Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Because the poor and working-class people there were better organized than they were in many other neighborhoods, and had some genuine representation in Helen Shiller. Since Shiller retired, the yuppies have revved up their campaign to ethnically cleanse the neighborhood and purge it of anyone who isn't like them. So far, they haven't been completely successful. But in the end, they will take over Uptown just as they've taken over almost the whole North Side.
That old line of B.S. is pure propaganda, and you're a fool if you believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Sorry, I meant Broadway and Lawrence, not Clark/Lawrence. Right around the JJ Peppers, there also a methodone clinic, a mental health Clinic, SRO and homeless church. All the best of Uptown in about an 1/8 block radius.
Not to quibble further, but I think you might mean Lawrence and Sheridan. That's where JJ Peppers is, and yeah, it's pretty grungy.

Lawrence/Broadway is where The Green Mill and the Riv are. Unless Starbucks sketches you out, it's not one of the scarier corners in Uptown.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Not to quibble further, but I think you might mean Lawrence and Sheridan. That's where JJ Peppers is, and yeah, it's pretty grungy.

Lawrence/Broadway is where The Green Mill and the Riv are. Unless Starbucks sketches you out, it's not one of the scarier corners in Uptown.
Right, Wilson and Broadway is sketchier, but Lawrence and Broadway is fine. Sheridan is definitely the worst part of Uptown.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Dang....my bad. That's what I meant. Used to live in LS right off Lawrence and used to take Lawrence to LSD all the time. Getting my streets mixed up. But yes, that corner is rough.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm taking it you don't live in or near Uptown?
Just for the record, I lived in Uptown 20 years ago, when Uptown's rough edges were far rougher than they are today. I liked it a lot. I had no major problems. I might have stayed, except that my rent went up 50% in just two years! Needless to say, my income did not go up 50% in just two years. Gentrification sent my landlord's property taxes skyrocketing, and he had to keep raising the rent in response. You can learn to stay away from the rough patches in a given neighborhood. But there's no way to walk around a massive rent increase.

Uptown has actually been slowly gentrifying for decades. It just hasn't gentrified fast enough, or completely enough, to suit some of its current residents. These folks will not be satisfied until every business in the neighborhood is hip and trendy, every social service agency has been shut down, every bit of affordable housing converted to pricey condos, and every last person who is not a middle-class or upper-middle class property owner has been purged. That's their agenda, in a nutshell.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Re: Agenda...

Quote:
Just for the record, I lived in Uptown 20 years ago, when Uptown's rough edges were far rougher than they are today. I liked it a lot. I had no major problems. I might have stayed, except that my rent went up 50% in just two years! Needless to say, my income did not go up 50% in just two years. Gentrification sent my landlord's property taxes skyrocketing, and he had to keep raising the rent in response. You can learn to stay away from the rough patches in a given neighborhood. But there's no way to walk around a massive rent increase.

Uptown has actually been slowly gentrifying for decades. It just hasn't gentrified fast enough, or completely enough, to suit some of its current residents. These folks will not be satisfied until every business in the neighborhood is hip and trendy, every social service agency has been shut down, every bit of affordable housing converted to pricey condos, and every last person who is not a middle-class or upper-middle class property owner has been purged. That's their agenda, in a nutshell.
There are folks that have made a literally fortune selling things like ice cream to the affluent while paying factory workers wages far above industry norms, supporting family farms, sustaining the rain forests and bringing "smart development" to otherwise impoversed areas.

Such "socially driven" business activities are capable in industries where the profits from a marking / imagine driven endeavor can be used to support "good works". I don't often recall hearing anyone complain about an "agenda" when they've slurped down some nutty-fruity-choclately frozen treat...

There is no model for any such endeavor involving rental units that are kept artificially below market rates. The forces that keep low priced rentals from attracting a mix of nearby businesses that sells nicer produce or resturants that are more innovative or even entertainment venues that appeal to the kind of audience with the time & money to support them are wholly incompatible with the "do gooder" mindset that keeps folks without skills dependant on big government.

Hip and trendy wins over unsanitary and frightening.

I would suggest that if perhaps the city truly did acknowledge that focusing exclusively on handing out tax breaks to big office oriented employers is counter productive to having a truly balanced economy that would see a more diverse group of people achieving a true "middle class" lifestyle. Maybe some of the efforts from the "advanced manufacuring iniative" will have some pay offs. I would also suggest that hiring folks beyond the usual pool of connected insiders for any kind of city related work might make a true middle class more of an obtainable goal.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
It just hasn't gentrified fast enough, or completely enough, to suit some of its current residents. These folks will not be satisfied until every business in the neighborhood is hip and trendy, every social service agency has been shut down, every bit of affordable housing converted to pricey condos, and every last person who is not a middle-class or upper-middle class property owner has been purged. That's their agenda, in a nutshell.
I'm sure there are people who think this way, but most people just really want the shootings and criminal activity to stop. And many of the social service agencies in Uptown could give a crap less about how they impact the surrounding area.

Uptown has had a mix of incomes for it's entire history, but has recently tilted a bit more upscale. Why is it wrong to want some businesses that cater to the current residents' needs and wants? There are enough empty storefronts in Uptown for anyone to open any type of business that has demand from residents.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm sure there are people who think this way, but most people just really want the shootings and criminal activity to stop. And many of the social service agencies in Uptown could give a crap less about how they impact the surrounding area.

Uptown has had a mix of incomes for it's entire history, but has recently tilted a bit more upscale. Why is it wrong to want some businesses that cater to the current residents' needs and wants? There are enough empty storefronts in Uptown for anyone to open any type of business that has demand from residents.
But even if everyone in Uptown were law-abiding, even if criminal activity dwindled to nearly nothing, a lot of the affluent people would still be unhappy.

The reason is, for many of them, Uptown isn't just a place to live, it is a place to invest. They bought property in Uptown as an investment and, understandably, want to see that investment accrue to maximum possible value.

Well, that can't happen if Uptown remains economically diverse. Lowe-income people, the housing they live in, the businesses that cater too them, the social service agencies many of them rely on for help--all these stand in the way of maximizing property values. The yuppies can chirp all they want about diversity. But the truth is, diversity is their enemy. The only way they are going to maximize their property values to have Uptown become like Lincoln park--i.e. slick, trendy, and unaffordable to the vast majority of Chicagoans.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
In 2014 in urban America, there seem to be two options: hip and trendy, or grungy and dangerous. A boring middle-middle-class ambience has much to recommend it, but nobody seems interested.

I'll take hip and trendy.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
There's still plenty of "boring middle-class ambiance" once you get away from the lakefront and inner-ring neighborhoods. Irving Park, Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Dunning, Forest Glen, Edison Park, Galewood, Montclare, Ashburn, Clear-Ridge, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago