Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 AM
cno cno started this thread

11 posts, read 18,396 times

Advertisements

Firstly, thank you real estate agents! You have successfully ruined Craigslist. Idea of CL was for people to communicate with each other without having to involve a third party. Your free-loading advertising has killed this amazing website which helped me find last several apartments as I moved between midwest, west coast and east coast!

Now topic at hand - trying to relocate back to Chicago and trying to find apartment listing by owners. DO NOT want to deal with agents for rentals. These guys are useless! Now that CL is ruined, I am at a loss of finding rentals by owners in chicago. More than 90% ads on CL listings are agents and agencies spamming the board. There are several other websites but little to no listings by owners. Please suggest a few good sources here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
It's much harder to find units that represented by the owner directly. I think Domu or Padmapper has an option to search listings posted directly by landlords. The Chicago Reader is probably mostly landlords as well, just a hunch though. That said a lot, if not the majority of units in the city (at least in the multi-unit buildings) seem to be listed by agents.

I did find my last two units on Craigslist though, directly from landlords. So it's possible, it just took a lot of digging.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cno View Post
Firstly, thank you real estate agents! You have successfully ruined Craigslist. Idea of CL was for people to communicate with each other without having to involve a third party. Your free-loading advertising has killed this amazing website which helped me find last several apartments as I moved between midwest, west coast and east coast!

Now topic at hand - trying to relocate back to Chicago and trying to find apartment listing by owners. DO NOT want to deal with agents for rentals. These guys are useless! Now that CL is ruined, I am at a loss of finding rentals by owners in chicago. More than 90% ads on CL listings are agents and agencies spamming the board. There are several other websites but little to no listings by owners. Please suggest a few good sources here.

Thanks.
Craig's List ruined Craig's List. The people who own/manage that website, I'm referring to. They have encouraged and allowed the abuse.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
cno cno started this thread

11 posts, read 18,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Craig's List ruined Craig's List. The people who own/manage that website, I'm referring to. They have encouraged and allowed the abuse.
Well housing section of that website is useless now.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Try driving/walking aroound areas of your interest. Sometimes you will find for rent signs.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cno View Post
Well housing section of that website is useless now.
Generally, Craigs List is a haven for scam artists. Lots of fraud involved with postings.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
padmapper.com used to use CL listings. Not sure if it does anymore.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Try driving/walking aroound areas of your interest. Sometimes you will find for rent signs.
This always worked best for me.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,575 times
Try Baird and Warner site...fill out what you are looking for and where as much or little as you want:

Chicago Rental Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Yes, craigslist is now a dumping ground for "apartment finders". One website I have found useful is www.yochicago.com which has information about different neighborhoods as well as lists of apartment buildings and management companies around town.

I think though walking around neighborhoods is the most effective way, writing down phone numbers for apartment buildings you like. Of the two apartments I have rented here, the first one I got that way, and I liked it a lot until the building was sold and the new owners changed it in ways I didn't care for. The second apartment search was much more frustrating, and in the end I just decided I had enough and rented an acceptable but not spectacular apartment from one of the big management companies in town that everyone has heard of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago