Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 20,348 times

Advertisements

Anyone have information on the Avondale area? Just doing a little research before I move into any one area. I am planning on moving to Chicago in a few weeks. I've received some great feedback on the Logan Square and Wicker Park area. I am now curious about the Avondale area or any area close to the El "blue line.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Avondale is a bit of a mixed bag. It's not a particularly gentrified area. It's something of an immigrant community; Mexican/Latino immigrants are scattered throughout the North and Northwest side but there is a pretty high concentration in Avondale. This affects the quality of life in aesthetic/superficial ways; namely, it's not a "neat and tidy" neighborhood. It's still relatively quiet and pretty safe by big-city standards, but it's quite a different neighborhood than Wicker Park, which is thoroughly gentrified. Logan Square is a bit harder to peg down; it's one of the strangest and truly diverse neighborhoods in the city. I described it in a different thread thus: "Logan Square is a very odd mix of retro-indie hipsters, yuppies and gangbangers all living side by side."

Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
That is a very good description of Logan Square. That has been my experience and impression as as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,787 times
its gangbangers everywhere u go

Old 11-22-2010, 07:59 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Avondale is a bit of a mixed bag. It's not a particularly gentrified area. It's something of an immigrant community; Mexican/Latino immigrants are scattered throughout the North and Northwest side but there is a pretty high concentration in Avondale. This affects the quality of life in aesthetic/superficial ways; namely, it's not a "neat and tidy" neighborhood. It's still relatively quiet and pretty safe by big-city standards, but it's quite a different neighborhood than Wicker Park, which is thoroughly gentrified. Logan Square is a bit harder to peg down; it's one of the strangest and truly diverse neighborhoods in the city. I described it in a different thread thus: "Logan Square is a very odd mix of retro-indie hipsters, yuppies and gangbangers all living side by side."
Logan Square is also home to a bazillion Mexican and Puerto Ricans who run the gamut from ghetto to fully Americanized/6 figure white collar workers.

If you look within a 3 block radius of the Belmont stop you'll be fine and it will have a more urban/commercial feel (I've been just SE of Belmont/Kimball for 9 years), but Avondale is block by block as a whole. You've got a nice mix of still-surviving industrial sectors, fixer-uppers, and people moving there from Lake View, Logan & Irving Park. The Jackowo section on Milwaukee is also very cool, authentic old world delis, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM

67 posts, read 182,442 times
Are your planning on having a car? If not, I'd suggest staying somewhere near the El or Milwaukee ave. Avondale is a large area, and amenities there tend to be much more spread out than in a denser area, like Wicker Park or Lakeview.

Also, traffic can get pretty heavy in Avondale during the day, especially along Belmont or where Elston hits California and Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: