Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM

167 posts, read 553,610 times

Advertisements

I have been going back and forth for the last year wondering if I want to move back to Chicago or not and researching other cities. (Grew up in the area and moved away after graduate school. Have lived in various cities since and for the last 5 yrs in NYC.) Due to a family incident, I REALLY would like to make my way back to Chicago. I would like to live in the city and not the suburbs and not have to repurchase a car at this time (as I can't really afford it now after living in NYC.) Outside of the city of Chicago, are there any suburbs that are a close commute via metra that would be worth looking into? I was told that jobs in Oak Brook are a possibilty but that one would need to commute downtown and than take the train back out and that would be a pain. I was also told that some companies such as Abbot Labs offers a shuttle from the train station.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,190,947 times
My advice would be first decide where you want to possibly live. Secure a job in a "reasonable" location and go from there. Oakbrook is not the only place that has great jobs. As A matter of fact, just this week I had two great interviews at two great companies offering great pay. One is in walking distance and the other is one bus ride away. Both are in the Loop.

Do you need a car? Hmmmmmmmm..it dpends on the lifestyle you want to live. People do have cars in the city. I don't own a car and I am just fine. For the record, I am very busy and active in many things. Only you would know if you need a car or not.

But generally speaking, no you don't need a car. You can certainly survive without one.

I will say, you can find a job that is acceptable to you without having to go to Oakbrook. Of course if you are the CEO of McDonalds that's another story. I'd gladly commute for that gig.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post
I have been going back and forth for the last year wondering if I want to move back to Chicago or not and researching other cities. (Grew up in the area and moved away after graduate school. Have lived in various cities since and for the last 5 yrs in NYC.) Due to a family incident, I REALLY would like to make my way back to Chicago. I would like to live in the city and not the suburbs and not have to repurchase a car at this time (as I can't really afford it now after living in NYC.) Outside of the city of Chicago, are there any suburbs that are a close commute via metra that would be worth looking into? I was told that jobs in Oak Brook are a possibilty but that one would need to commute downtown and than take the train back out and that would be a pain. I was also told that some companies such as Abbot Labs offers a shuttle from the train station.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,890 times
Evanston is served very well by metra and cta trains.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
If youre going to look at the suburbs for jobs, make sure they have Metra access to and from work, and make sure your prospected place of business is within a short walking distance of the Metra station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: