker. I see tons of cars with out of state plates (MI, WI, KY, FL, and CA on my street alone!) with out-of-state plates and current Chicago City and Zone stickers (my street is zoned). It's not impossible to do. If you are keeping your car registered in your parents name, it's not a big deal...Chicago is a big city with lots of tourists, so you will not stick out like a sore thumb with California plates. When I lived in Kansas City, that was not quite the case, LOL.

3) Don't bother with the city sticker/zone and plates and park on the free streets. As someone mentioned, it is a pain to do this, plus you have to worry about street cleanings during the spring/summer/fall and other issues about it.

I don't really get how they could "catch on" that you live here now but have out-of-state tags. The people that walk around and check the zone stickers see 1,000's of cars a day, so I doubt they can remember "Black Nissan with Minnesota tags". And, if a cop were to run your plates, they would come back to a California Address, so no biggie there.

Good luck...I would personally choose one of the first two options, since it is a big hassle to park on "no zoned" streets, and since everyone knows where they all, they all try to park there.

Good Luck and Welcome to Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago