Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM

285 posts, read 386,065 times

Advertisements

Do gay men get annoyed when straight woman go to gay bars for the novelty of it? Not trying to knock anyone, just curious. I have gone to gay bars with women before (mostly in NOLA), and it's always seemed to be a "when in Rome" thing. I always wondered how gay patrons felt, even though we fit in and have a good time (maybe I just answered my question).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think that depends on the person and everything. I have gay friends who actually introduced me to a handful of women I ended up dating or what not. But I could see how some don't do that.
That happens all the time. Guys want me to introduce them to my best friend. What they fail to realize is I recognize game and I can smell it coming.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That happens all the time. Guys want me to introduce them to my best friend. What they fail to realize is I recognize game and I can smell it coming.
Yep. Usually when it happens with me, I'm not the one to ask to be set up or anything. My friends just say "Oh I met this girl you'd really like and you two would be great." Definitely don't ask them otherwise it might be kiind of awkward you know?

I do introduce my gay friends to other gay friends of mine a bit too

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Do gay men get annoyed when straight woman go to gay bars for the novelty of it? Not trying to knock anyone, just curious. I have gone to gay bars with women before (mostly in NOLA), and it's always seemed to be a "when in Rome" thing. I always wondered how gay patrons felt, even though we fit in and have a good time (maybe I just answered my question).
I don't have a problem with it but I seldom go to gay bars.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep. Usually when it happens with me, I'm not the one to ask to be set up or anything. My friends just say "Oh I met this girl you'd really like and you two would be great."
That is great because most gay guys i know won't introduce you to their female friends if you are not a quality person!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
That is great because most gay guys i know won't introduce you to their female friends if you are not a quality person!
Yep, exactly. Friends are friends no matter what background they have, in the end. Likewise, I won't introduce my gay friends to other gay people unless they're quality. I am picky with my friends though and if I want to hang out with you, I think you're a quality person already. Hopefully it's the same the other way around

Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
This is not only happen in Chicago. It happens in most urban and EVEN SUBURBAN areas. I can attest that these happen in Miami and the surrounding burbs (where I grew up) and Philadelphia and the surrounding burbs (Where I live now).

What I just find it a little uneasy is how some females are in search of good looking muscly gay bff because it's a new "IN" accessory. Same goes the other way around. Some gay males are in search of a female friend because it is the "IN" accessory.
As a gay man, I have friends from all spectrum from straight guys to lesbians.
But my straight female friends like to hang out with me because she said even though we are both after men (well I am not single - but hypothetically speaking), there won't be any competition. Plus they said they feel safe around me (most likely because I won't attempt to sleep with them and I have tendencies to protect them when they go out and some hoodlums try to bother them).

Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Straight women like gay men because they both want the same "thing". Furthermore, straight women feel more relaxed (without being on the defense or playing hard to get) around gay men who don't want to "hit that package". :chuckles:

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Maybe this isn't just a Chicago thing but I've noticed straight women love hanging out with gay men. They even like to go to gay bars. The moment they find out I'm gay, a light goes on and they let their guard down and enjoy being around me. I don't mind the attention but wow! If straight men got the same attention, they would be in heaven.

What's up with that?
How to the gay men feel about this? That's been going on for a long time though. I remember going to Berlin on Halloween many years ago with straight women (from Iceland!...awesomeness!) and I'm a straight guy. I suppose women sometimes just wanna have fun with men without having too much fun, if ya know what I mean.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
If it's just people out with their gay friends or a few girls who go out to the bar no one cares at all. The only time I see people get annoyed is when the big group of 20 girls get drunk at a bachelorette party and then go to the gay bar with suckers and condoms stapled to their shirt wearing vails screaming and running around like it's an amusement park. They're thirsty for attention and all excited because it's a bachelorette party acting like the gay guys are toys for their theme night. Some guys also get a little annoyed because they're celebrating a marriage and basically at the bar throwing it in everyone face - people who aren't legally allowed to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago