Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 25,335 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be moving to town next week and I have a question about permit parking on the streets the neighborhood I'm looking at has permit parking I was wondering what the process for getting the permits is and what the cost is? Also am I going to have a problem with out of state plates? I was hoping I could put off the new plates for a couple of months since the move is going to be costing me a lot of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 PM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
You'll need Illinois plates and a city vehicle sticker. Once you have those, you take proof of residency within the zone (your lease, utility bills, ID with the proper address) to City Hall Room 107 or (sometimes) the alderman's office. There are also two satellite city halls, but they're pretty far out. The actual parking permit is free, but comes only after you've paid the state $78 and the city $75.

You buy license plates at a Secretary of State facility. There's one in the Thompson Center, but the one in the basement of 69 W Washington is usually uncrowded. For a small convenience fee, you can buy plates and the city sticker (but not the neighborhood permit) at check-cashing places called "currency exchanges," which are found all over the city.

People who already live in the zone can generally buy 24-hour permits for a nickel each, so you can get by for the first week with favors from neighbors or your landlord. But eventually you'll slip up or they'll ticket you anyway and it will seem cheaper to have just bought the city sticker in the first place.

Office of the Chicago City Clerk

Old 08-23-2008, 07:00 PM

26 posts, read 98,235 times
If I remember correctly, you have to register your vehicle within 30 days. To get the permit you'll need to show your lease, and previous licensing information, so they will know if it's been after 30 days. And, if it has been after 30 days, I think they charge quite a hefty fee.

I'm not sure what area you're moving into, but if you need some 383s, we can spare a few for free.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM

67 posts, read 207,995 times
The zone parking permit isn't free -- it costs $25. And guest passes aren't a nickel....they are $5.00 for 15.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
You can actually go to your Alderman's office with your lease before you have your city sticker (as getting your plates and your sticker and so forth can take a few days) and buy guest passes for your car. You'll just have to change it everyday because they each only last for 24 hours.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,825 times
Default moving to edgewater

hey guys im moving from richmond ca to chicago and found a place in edgewater i know i have to get somekind of permit to park on the street but i was wondering what do i do about the first day i get there will i get a ticket or do i have to move it every couple of hours? also any info about stuff to do or just the area is always helpfull. my new place is around the bryn mawr station

Old 07-04-2009, 01:28 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
You will need a "city sticker" after you register your car in the city of Chicago. And if you fail to register your car here, they will figure it out after a few months and ticket you anyway even if you have out-of-state plates.

You only need a parking permit if the block is "zoned". The zones exist to allow residents to park on their own streets in areas where parking is tight. You can only get a zone permit for the zone you live in, and it will allow you to park there 24-hours a day. People without zone permits are limited to certain hours--usually business hours for nearby stores. You will also get a packet of paper temporary guest permits to give to overnight guests.

If you live in an area with zoned parking, I suggest fining a non-zoned street to park your car on until you can get the permit. Most of Chicago is not zoned, but much of Edgewater is.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demerson View Post
hey guys im moving from richmond ca to chicago and found a place in edgewater i know i have to get somekind of permit to park on the street but i was wondering what do i do about the first day i get there will i get a ticket or do i have to move it every couple of hours? also any info about stuff to do or just the area is always helpfull. my new place is around the bryn mawr station
You are going to want to rip your hair out after the first few times of trying to find a parking spot in the vicinity, especially in the evenings, which also has the added bonus of the Hollywood/LSD clusterf---. Unless you don't mind parking a few blocks from your place.

Winthrop and Kenmore don't have permit parking, which is part of what makes it so absolutely exciting! to look for a parking spot.

If you can get rid of your car, I would recommend not having one while living in this neighborhood, unless you want to pay for a garage/live in a 4+1 that has included parking. And there's enough bus routes and the Red line to have you covered (well, for now, until they start cutting things again...), i.e. there's 4 bus routes within a block of the Bryn Mawr L.

But if you need your car for whatever reason, just keep this all in mind.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 PM

170 posts, read 536,090 times
I believe you have 30 days from the start of your lease to get your car registered/stickered, unless you live in a permit parking zone (I don't live in a permit zone so I'm not positive). For plates and city stickers, I'm pretty sure it's 30 days. Even if you got an undeserved ticket within those 30 days I doubt it would take much more than showing your lease to get it overturned.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
Even if you got an undeserved ticket within those 30 days I doubt it would take much more than showing your lease to get it overturned.
You won't have a problem. I've known many people who have parked with out-of-state plates for months without tickets. It takes them a while to catch on, but they will eventually so you're better off to just register your car within the first few weeks of arriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago