Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Other cities rates from 2007(from what I can find):

83.6 - new orleans
46.38 - detroit
44.69 - baltimore
39.42 - st. louis
31.15 - d.c.
27.5 - cleveland
26.93 - philadelphia
26.25 - atlanta
24.47 - memphis
23.88 - miami
18.89 - jacksonville
17.62 - milwaukee
16.39 - dallas
16.37 - houston
15.42 - chicago
14.17 - phoenix
13.17 - san fran
11.18 - boston
10.10 - l.a.
5.94 - nyc
Great info. LA has also done a remarkable job of reducing its homicide rate and they have far fewer cops per capita than Chicago or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Great info. LA has also done a remarkable job of reducing its homicide rate and they have far fewer cops per capita than Chicago or NYC.
LA is also pulling off a Daley by passing off the trouble makers to cities like Compton, Long Beach, Anaheim, etc. by bulldozing down the lower class homes and building upscale condos in turn forcing trouble makers out.

Another thing that is surprising is have you ever seen the "Flip that house" episode where a flip was done in Watts? I think there is a fair amount of that going on in the older areas of LA thus introducing those homes back into the marketplace and gearing them towards hard working families instead of gearing run down old homes to drug dealers and squatters.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Actually, the CPD did that. One of their key strategies now is to push crime out of the city, period. They don't care where the gangs end up, as long they are out of the city. Hence, the surge in gang activity and crime in the suburbs, especially the inner ring 'burbs.
Of course the CPD does get some credit.I think they have been doing a better job the last 20 years. Do not forget about the federal money that was given out to many major cities to hire more cops either.

To give all the credit to Daley is ridiculous. He is like the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz.

What people do not know or forget is the Feds took over the CHA in 1995 because of widespread misuse and mismanagement. During that time they cleaned it up (not totally though) greatly and put it on course so the city had a blueprint to work with. The feds built those towers of crime and they began their destruction. The feds basically told the city what they HAD to do once control was turned back to the city.

They returned control to the city in mid 1999.By then, the feds had already started closing the high rises and giving out more section 8 vouchers so people could move to the burbs and other places in the city into non-government owned buildings.The feds started the demolition of Caprini Green and other projects.

The drop in murders mirrors the break up of many high rise buildings via demolition and Section 8 vouchers to many CHA residents that moved them outlying parts of the city and to the burbs.

During this time you will see Chicago's crime rate go down and the burbs go up.

Chicago Regains Control of Housing Agency - New York Times

CHAC Section 8 Program: Barriers to Successful Leasing Up

Chicago Housing Authority

Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Of course the CPD does get some credit.I think they have been doing a better job the last 20 years. Do not forget about the federal money that was given out to many major cities to hire more cops either.

To give all the credit to Daley is ridiculous. He is like the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz.

What people do not know or forget is the Feds took over the CHA in 1995 because of widespread misuse and mismanagement. During that time they cleaned it up (not totally though) greatly and put it on course so the city had a blueprint to work with. The feds built those towers of crime and they began their destruction. The feds basically told the city what they HAD to do once control was turned back to the city.

They returned control to the city in mid 1999.By then, the feds had already started closing the high rises and giving out more section 8 vouchers so people could move to the burbs and other places in the city into non-government owned buildings.The feds started the demolition of Caprini Green and other projects.

The drop in murders mirrors the break up of many high rise buildings via demolition and Section 8 vouchers to many CHA residents that moved them outlying parts of the city and to the burbs.

During this time you will see Chicago's crime rate go down and the burbs go up.

Chicago Regains Control of Housing Agency - New York Times

CHAC Section 8 Program: Barriers to Successful Leasing Up

Chicago Housing Authority
Oh come on now, Daley has done wonders with this city. True he may be a little crooked, ok more like alot, but Chicago has never looked so good. Our downtown is amazing as well as many other parts of the city. He's not that bad and apparently voters don't seem to think so either as he won again by a complete landslide.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Oh come on now, Daley has done wonders with this city. True he may be a little crooked, ok more like alot, but Chicago has never looked so good. Our downtown is amazing as well as many other parts of the city. He's not that bad and apparently voters don't seem to think so either as he won again by a complete landslide.
When faced with the other choices that were offered last time who wouldnt vote for him? If there would have been just one decent canidate I would have voted against Daley and many others would have too. I dont think hell run again. If he does and he gets the right opposition, he is done.

If Jesse Jackson Jr. or Gutierrez would have ran, Daley would have been toast.

Other than crime going down during his tenure nothing has improved for most residents. Hes robbing the future for the present with his TIFs. Whomever is mayor in 20 years will be in for a handful. By then, I am sure most people that have moved here in the last 15 years or so will be gone anyway.

Chicagos culture,history,and affordability have gown down the tubes in the last 10-15 years. Chicago is becoming bland but expensive.

Out of control taxes,fines,corruption and waste just does no leave a good taste. The Real Taste of Chicago.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
I dont think hell run again.
Daleys pet and perhaps defining legacy is the Olympics. They also hinge big time on if he is in office to see them through. You can be damn sure he'll be running again.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Daleys pet and perhaps defining legacy is the Olympics. They also hinge big time on if he is in office to see them through. You can be damn sure he'll be running again.
Thats if we win it.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Also someone said the burbs are pushing their crap on the city??????? How so? What crap would you be speaking of? The nicely built homes, safe neighborhoods, educated people for hire in the thousands of offices downtown, the suburbanite's money to spend in the city, the excellent shopping in the burbs, and there is too much more to names so I would love to hear what crap you are speaking of and I'm sure many others would too especially since there are more of us (suburbanites) than city dwellers now. Also lets not forget that the city came first then the burbs, so which crap came first the chicken or the egg.

Which would you prefer, to have people more spread out so there is some breathing room, or have NY where everyone is piled on top of eachother and it is just wall to wall people and bumper to bumper horn honking traffic to the point that EMS cannot even get through?
Here's an example. I live in Uptown, which is filled with homeless shelters, homes for the mentally ill, rehab centers, and halfway houses. Do you have any of these things in Oak Brook or Wilmette? Of course not. The city is shouldering the burden for the entire metropolitan area. Many of the homeless drugged out mentally ill people wandering the street are from all over the metro area, but they end up concentrated in a handfull of city neighborhoods.

Another example is the creation of the large urban ghetto. Sure, you can say that people with means fled the city for a better life when they moved to the suburbs after WWII, but there were other more deliberate forces involved. Banks wouldn't lend money to people who lived in "certain neighborhoods"--which is widely documented as "redlining". Zoning codes were set up in nearly all suburbs to make sure only a certain size single-family home could be built there, thereby shutting out the lower class. The large ghetto you see today paired with the post-war suburb were deliberately created to separate the wealthy and the poor. Sure, you love to have cheap labor for your stores and fast food restaurants out in the burbs, but where do these people live? Why does the city have such a large proportion of low-income renters and services that cater to them?

When I talked about spreading the poverty out over a large area, I am not referring to urban sprawl. I only want to see poverty deconcentrated. It is widely accepted today that concentrated poverty leads to more social ills than sporadic poverty in mixed-income areas. There is something about a large ghetto that breeds more crime and hopelessness than a small one.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Here's an example. I live in Uptown, which is filled with homeless shelters, homes for the mentally ill, rehab centers, and halfway houses. Do you have any of these things in Oak Brook or Wilmette? Of course not. The city is shouldering the burden for the entire metropolitan area. Many of the homeless drugged out mentally ill people wandering the street are from all over the metro area, but they end up concentrated in a handfull of city neighborhoods.

Another example is the creation of the large urban ghetto. Sure, you can say that people with means fled the city for a better life when they moved to the suburbs after WWII, but there were other more deliberate forces involved. Banks wouldn't lend money to people who lived in "certain neighborhoods"--which is widely documented as "redlining". Zoning codes were set up in nearly all suburbs to make sure only a certain size single-family home could be built there, thereby shutting out the lower class. The large ghetto you see today paired with the post-war suburb were deliberately created to separate the wealthy and the poor. Sure, you love to have cheap labor for your stores and fast food restaurants out in the burbs, but where do these people live? Why does the city have such a large proportion of low-income renters and services that cater to them?

When I talked about spreading the poverty out over a large area, I am not referring to urban sprawl. I only want to see poverty deconcentrated. It is widely accepted today that concentrated poverty leads to more social ills than sporadic poverty in mixed-income areas. There is something about a large ghetto that breeds more crime and hopelessness than a small one.
You guys up there in 46 really need to find a way to vote Schiller out of office next time. Uptown will never get where it could be with her in office.

The problems up there spread down to Lake View and Edgewater too everyday.:-(

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM

15 posts, read 76,608 times
Quote:
Quote:
When faced with the other choices that were offered last time who wouldnt vote for him? If there would have been just one decent canidate I would have voted against Daley and many others would have too. I dont think hell run again. If he does and he gets the right opposition, he is done.

If Jesse Jackson Jr. or Gutierrez would have ran, Daley would have been toast.

Other than crime going down during his tenure nothing has improved for most residents. Hes robbing the future for the present with his TIFs. Whomever is mayor in 20 years will be in for a handful. By then, I am sure most people that have moved here in the last 15 years or so will be gone anyway.

Chicagos culture,history,and affordability have gown down the tubes in the last 10-15 years. Chicago is becoming bland but expensive.

Out of control taxes,fines,corruption and waste just does no leave a good taste. The Real Taste of Chicago.

Do you honestly believe Daley has done nothing for this city? I'm sorry, but that is unbelieveable. Sure Daley may be crooked to some extent, what politician isn't (not that it's right)? But one thing I have to do is give Daley credit where credit is due. I'm not saying everything positive that has happened in the city of Chicago was Daley's doing, but he has been a catalyst for change thus the trickle effect. City living in Chicago was losing interest to many, but that is changing BIG TIME. I know many who live in the burbs (even with families) that are wanting to move back into the city. Most of Chicago has never been cleaner nor more inviting for residents or tourists. I remember less than 15 years ago, downtown was a ghost town after 5pm and the south loop was a serious crap district. Grant Park was not even close to being as nice as it is. There were train tracks where Millenium Park is now. Even state street felt like a dirty strip of dollar stores. Practically all city streets had so many potholes it was ridiculous.

Many neighborhoods have improved drastically and the skyline looks completely different than it did even in the early and mid nineties. The change is because people want to live in the city and businesses want to be in the city now and I believe that trend is going to continue for some time.

Chicago has more movies being shot in the city (thanks to the governor's tax credit) than it has in a long time. The city is visibly pleasing on film due to its architecture and cleanliness. Our theatre entertainment scene is through the roof and fashion is being taken seriously by the city as we were losing designers to other cities. "Green" is in and Chicago is ahead of the urban pack. This all results in more jobs which help offset some of the loss of factory jobs.

Our appeal internationally is becoming even stronger thanks to the appointment of Chicago's new ambassador to China as well as our bid for the 2016 Olympics. Hosting the World Boxing Championships without a hitch (with just weeks to prepare) didn't hurt Chicago's image either.
The list goes on. Like I said, Daley doesn't get credit for EVERYTHING, but the man deserves a hell of a lot more than some people give him. I have never been more pleased to live in Chicago than I do right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago