Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 08:16 PM

26 posts, read 35,799 times

Advertisements

I will be attending Depaul this fall as a transfer and have orientation at the end of June. I would like to look at apartments when I am in town, but I am wondering how practical this is.

Currently, I live and work in Grand Rapids at one of the hospitals, which is owned by Trinity Health. My Director put in a great word for me with our Trinity Health hospital in Chicago so I can transfer within the company. However, I don't think I will have a definite job by the time I arrive for orientation. This being said, I will have over $3000 saved up as additional income. I know that having money saved up is a plus, but I am not sure how much would look good.

Is it worth it to start looking? Would I have more luck with independent landlords over larger companies? Should I wait until I have a definite job offer or a little more money saved up? I live close enough that I would not mind coming back to look for apartments.

Thank you so much for your time answering my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
When do you have to move...end of june? if you want an apartment, it's good to look starting a few months before you would normally do so. If it's end of june, I would start looking NOW online using sites such as domu.com, rent.com, hotpads.com, padmapper.com, etc. The market in Chicago is hot and it's unlike Grand Rapids, say that much....

Though if you're okay with roommates, I'd go that route first honestly because your money will go further with them. Where is the medical center? any idea?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM

I do not plan to move out until the beginning of August, but I worry that the longer I wait the more renters (and students) I will have to compete with.

The whole roommate option I am iffy with. I have done the roommate thing with varying results. Although, who knows what choices I will end up with.

The hospital is Loyola. I believe that it technically lays outside the city and is a commute, but I would rather move with a job and if things don't work out find a new one then pass up a good opportunity for income altogether.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxygr85 View Post
I do not plan to move out until the beginning of August, but I worry that the longer I wait the more renters (and students) I will have to compete with.

The whole roommate option I am iffy with. I have done the roommate thing with varying results. Although, who knows what choices I will end up with.
Beginning of August...I would start searching this week or next week if I were you. Again, use domu.com, rent.com, padmapper.com, hotpads.com, Sun Times (Search Chicago Homes), etc.

Cross check places on Google Maps or whatever service you use and don't be hesitant to ask about an area.

The sooner you start looking, the better. Remember though, the market is hot, so it's entirely possible you could be like "hey! yeah this place!" and 6 hours later it's taken. Hope not, but it can happen.

Quote:
The hospital is Loyola. I believe that it technically lays outside the city and is a commute, but I would rather move with a job and if things don't work out find a new one then pass up a good opportunity for income altogether.
Loyola in Maywood, IL? Yeah that's out of the city. The one thing about Chicago is that you do not need a car if you live in a number of areas. However, if you took that job and if it is in Maywood like I think, you'd probably need a car to get there and back. Are there any other hospitals you can go to or is that the only one?

Depending on which campus you're mainly in, you could maybe pull off living in an area like Pilsen. If you are mainly going to be in the Loop campus, then that's a lot more convenient. If you are going to be in the Lincoln Park campus, it's not terrible...it would be like a 25 minute train ride (counting one transfer in the Loop). Wait time may vary.

If you lived in Pilsen, then your commute to Maywood wouldn't be terrible and you'd be in an area that is cheap and near a train line. Although it's not right at DePaul, it's better than nothing and Pilsen does have some stuff going on....plus good, authentic mexican and if you like art, then that's another plus.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Thank so much for the advice! I will be beginning the apartment search.

I think I will put my resume in other places, other hospitals. Loyola is just where I have a foot in so I think I may have the best luck. I am not opposed to a closer workplace.

What is rent like in Pilsen? Public transportation as a whole?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxygr85 View Post
What is rent like in Pilsen? Public transportation as a whole?
Pilsen would be a good place if you had to work at the Maywood, IL hospital and want to live in the city. If you happen to get something somewhere else, then you may want to explore other options. I'll remind you that in Chicago you don't need a car necessarily, depending on a few things. So that means if you can get a job at a hospital in certain areas of the city, you may be able to ditch the car to free up some money (in the city you have to pay for all that parking sticker/wheel tax stuff plus insurance, gas, etc and sometimes parking).

The rent in Pilsen can be pretty cheap..depends on where in Pilsen. It's not as happening as an area like Lakeview, but there's a lot of stuff there. It was for awhile a predominately Mexican immigrant area but for awhile there's been a number of artists there and there's some good bars and food places too. It's entirely possible to get a 2 bedroom for as low as $700/month in some areas, though that may be like $900/month for a 2 bedroom.

A few of the surrounding neighborhoods can be rough around the edges though so there's that sometimes.

The Pink Line train goes through there, which is like a 20-21 hour per day line. Bus routes also go through there. It's not that far from the Loop, which is the Central Business District, and an easy transfer if you want to go to other neighborhoods via train fast that the Pink Line doesn't cover:
Deprecated Browser Error

Some places in Pilsen
* Nuevo Leon Restaurant - Pilsen - Chicago, IL
* La Casa Del Pueblo Taqueria - Pilsen - Chicago, IL
* Chayote Mexican Grill - Pilsen - Chicago, IL
* Nightwood - Chicago, IL
* Pl-zen - Pilsen - Chicago, IL
* Skylark - Chicago, IL
* Simone's Bar - Pilsen - Chicago, IL

and many more. There's a lot of good fairly authentic mexican places there.

May not be your "thing" though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago