Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
"apparently there isn't much they can do" - Really? The police cannot do anything against groups of people loitering on streetcorners? They can't tell them to "get the hell off the corner?" The police can't run their IDs, so if they know if the same guys come back to the corner and they can be arrested?

Whole Foods' manager isn't complaining about groups of guys loitering in front of his store?

I don't understand the relationship you guys have with your police and elected politicians. If MY wife was accosted by "thugs" on a streetcorner that I know is populated all day by these types, I would be at my alderman/city councilman's office demanding that they have the police break this up. I understand you alone can't confront a group of guys with little to lose, but that's why you have police, isn't it?

Are the cops scared? Bored? Jaded? To be honest I don't care, I expect them to do their jobs.
Believe me, I have personally spoken to Alderman Tunney, and I get the same canned response "the police are aware of the situation and taking action"; Whole Foods has told me they have assigned a security guard to patrol the sidewalk (the guy looks like Paul Blart, mall cop). My police friend told me they cannot use excessive force because of race issues, but they are waiting for another major incident to happen so they can clean house. It is all very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Believe me, I have personally spoken to Alderman Tunney, and I get the same canned response "the police are aware of the situation and taking action"; Whole Foods has told me they have assigned a security guard to patrol the sidewalk (the guy looks like Paul Blart, mall cop). My police friend told me they cannot use excessive force because of race issues, but they are waiting for another major incident to happen so they can clean house. It is all very frustrating.
Sounds like the Alderman needs to go. I'm really surprised all the businesses up and down Halsted aren't up in arms over this.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sounds like the Alderman needs to go. I'm really surprised all the businesses up and down Halsted aren't up in arms over this.
Agree. it really is confined to the corner of Waveland and Halsted in front of the center on halsted, I am not sure if any other business on Halsted have complained, as I don't frequent them, but the whole foods sure is taking a cowardly approach in my opinion. I refuse to let a bunch of Thugs lead me to alter my routine, but my wife REFUSES to go into that whole foods.

It also infuriates me that the cops need a major incedent to happen before they do something, that is a major major problem in my opinoin. Guess I'll be rooting for somebody to get stabbed over there to soon (joking, but seriously, I hope 2 of the thugs hanging out there just stab eachother)

Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Agree. it really is confined to the corner of Waveland and Halsted in front of the center on halsted, I am not sure if any other business on Halsted have complained, as I don't frequent them, but the whole foods sure is taking a cowardly approach in my opinion. I refuse to let a bunch of Thugs lead me to alter my routine, but my wife REFUSES to go into that whole foods.
What are the police waiting for in order to crack down? From what I've read it's been going on long enough. I seldom visit that area anymore, so I have never witnessed any of this.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What are the police waiting for in order to crack down? From what I've read it's been going on long enough. I seldom visit that area anymore, so I have never witnessed any of this.
I have no idea....I have been out of Chicago for a handful of years, and had no idea this corner was such a problem, as I don't frequent the area at all outside of the Whole Foods, and the center on halsted wasn't there last time I lived in Chicago, but I would imagine the people who hang at that corner are responsible for much of the crime that goes on in lakeview.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
It also infuriates me that the cops need a major incident to happen before they do something, that is a major major problem in my opinoin. Guess I'll be rooting for somebody to get stabbed over there to soon (joking, but seriously, I hope 2 of the thugs hanging out there just stab eachother)
It's a lie. A lie that big-city cops tell when they don't feel like doing something. Breaking up some loiterers is boring, solving a murder or assault is "interesting," I guess.

Would the Naperville police allow a group of men to loiter in their downtown? How about Wheaton, or Oak Park? I think not. You call the Oak Park police they would be there in minutes, and the situation would get handled. The Chicago cops just don't feel like doing anything. Too bad...

Personally I would call 911 every time I saw the group congregating, and report that "I think I saw a man with a gun."

Old 07-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
It's a lie. A lie that big-city cops tell when they don't feel like doing something. Breaking up some loiterers is boring, solving a murder or assault is "interesting," I guess.

Would the Naperville police allow a group of men to loiter in their downtown? How about Wheaton, or Oak Park? I think not. You call the Oak Park police they would be there in minutes, and the situation would get handled. The Chicago cops just don't feel like doing anything. Too bad...

Personally I would call 911 every time I saw the group congregating, and report that "I think I saw a man with a gun."
This is really good advice. Are people not calling the police?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
[quote=Ace Rothstein;30297755]There is some fudging of numbers. The city didn't count 4 murders that happened on area expressways as the State is investigating those. They happened in Chicago so they should count in Chicago's numbers. Cops tout lowest homicide count since '65, CPD data show virtual tie with '11 - chicagotribune.com

The poster didn't pick out the random data point for comparison, Garry McCarthy did in the article you posted.[/]

I stand corrected on the stats, I totally missed the 1965 reference.

But my overall point is still valid- the homicide trend is way, way, way down since it peaked in the 90s. As in almost 50% lower. The fact that the CPD neglected to mention all of 4 that they aren't responsible for confirms that. 4 people, city of 2.7 million, a very reasonable margin of error. People that refuse to acknowledge this overall trend aren't fooling anybody.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
That page is incorrectly labelled. It says "crime rate" but those aren't crime rates, they're crime numbers.
Bingo. As immediately noticed (and commented upon) by everyone with 3rd grade and above reading skills.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Bingo. As immediately noticed (and commented upon) by everyone with 3rd grade and above reading skills.
I have hundreds of books in my bedroom. One of my favorite places to relax is the Barnes And Noble cafe.. I know anyone can claim they're anything on the internet (such as yourself) but I'm actually a published author. It's nothing to really brag about. You won't find my book at a Barnes And Noble store but you can buy it on Amazon or download it at Barnes And Noble's website..

Considering your constant defending of Chicago ghettos, I'd think you'd understand that sometimes people can be well read even if they lack a formal education.

Last edited by urza216; 07-03-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago