Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
People should get over saying "get over yourself". But it is what it is.
I think "it is what it is" is about the most played-out saying that you could have said. Sorry to throw you under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The abundance of "lock step non-conformists" one encounters in any of Chicago's "hot" areas is indicative of how easy it is to slap on some tight jeans, retro spectacles and hoist a craft beer as you boldly join the lemmings spreading out over Bucktown/Wicker Park/ Logan Square/Ukrianian Village in their "explorations" of Pilsen / Bridgeport and other "exotic" places...
Ironic, isn't it, how so many so-called "nonconformists" have merely traded one brand of conformity for another...

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I think this is the point a lot of people have been trying to make all along. Of course there are more options in the city than the suburbs. But, not everyone requires or even cares about a lot of variety. I'm generally considered a fun person (believe it or not), but I don't need to go to a different bar or restaurant every night. Once I find something I like I tend to stick with it anyway, so the variety was wasted on me.
^This. Even many city dwellers do the same thing -- they find their little niche within the great variety of offerings and then stick with it. Not everyone inside Chicago proper is taking advantage of everything out there.

A person who wishes to balance a desire for open space with a desire for a reasonable (if not spectacular) number of dining/entertainment options might well find the suburbs a good fit.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
I think "it is what it is" is about the most played-out saying that you could have said.
No doubt. Get it?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
The best Rock and Roll club I ever knew was in Schaumburg, Beginnings owned by Denny Serephine. I saw Rush and the Ramones there among others and the Punk band I was in opened there for The Jam.

Back when there was 18 year old drinking there were many jumpin' joints in the burbs. We'd go to the Thirsty Whale, get hammered and then go next door to Gene and Jude's at closing time. Actually in 70s there was more Rock and Roll action in the burbs than the city. Not that it matters now. The Boyz from Illinoiz.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Spontaneity vs responsibility

The accomplishment of previous generations of Chicagoans are too numerous to fully appreciate but include obvious success in the development of modern urban architecture / highrises, ambitious aquatic engineering efforts like the reversal of the Chicago river, domination in previous eras of retailing by the likes of Sears, Wards, and Speigel, artistic /educational legacies of multiple universities, museums, orchestras, domination of financial derivatives markets and so much more.

Now? Lots of beer soaked merriment. Yeah.

If there was any indication that the hordes of newcomers that are "gentrifying" Chicago's formerly working class areas have an potential to leave any positives in their wake I might not work so hard to ridicule the current obsession with self indulgent amusement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Get over yourself. People who choose to not have kids and live in the city are not somehow less than you, which is what you imply when you say they are living a life that they shouldn't be proud of.

You shouldn't be proud of the fact that you can't seem to grasp that people have different preferences than you, and therefore you have no grounds to say that their love for the spontaneity is only "alleged" (implying that it doesn't really exist.) For them, it is quite real.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
The best Rock and Roll club I ever knew was in Schaumburg, Beginnings owned by Denny Serephine. I saw Rush and the Ramones there among others and the Punk band I was in opened there for The Jam.
You were in a Punk band? I'm finding that hard to imagine...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Of course. It was where the kids were...

In the 70s the memories of riots in Chicago and the promise of a better life in suburbs drew families out to the burbs. The presence of those young people are what fueled the ability of club owners to build businesses that catered to young people.

The shift away from clubs that had a young crowd ( hastened by the move to 21 yr old drinking restrictions ...) has signficantly altered the viability of suburban night spots.

There is no real argument that now there are more overall options for nightlife in Chicago than in the 'burbs but the ignorance of those that foolishly act as though 606xx is the only place worthy of consideration shows much about their lack of any sense of history / dishonest hyperbole ...

Quote:

Back when there was 18 year old drinking there were many jumpin' joints in the burbs. We'd go to the Thirsty Whale, get hammered and then go next door to Gene and Jude's at closing time. Actually in 70s there was more Rock and Roll action in the burbs than the city. Not that it matters now. The Boyz from Illinoiz.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Actually, it explains a lot. Reading his posts, Irish Tom hasn't really abandoned the punk rock ethos to this day.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
He is the most interesting man in the world. Or at least Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago