Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Finally, using the word "Wisconsin", and listening to its pronunciation, is a good tipoff as to whether someone is from the Chicagoland area.. it sounds like "Wis-caaaaan-son"....
Im born and bred in the area, noone I know (from city or burbs) says Wis-caaaaaan-son". Its Wis-CON-sin, thats how we pronounce it, just like it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Perhaps you don't hear it. I'm from Chicago too, and I've got lots of family from the east-coast, growing up me and my cousins would sit around and make fun of how each other talked ... when they'd do their imitations of me they always exaggerated their 'a's .. just like when I did my imitations of them I wouldn't pronounce my 'r's and I'd throw the word 'wicked' randomly into conversations.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Yeah now that I don't live in Chicago anymore people here are always poking fun at my accent. I never really noticed it til I left the area. I get teased for saying Oregon the way it should be pronounced: ORE-A-GON

Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Yeah now that I don't live in Chicago anymore people here are always poking fun at my accent. I never really noticed it til I left the area. I get teased for saying Oregon the way it should be pronounced: ORE-A-GON
Thats not an accent, just a pronunciation problem.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I have a few friends from Chicago and they all say Wisconsin like Wisk-an-san. I have another friend from Naperville and he sounds exactly like one of the SNL characters. "Da Beers." However, my black friends there have more of a southern twang to their accent.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
j33

I love how this thread has gone from discussing the characteristics of the city and her residents into debating the obvious, whether or not there is a distinct regional accent in the great lakes region and Chicago specifically. Of course there is. This has been documented linguistically and there is indeed a specific regional accent here just as there are distinct regional accents all over the US. Whether or not you 'hear' them is irrelevant. Sheesh!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I love how this thread has gone from discussing the characteristics of the city and her residents into debating the obvious, whether or not there is a distinct regional accent in the great lakes region and Chicago specifically. Of course there is. This has been documented linguistically and there is indeed a specific regional accent here just as there are distinct regional accents all over the US. Whether or not you 'hear' them is irrelevant. Sheesh!
I think you hit upon something important... Chicago is definitely a woman's city. It's a female city, that is to say. I don't question that the character is female. But it's probably the only example of a "female" character whose character isn't at all demeaned by her gender. It's very tough and very serious but I still think of the city as female.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I think you hit upon something important... Chicago is definitely a woman's city. It's a female city, that is to say. I don't question that the character is female. But it's probably the only example of a "female" character whose character isn't at all demeaned by her gender. It's very tough and very serious but I still think of the city as female.
Well, its pretty common to refer to cities, cars, ships, etc as feminine. You just dont hear people say "He's a great city". Dosent sound right.

With that all said, skyline wise I dont think Chicago could be any more masculine.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 PM
j33

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Well, its pretty common to refer to cities, cars, ships, etc as feminine. You just dont hear people say "He's a great city". Dosent sound right.
That is what I was doing. I thought it was pretty well know that cities (or countries) and ships are two of the very few grammatically gendered nouns in the English language. Although admittedly that is falling out of style in common written English, sometimes I forget.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The reason national broadcasters speak in the Midwestern accent doesn't have that much to do with them starting out here. And you certainly don't hear them talking like the SNL skit. Can you imagine?? The "Midwestern accent" is the generally accepted American English accent and as such it is taught in broadcast journalism schools. It certainly gives Midwesterners a leg up on the competition.
I know they are not newscasters or tele-journalists, but Mike North and even Mike Murphy on WSCR "The Score", Dan McNeal,Harry Teinowitz,John Jurkovic on WMVP and more sure sound pretty much like the SNL guys to me and all of them grew up in Chicago or the area.

Some can turn the "Chicago" in them off and on though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago