Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM

28 posts, read 38,155 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am going to Chicago this week to see my bf. I am going for the week to look for jobs and to see if I want to move there. I am driving and was wondering if anyone knew any places that I can park for the week for free? Or if any of you have guest parking and would like to let me use it this Monday probably through Sunday. He just moved in today, so he does not even have a Chicago parking permit yet. He is living on West Buena Ave. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 AM

76 posts, read 279,932 times
Hmm after 9pm or so you can park it at a meter on Montrose for free, but you'd have to move it during the day (check the hours on the meter/meter machine). During the day you could just park it at Montrose beach, it has a huge parking lot and as long as you don't leave it there past hours, I think it officially closes at 10/11pm, then you'd be ok. Out of state plates or out of town registration doesn't require a city sticker.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBay View Post
Hmm after 9pm or so you can park it at a meter on Montrose for free, but you'd have to move it during the day (check the hours on the meter/meter machine). During the day you could just park it at Montrose beach, it has a huge parking lot and as long as you don't leave it there past hours, I think it officially closes at 10/11pm, then you'd be ok. Out of state plates or out of town registration doesn't require a city sticker.
1) The beach parking lots are now metered; 2) Where the car is registered has no bearing on whether a city sticker is required. Any car that is principally kept in the city for more than 30 days out of the year is required to have a city sticker. It won't matter in the OP's case if the car is only here for a week... but the BF better start looking into getting a sticker for his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klost View Post
Hey all, I am going to Chicago this week to see my bf. I am going for the week to look for jobs and to see if I want to move there. I am driving and was wondering if anyone knew any places that I can park for the week for free? Or if any of you have guest parking and would like to let me use it this Monday probably through Sunday. He just moved in today, so he does not even have a Chicago parking permit yet. He is living on West Buena Ave. Any help would be appreciated.
Not all city streets require parking permits. Find out if there are parking restrictions where your BF lives. If there are, find a street somewhere else that is not zoned, park your car, and walk/bike/take a bus back to your BF's place.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
If I wasn't able to park near where I would be, I'd be leery of leaving my car in the city unattended for days. Yeah, the neighborhood may be alright but if someone notices a car without a city sticker in the same place for a few days...I wouldn't want to risk a break in or worse. It's one of those 'be street smart, don't make stupid mistakes.'
If the car is a block from the bf's house that's one thing, if it's on the other side of town, I'd discourage that.

Leave the car at home, or prepare to hunt and even pay for parking.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM

76 posts, read 279,932 times
The bastards metered Montrose beach eh lol. I haven't been there in awhile I usually go closer to downtown. Ok you have to get away from the beach and park in an area that has no zoning. I know for a fact that you could park it in the Portage park neighborhood, which is right off of Montrose but further west from your BF's house. They have plenty of streets with no zoning. Move it every third day, even up just a few spots, so it looks like you are using it.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Take the train and don't worry with the parking issue OR just pay to park somewhere secure.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
Most of the parking on Inner Lake Shore Drive is free and unrestricted (i.e. no zoned permit required), unless there is a Cubs game. Then you need a zoned permit after 5p on select streets. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago