Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 AM

553 posts, read 409,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefuturehereanow View Post
I think only the Bronx can create a personality like cardi b. Chicagoans are pretty reserved imo
Where would you rank Cardi B in terms of personality compared to Kanye West? There is nothing reserved or humble about Kanye, he's a global superstar bordering on mad genius with every bit of character, fashion sense and braggadocio that anyone from NY has. There are plenty of potential Cardi B's floating around in Chicago but they wouldn't have the access or outlets to gain the notoriety NY artists do.

Lastly, to "NY Girl" I'm one of those union trade workers that dominate the Chicago labor force and trust me, it's a good thing. Right now we are doing a 1.5 billion upgrade at the Ford Hegewisch assembly plant, these would be $20 dollar an hour jobs with no benefits without unions instead of $47 an hour in wages and $27 per hour towards pension/annuity/health & welfare. Not to mention that the quality of work, professionalism, job security and safety would be all be abysmal with non-union contractors. Only the union can organize 4,000 workers to come in and perform the work in a timely manner with harmonious cooperation between trades working composite. Ford stripped many of their in-plant jobs from UAW to non-union entry level positions around $15 an hour and the attitudes, work ethic and skill gaps are apparent.

Last edited by IronWright; 03-05-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,529 times
This is an interesting question. I'm originally from the southwest suburbs and have lived in the city for 2 years. Both of my parents are originally from south side neighborhoods, and from what I can see both in them and myself by extension is that we tend to be sort of "uncouth" or politically incorrect if you will. I can see this in my mother especially as an occasionally stereotypical first generation Italian-American.

We care little about social formalities or coming across as diplomatic and tend to be "in your face" types. But I don't think this should be mistaken for a lack of caring or overall rudeness. I think that rather we tend to be "intense" in every way. We're outspoken, passionate people. We aren't lukewarm. This means that we also tend to care deeply for those close to us and will defend our friends and family whenever possible.

I've noticed similar traits in other native Chicagoans, particularly south siders. Could just be my own biases and perspectives, but it is an observation I've made over time.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
As a transplant here, the thing that strikes me most about Chicago is that most, not all, people are generally polite for a big city, and most, not all, don't have any heirs that they flaunt. I work and live with people from all backgrounds, and you often can't tell who lives where and who drives what most of the time, and I love it. People are real, that is the best part, and Midwestern with a street smart edge.

In California, you definitely can tell the Newport Beach and Beverly Hills crowd from the Anaheim and Thousand Oaks crowd. A lot of snobby and fake Kardashian type people, and a lot of obvious work done to places that don't naturally look that way. I think that there is much less of this going on here; the Hinsdale and Winnetka crowd isn't much different in attitude than the Lombard and Elk Grove Village crowd.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefuturehereanow View Post
I think only the Bronx can create a personality like cardi b. Chicagoans are pretty reserved imo
No way! I know some firery Puerto Rican women (nurses actually) that grew up in Humbolt Park, and although they have professional sides, they can definitely switch to a personality like Cardi B!

Chicagoans aren’t very reserved. The classic Chicagoans (I say that to differentiate from transplants), has a general laid back manner, but you also know not to mess with them because they can go off. The tough but somewhat silent type. I’m referring to the stereotypical old school south sider.

To your earlier comment. Of all major cities, Chicago/Chicagoland would be in the top for number of natives. Go to any of the other major cities, and you won’t find nearly as many natives in the metro region as you will find in Chicago. I’m using metro region, because many suburban natives end up in Chicago and many Chicagoans end up in the burbs. So the “region” contains many natives.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
The other day I was told at work down here on the Gulf Coast that I was "too intense." No, I'm just not as lackadaisical as the average local here. The laid-back "island time" stuff is all fun and games until you need to get something done in a reasonable timeframe.

I really do think Chicago's more my speed.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:03 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
WOW! I love spending time in Chicago, and essentially everything north of that, up until the border!

I don't find the people urban/suburban/exurban to be predominately business-oriented, or types that do not like to socialize.

I am constantly chatting up people on the sidewalks, or in stores, or that work in/come into a restaurant.

I mean, I was once described as "being able to make a light post talk", but still, I find northern Illini to be VERY warm, friendly, and talkative!

Old 12-05-2022, 10:28 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
It's different in the suburbs.

In our experience, people were generally quite talkative if you had one of these things in common.

1) kids in sports or some other common activity
2) you lived in the same subdivision
3) go to the same church

After that, people do kind of stay in their own bubbles in the "professional burbs". They stick mostly to what they know, and that's because life is busy - they are typically working hard at their jobs, working hard at making sure their kids succeed. Working hard to make their yards/lawns/houses show the best they can and potentially for resale.

I found that people are generally "surface friendly", will say hello (maybe), will return a wave, make small talk, but without those 1/2/3 common ground items, it's hard to go much deeper. Golf might be #4 for some people. Most just don't have the bandwidth.

FWIW, this is a male perspective only. Moms have their own thing.

My experience here was that it was hard to make close friends, but easy to make casual friends/acquaintances. Most people already have their close friend circle when you meet them.

In the city, it feels a little more intimate. A little more all or nothing. But you still have some of the same thing where you only go so far because people are busy with their own lives.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:02 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
So, what is the Chicago personality to you?
'Chicago ain't no sissy town!'

Old 12-05-2022, 04:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqhvk4Rcjfs

Old 12-05-2022, 07:48 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It's different in the suburbs.

In our experience, people were generally quite talkative if you had one of these things in common.

1) kids in sports or some other common activity
2) you lived in the same subdivision
3) go to the same church

After that, people do kind of stay in their own bubbles in the "professional burbs". They stick mostly to what they know, and that's because life is busy - they are typically working hard at their jobs, working hard at making sure their kids succeed. Working hard to make their yards/lawns/houses show the best they can and potentially for resale.

I found that people are generally "surface friendly", will say hello (maybe), will return a wave, make small talk, but without those 1/2/3 common ground items, it's hard to go much deeper. Golf might be #4 for some people. Most just don't have the bandwidth.

FWIW, this is a male perspective only. Moms have their own thing.

My experience here was that it was hard to make close friends, but easy to make casual friends/acquaintances. Most people already have their close friend circle when you meet them.

In the city, it feels a little more intimate. A little more all or nothing. But you still have some of the same thing where you only go so far because people are busy with their own lives.
Very much agree with this.

I haven't made much effort to make other friends in the suburbs and have mostly stuck to my pre-existing circle. The person I've probably spoken to the most is my neighbor, who is probably my parents' age. Super friendly guy, though. I've spoke to my other neighbors much less. They have several kids and are in their upper 40s, busier and have their own stuff. My oldest is just starting kindergarten next year, so that may change things. My wife has talked to a lot of moms that she's known for a few years now in her workout group.

Your city experience might be different from mine given you're there at an older age. In my 20s-early 30s it was kind of a free for all. Plans would kind of meander, and I'd meet a lot of different people through friends who would then become my friends. It was much easier with more free time and no kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago