Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:30 AM

15 posts, read 55,208 times

Advertisements

I am in Phoenix. Born and raised. I was just wondering why so many people from Chicago move here? It seems like they must teach it in grade school to the kids to move to Phoenix. I guess I would specifically like to know why not Nevada, Utah, or New Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 AM

356 posts, read 548,324 times
da' cubs spring training

da' weather

da' cost of living

da' cheap airfares

Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,804,986 times
yup -- all of the above.

not sure where the airfare fits in -- as my mom is down in Tucson, and she says it's not as cheap down there, but could be because there are not as many flights compared to PHX.

For retirement, i'd look into it, but hubby hates it down there... too dry.

and when you compare scenery .... AZ beats IL hands down.

everyone I know who moved there did it for the weather. the winters up here are brutal [though they are not as bad as they used to be] but there is just no comparison.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 AM

356 posts, read 548,324 times
I was referring to the reasonable airfares back and forth to Chicago so you can go have holiday lunch at Macy's with Carter!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,629,265 times
I'll take a stab. Believe me, I am not to be trusted on this...

1) you will find a bunch of Chicagoans in Vegas, know a bunch of ex-cops who moved down there. Also know a lot of people who moved back. That being said, it's a place to go on a long weekend, not to live
2) Utah: right or wrong, lots of chicagoans are Catholics and I think the whole "mormon" issue scares off people. It's another beautiful state and I've always had a good time there and enjoy the culture/people. I hate the 3.5 beer.
3) New Mexico: I've been there a bunch of times on hiking trips, it's a lovely place to visit, but I haven't heard many people at all talk about vacationing there. Maybe because of the lack of flights?

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have a heckuva lot more Californians moving in than us. The ones that do move to Phoenix go down there for the golf and the weather. it's a large city so it has lots of the big city amenities that people are used to.

One thing I'd like to know--anyone know of a site/census thing that shows how many people who are born in a particular metro area actually stay in that area? Or how long the average person has been in an area? I'd suspect that Chicago has a higher than average percentage of folks that are born here and die here than just about anywhere out West.

Last edited by mdz; 11-20-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,964,588 times
I don't know of anyone moving to Phoenix from Chicago that is under 65 years old... Are you talking about the elderly here, or more of a balanced migration? I know that Phoenix is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, so they have to be coming from somewhere... And all of the New Yorkers move to Miami.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,383,359 times
I think the above are pretty good estimations....especially the reasons about why the other states are not the best places to move......I like Vegas myself but agree I am not to sure that I would stay there....but California is my #1 choice, Arizona would probably be second.

However, I assure you, its not just Arizona....when I lived in Florida a co-worker asked me what happens to people in Ohio and Illinois....he said "I'm never going there, they must just beat them with with lead pipes"

Of course, he was referring to the fact that so many people from our part of the country move to Florida....

So, why dont you move to Chicago and see for yourself!?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

15 posts, read 55,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I think the above are pretty good estimations....especially the reasons about why the other states are not the best places to move......I like Vegas myself but agree I am not to sure that I would stay there....but California is my #1 choice, Arizona would probably be second.

However, I assure you, its not just Arizona....when I lived in Florida a co-worker asked me what happens to people in Ohio and Illinois....he said "I'm never going there, they must just beat them with with lead pipes"

Of course, he was referring to the fact that so many people from our part of the country move to Florida....

So, why dont you move to Chicago and see for yourself!?
I dont know about moving to Chicago, Heck I have never even seen snow in person.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,808,286 times
I would say the traffic, snow&cold,and taxes often make people want to leave Chicago at some point.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,533,918 times
Not to mention the snow ball effect... Their aunts and uncles moved there first as well as grandparents, now the younger people still back here miss their older family members so they move out there as well just to be close to mom and dad or grandma and grandpa. Basically, its more or less a chain reaction of the younger generation following the older folks who were just trying to escape the colder/cloudier weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago